Racism has no place here

Roger86
Level 2
Fairfax, VA

Racism has no place here

Hi!

I am a new host. My very first guest and her daughter are staying in my unit as I type. So far my experience with Airbnb and hosts and guests have all been very positive. However, I think Airbnb really needs to figure out a way to get the racist hosts off the site. Here's the most read article of the day in the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/04/07/one-word-says-it-all-asian-airbnb-host-re...

Generally speaking hotels are subject to Innkeeper Liabilities, which includes a duty to accommodate without discrimination. Airbnb hosts however are not under such liabilities. In a few states, hosts are now considered Landlords but in others not even that. Guests are either defined as tenants or licensees. Being deemed a landlord subjects hosts to a much lower level of liability than a hotel. It seems like Airbnb as company isn't liabile, because at most, it is considered a Travel Agency. 

Not that I want more liabilities as a landlord but this is the reason why this crap keeps happening. I appreciate all the efforts that Airbnb has already put in place to discourage discrimination. This kind of behavoir is so contrary to the spirit of Airbnb that it is turning away guests and hosts. This is not only not cool, this is bad for business.

18 Replies 18
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Roger86  Thank you for the article link.  The guest experienced a horrible time at the hands of the host.  Have you read the full Non-Discrimination Policy? I think it covers most discrimination, but I don't know what you expect Air BNB, which is a booking platform, to do about discrimination in a proactive way.  Like so many undesireable host situations, it requires guest reporting and Air BNB reaction.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I think this may be happening more and more as Airbnb becomes focused on the number of guests they service and more and more hosts join the site.  Lots of people where I live are buying property specifically to use as Airbnb 'investments'.  I don't know if they think that will go around the rules of various city laws regarding tenant/landlord or hotel/guest because they are using Airbnb (because they can't ...they are still either a rental or a hotel) but whatever the case, it is clear the original mission of Airbnb has become lost as more hosts join the site.  You cannot discriminate on race in any situation.  You can turn folks away based on their criminal history or rental history or credit when renting a property, but I am not sure if that is the case in a hotel situation, they may have to take all if they pay.  In a tenant/landlord situation, you cannot discriminate based or race or religious affiliation.  Removing someone has rules too, in every city, which superceede Airbnb rules.  Airbnb is just a place that connects guests and hosts.  Airbnb is profit-centered, so as they get bigger, the original mission will change becuase who the heck will turn away money, right?!  They are making crazy money and trust me, they know where to draw the line so they are not resopnsible if something goes wrong with a host or a guest.   

Sadly racism is all over the place and once you get large groups of people together, you are going to get a bad apple or two in the mix.  I encountered agism through Airbnb by a guest...AGISM, which I guess the older I get the more I notice it and is makes me angry the same as blantent racism does.  Yes, I"m old, yes...I have a certain way of doing things but I've gotten this far in life--maybe the youngesters could take a page from my book...lol.  You get all sorts through Airbnb...just like in life!

Roger86
Level 2
Fairfax, VA

I fully understand that it is impossible to screen out racists and other people who discriminate before they sign up as hosts. I am glad that Airbnb has a non-discrimination cluse that every host has to agree to prior to joining and I believe they do have a strict policy against violators.

I believe Airbnb and ths host community need to be vigilant about this for two reasons. First, I do not want to be associated with people who are prejudicial against others based on race, age, sexual orientation...etc. I know their existence in Airbnb is an unintended consequence but this is also a cultural thing, if it is not taken seriously, can become pervasive and ruin a beautiful thing. Second, as an attorney, I am concerned about the regulatory aspects this business. However you categorize it, Airbnb is a huge part of the hospitality industry, it runs into the same issues as hotels. I am sure the majority of hosts operate perfectly well without abusing guests. However, the more bad headline news like this, the more ammunition the hotel industry has to lobby for more legislation to regulate Airbnb like a hotel. I certainly don't want that and I am sure most hosts don't either.

So, what do I expect? I think the non-discrimination agreement is a good starting point but if Airbnb can presist in its messaging and build tools to prevent some things, educate hosts why discrimination is not only not cool, that it will ruin a great thing for everyone else, a culture can be built around this. Sure, it might never be perfect but perhaps it can be reduced to a minimum.

