Rate per Night?

Rate per Night?

I have two questions:

1. Can someone tell me why the night rate I am charged varies from week to week with the same host? I have discussed this with my host, and have been advised that it has always been the same rate, and the rate has been increasing over time. In the last 2 weeks it's been different, and least $10 per night over the rate that my host has set!!! When go book with the same host which I have saved as a favourite it shows the night is $x, then when I proceed to book it states the night rate is $x + $10 at least.
  2. Also, the Airnb guest service fee help states that the rate is 6 - 12% depending on specifics, what are are the specifics, and why does it seem the rate is always 12%?

I will be interested in the response from other guests.

Thanks in advance.

27 Replies 27
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Robert,

Hosts set a base price and then they can set prices for specific dates meaning I could have a different price for every night of the month. If you are looking at a listing without any dates entered, it will show the base price but if you put in a date range, it will average out the dates you selected and show you that rate. If you want, you can share your hosts listing here and I could show you what I mean.

I do not know how Airbnb decides on their rate but also know it can be higher than 12%.

@Lizzie, I thought the CC was only open to hosts at the moment. Did I miss another announcement?

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Lizzie, I thought the CC was only open to hosts at the moment. Did I miss another announcement?

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I would think it appropiate that both hosts and guest should have access to the community, without either there is no community or Airnb, and believe that guests have a right to have access to this knowledge as well!!!

Hi @Robert33,

Please don't take exception to my comment.  The Community Center will be a place for Hosts and Guests but right now it is suppose to be just open to hosts.  There is currently a host-only section, called groups, which Airbnb will be closing.  Not sure @Robert33 why you as a guest would need to "have access to this (hosting) knowledge".  I won't get into the politics of why several hosts will not be coming from the old "groups" to here but since you now have access to the CC, you can find this "knowledge" yourself which will provide many host's point why the Host section should be private.

Dave

David

Dave,

I don't take exception, but your statement that some hosts will not return to the CC as a guest now has access implies that there is something to hide which I don't believe is the purpose of a community site. It's a matter of ethics?

I will follow up with my host on my orginal question, and thanks for the feedback.

Robert

@Robert33,

The information you seek is not something that hosts want to hide.  There are several times when a host wants some advice which could have to do with a terrible guest for example.  I do not think that other guests need to see this type of discussion on the CC.  This is just one example.

I also did answer your original question but I will draw you a picture:

robert.png

Your host Hector charges $73USD per night on weekdays and $63USD per night on weekends.  If I don't put dates in, it shows me $66 but once I hover over dates on the calendar, it will show how much he charges for each night.  Once I put the dates in, it will take the date range and average them out.  So 3 nights at $73 and one night at $63 = $282 then divided by 4 nights it is $70.50 per night which they round up.

robert2.png

Now I know he probably charges you in a different currency but this is the currency I am set at now.

Hopefully now this makes sense!

Dave

David

Dave,

It does make sense, and like I said I will discuss with my host. I asked a generic question and wanted to respect the privacy of my host, so I don't believe it is appropriate to post his details. Now I sure I not the only guest who has had this question, and won't be the last. The community is just the place to ask this!

If the issue you have is a guest having access, is not my problem, it's Airnbs and your issue, so I suggest you contact Airnb. By becoimng a host myself I can get access to this information anytime, as I'm sure many guests have done, and hosts have become guests.

Robert

I have spoken to my host, who has various rates during the week, but Monday to Thursday nights when I stay it is set at $89 AUD, plus I booked from one week to the next as per an agreement with my host. I do not book weeks in advance, as it is a financial issue as I work for myself and am away from home on these days. I have gone back and looked at my bookings with same host (have been here about 4 months basically every week), the rates per night start at $89 per night for the first few weeks, then go up to $90 - $92, then the last 2 months it varies from week to week, either $99 or $100 per night. As per Dave's example below, I have looked at the average, that doesn't seem right either!!! Sorry Dave.

So, $89 AUD is the rate from my host, I book for the following week, it charges me $99 per night. I look some weeks in advance, about mid March and the rate my host has set is correct at $89 per night. I have contacted the Airnb help desk via phone, they did not get it, or did not explain to my satifaction.

So why is it so? Very frsutrated with this......

Very frustrated,

Hi @Robert33,

If you look at your host's calendar, he has currently set his rate at $99 per night during the week for the month of February.  He then has the weekdays in March set as $89 so it is not something Airbnb is doing, it is the pricing your host is setting.

February weekdays set at $99

Room with a Million Dollar View   Apartments for Rent in Kingsford1.png

March weekdays set at $89 

Room with a Million Dollar View   Apartments for Rent in Kingsford.png

Dave

David

Dave,

I will discuss with my host again, as we went through this together on our respective Airnb sites to compare notes.

Will let you know.

Thanks,

Robert

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Good morning @Dave-and-Deb0,

Just to come back to you on your question, at the moment nearly everyone in the CC are hosts, we have not launched this to guests yet and therefore they will not be receiving any prompts or any signposting from the website. This said, there have been a very few number of guests posting here, I imagine this is either because they are also hosts or perhaps they have found the CC organically/through a friend/host. They are very welcome to post here though. 

I hope this helps. Thanks. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Finally sorted this out with my host. He called Airnb and asked why is the displayed rate  $99 AUD per night when he has set $89 per night, the answer from Airnb is that they apply seasonal pricing and automatically increase the rate. My host was not aware of this, and has been infomed that he can offer me a specific rate, or after a while the seasonal pricing does not apply.

Hopefully, this saga is now over!!!!!!

Well as a host of over two years this is news to me!!!  As far as I'm aware I've never ever heard of AirBNB doing pricing - they explicitly tell hosts pricing is up to us. 

He CAN do a special offer - but I think this 'AirBNB applys seasonal pricing' line is, frankly, minimally a statement of evidence of him not knowing how his own calendar works.  

We set our own standard price, can set weekend pricing, can set certain prices on certain days - but if we only ever set a standard price, that is the price that is charged forever.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

I Guess i just don't understand the issue, Airbnb is giving you an average nightly rate  on the stay based on both rates.. .. Have you ever been to las vegas? every night is a different rate.. weekends are higher than week days, when rooms book up, rates go up, big show in town,.. rates are sky high.