Racist Rallies Near Me (in San Francisco!)

Bill133
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Racist Rallies Near Me (in San Francisco!)

Neo-Nazis plan a rally here and VRBO has been amazingly proactive.  I can't reach anyone at airbnb directly and hope they will do something similar to what VRBO has posted. See below:

"If you are concerned that travelers you have booked on our platform may be in violation of this policy and you wish to cancel, please contact us at 877-228-3145and HomeAway will take the necessary action to cancel the booking and alert the traveler. (Note: If you feel the need to cancel due to a possible policy violation, your overall search ranking will not be impacted.)"

22 Replies 22

Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea. It's great that Airbnb stood up to racism, in Charlottesville. I wonder why they haven't made this a general principle or shared it with Hosts elsewhere? It's just what's needed.

There is a neo-Nazi rally here in San Francisco coming up, amazingly. It is happening in many places.

Thanks again.

HI, I live just outside of Cville and I had a flurry of requests - odd requests - in the week leading up to the march/ violence/ riots in Cville.  I rejected the requests because they were so out-of-pattern for the usual way ABB guests communicate with me as a host... then I blocked the weekend.  Did ABB communicate with the Cville hosts?  No one communicated with me.  I got 6 requests over a few days (in and of itself out of pattern for me)... was ABB screening even these odd ones?  I'm writing to suggest that if ABB is going to block/ protect a city, they should probably protect the area round the city, too.  I find, in the wake of these events, I would appreciate some language for my RULES or better yet, AirBNB adding some language to protect hosts... for example, I am noticing I am woried about people bringing GUNS onto my property.  I don't want them here, but how can I have that as a RULE under the constitution??  What are MY rights?  What am I communicating to guests if I commnet on guns in my post/ rules?

Booking requests have dropped off in the area (back to school time or is it neg local press?) - I think this is a good thing, while I & my community recover & while we all figure out how to handle this "brave new world".  I would hate to stop hosting under ABB, I have so enjoyed my guests!  Thank you all for posting & trying to think this thing through, as a community.

You could put in your House Rules no guns, begs the question if they were not open carrying how you would know.

There is also the issue the most Guests do not seem to read the House Rules.

David

ABSOLUTELY it is your right, on your private property, to disallow weapons of any kind.  You can defnitely include it in your house rules.  If people "sneak" then it is the same as in breaking any house rule. 

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

VRBO is great, but how do you know the guest is a Neo Nazi?

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Isn't it obvious Ann?

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Bill133 It is so hard to determine if a guest is racist or not! I believe many hosts have hosted racist guests as well as many guests have been hosted by racist hosts without knowing as it is impossible to describe what is going on in the human mind.Happy hosting.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think this rally will not succed unless they wear flowers in their hair and become peacemakers standing for pacifism 🙂

San Francisco is one of the most liberal cities in the US 🙂

I am joking, of course.