I think us hosts have an important role too. Just like learning how to get all the other practical aspects of our units to the best possible condition to attract guests, we are all part of a brand that we need to protect. So, as long as this continues to happen, I am going to have to voice my thoughts and I hope someone listens.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Roger86 Well said, Roger, and I definitely agree there is a host responsibility as well.  Since you are a new host you probably were not part of the host reaction to Air BNB requiring each host to agree to the Non-Discrimination Policy.  There was quite a bit of backlash posted on the host forum.  In my opinion the backlash mostly reflected two themes - loss of control and fear of strangers.  Some hosts were outraged that Air BNB should dictate how hosts would conduct their own businesses.  Some hosts were afraid that they would have to allow guests who represented a life style that they found repugnant or dangerous.  

As a psychologist, it was interesting to me how people came to grips (or not) with the new requirement.  Many blamed Air BNB for-profit motivation without regard for the hosts.  In fact that is often the theme of reactions to many changes Air BNB implements.

I have a great trust in the long term positive effects of freedom of expression and I think this forum provides a great platforum for such expression.  Again, thanks for sharing the article.

Jack-And-Kristy0
Level 2
Des Moines, IA

Racism from guests is causing us cancellations from certain guests and then they leave a negative review saying they didn't feel safe. Next, we get a cancellation from another guest, booked one month out, stating she was cancelling because she didn't think the neighborhood is safe. As a host and co-owner of the property, I know it is as safe as the all white neighborhoods. Our ad states it is an ethnically mixed neighborhood. I have even looked at crime statistics for our block and they are good. My co-host is 75% black and when he shows them the rental, we are getting cancellations. I suppose that there is nothing that we can do about it.

@Jack-And-Kristy0  Why do you have flowers instead of a personal picture on your profile?  I would not accept you as a guest, not because of your race or ethnicity but because you are a purple flower!!  Do not play the race card.  Your listing is very honest and complete.  You have mostly great reviews except for a somewhat negative review with a super long and defensive response.  The review, btw, was not that bad and it hit on issues that you focus on in your description.   You also have an unexplained cancellation review which does not help the guest feel confidence.

I think you must be a great host to have put so much effort into restoring an old home, furnishing it with old but clean furnishings and providing great value for the rate.  Your racism issue may have merit, but I don't know.  I do know that even negative feedback can help me do better.  Stereotypes always miss details of truth.  I am pretty sure I have pissed you off, but I speak from the heart, not from a racist point of view.

It was my decision to have flowers as a photo because I am 66 years old and I don't like the way that  I look in photos. Others post flowers or pets as photos. I am white and my business partner is black. I don't know what to do about the negative review about cancelling? I talked to Airbnb about it and they suggested canceling. The guest had broken several house rules. He made the reservation for 1 person and then had 4-5 stay there. He went into two locked unfinished rooms and moved things in and out, leaving one door open with the key in it. The keys were fastened to a nail up high on the framing of the doors. They were only for our use when cleaning the house. When my business partner greets the guests and shows them around, and he tells me they look at him funny, I believe him.  He has experienced racism multiple times in his life. Thanks for sharing. Kristy

@Jack-And-Kristy0

Kirsty - we all must continue to discuss and tackle racism so thank you for posting.

on another point - PLEASE contact Airbnb about the cancellation! From what you have said about it - it should not have been a penalty on your listing - you had a guest who broke the rules and was removed. Airbnb should remove that - but you will need to go through the hassle of phoning (try twitter also @airbnbhelp) and waiting for ages- but you should be successful if you explain the facts.

That will go some way in restoring your profile.

Best Wishes.

Linda,

I think it's a moot point to question why she has a flower as a profile photo.  Obviously she has her reasons.  I do not show my face in my profile photo as well, due to privacy concerns.  I believe there's nothing wrong with that.  Guests and hosts alike have he ability to look at profiles, read reviews, take in listing photos, etc to be able to determine if the host/guest situation will be a good situation for both parties.  If a guest is opposed to staying with a host that doesn't reveal a photo of themselves why would they ever request to book in the first place?  If a guest or a host requests/accepts a reservations request from a profile of a user that doesn't have an actual photo of themselves it should be safe to assume that they have no racist, bigoted, sexist, prejudiced, etc ways and that they'd be happy with whomever opened the door.  

I am of African descent and I have had guests appear to be surprised when they meet me.  I have had guests appear uncomfortable upon meeting me.  I most recently had a guest that failed to research my neighborhood prior to booking and admit to me that she was afraid of Black men.  So being in Harlem marred her stay as she was uncomfortable the entire time.  Thankfully 95% of my guests have been open minded, friendly and pleased with the location and accommodations.  There are some guests however who just aren't pleased with the idea of being around someone who doesn't look like them.  I don't understand that and never will.  In my opinion if one doesn't genuinely love people they shouldn't be hosting or using Airbnb's platform as a guest.  

As for your comment to the previous user "using the race card", I do hope you realize how insulting that is to attempt to trivialize her experience that you will never know about.

Since this posting a few months ago, @T16, Air BNB now does not publish the picture of the guest for the host until the reservation is confirmed.  That is fine with me.  I just want to be able to recognize the guest when they arrive.  I don't make a decision about accepting the guest based on a picture.  However, I would still like to see a human picture when I accept the reservation, so this works for me.  I am pretty sure that the host picture is available to guests, however.

@Jack-And-Kristy0

I don't know if that's the case.  I live in a REALLY NICE neighborhood and everytime Lyft or Uber drops someone off at my house, I get something like:  "Your neighborhood is really unsafe" because the drivers all think they are experts on what's good or not good.  Ugh......the lady behind me just sold her house for a record 1.2 million...my next door neighbors listed their place at half a million.  I"m the trash in my neighborhood....lol.  Seriously, I actually think it's the people don't have an appreciation for older homes or older areas or what I think is an exciting 'transitioning area'. Wherever you live in America, half a million isn't awful, sorry...but it's not.   I've had rentals in the worst parts of town and I have to say- there are some hidden gems and as long as you aren't looking for trouble, it won't find you regardless of where you are.  People just need to use common sense when walking around or exploring unfamiliar areas.

That all having been said, racism is all over the place but I have yet to experience anything but genuine niceness from my ABB guests.  You have to keep in mind that this is a service we are providing and people want expensive champagne on a tap water budget- so they are going to say things or be a little more picky but if they book your home, they have read your listing and it fits whatever they are looking for.  It may not be racism as much as they are the reciever of the service and they are just being how people are when they are getting a service--some people are just never satisfied.  Some people never say a nice thing.  Some people are just goofy.  I don't think 99% of the people who book anyone's place are in it to be mean and hateful.  

I don't know if that helps you but I think most people aren't seeing color..they are seeing genuine goodness.  Someone who books through ABB is looking for a cultural exchange and a good deal- they are not looking to pick a fight or to book a place so they can go on vacation and be mean-spirited for kicks.  This is supposed to be a fun thing.  I sure get a kick out of my guests--and we have had the gammit of characters lol. 

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

The day you wipe out racism, I will prepare a meal for you that will make you weep.  Copiously.

This thing is here to stay.

It's not just in the US, it's worldwide.

I can live with racism... it's discrimination that gets me panties all twisted up.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB is a booking site, tries to differentiate itslef a bit, but that is its core activity.

It is not a Hotel, owns no properties, just an intermediatory.

I assumed that the Policy was a PR issue, seems totally focussed at Hosts even though it was supposed to be a Community issue. Amused me that they would harp on such a thing when so much about the system is discriminatory by its nature.

David

Racism is not only an unfair reality but it hurts business. I would not be surprised if there is a decrease in bookings in the USA this year because many tourists who are not the "right colour" or have an English last name feel that they would not be welcome in Trump's America where some people are so open about being racist. I do believe that Airbnb will weed out the racists, but it is up to everyone who notices the behaviour or is victimized by it to report it to Airbnb.