Rating System - suggested improvements

Stacey69
Level 4
Park City, UT

Rating System - suggested improvements

I get the concept of Airbnb's rating system.   I like the fact that we can publicly reply and rate our guests as well.  However, I think that the owners are at an unfair advantage as it's not clear to guests that anything less than a 5 star review is actually a negative review.  If you are going to use that much weight on the ratings, the questions need to be a lot more clear.  Plus the questions should make them consider the price they paid, the accuracy of the actual listing, the location that they agreed to stay in.  I’ve gotten negative reviews on the “accuracy” of my listing due to small maintenance issues (i.e. the air conditioner was making a loud noise — that doesn’t mean that I lied on my listing!  That just means that they need to contact me, so I can get it fixed.  Something that worked yesterday may not work tomorrow - that’s life, but I do the best I can to fix any issue as quickly as possible - clearly guests don't understand this question).  Or I’ve gotten less than 5 stars because of the location or because the building is older (which was clearly explained in the listing and obviously reflected in the price — so it’s completely inaccurate for them to rate me less because of it). 

Suggestion to Airbnb:  clearer questions and examples on how to rate and answer.  Be more clear that this is NOT your typical 5 star hotel rating system.  Some of my older listings are comparable to a 3-star hotel.  They are updated and in a nice neighborhood, and I do a great job as a host -but the building and public spaces are older.  The location is a little further from the main areas in town.  I’d give it a 3 star if I'm rating the property itself.  But I also price it as a 3-star stay.  So - on Airbnb's scale it should deserve a 5 star rating from each and every guest!

This is the issue:  Airbnb guests see the ratings as an analogue to the hotel industry, where one star is your typcial flea bag motel, 3 stars is OK, 4 stars is a very fine experience, and 5-star ratings are for the most over-the-top luxurious experiences with 5-star ameneties. 

One more thing:  I've noticed that the most critical reviews are from those that get the best deals via "price tips" and "special offers" -- I'm really starting to second guess the value of those price tips or the quality of renters they attract. 

Suggestion:  Make guests rating public from their profile!  Give the owners a chance to check a guests' history of ratings so we can see if they are this type of guest who complains about silly things.  Most owners are going to give their guests good reviews, so those are pretty worthless in my eyes - especially if they were quiet during their stay.  The true test is how they rate their hosts!  I would love to see how many of the people who were hard on me were equally hard on every place they've stayed. Some people just like to complain!

24 Replies 24
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

But the last paragraph of your post, all the issues have been raised in the forum multiple times. The ratings showing at all are a new feature after yet some other debates a couple of weeks ago.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Lily88
Level 1
Port Angeles, WA

This has been discussed over and over again on these forums, and at least as far as I can tell Airbnb hasn't offered any type of response to anyone who had complained about the ratings system. It is obvious that there is a big disconnect between what guests think the rating system works, and how Airbnb considers them. I can't imagine that they aren't aware of the problem, yet I've seen nothing to indicate that changes are being considered.

@Stacey69    I have also noticed the most troublesome and labor intensive guests, and the ones who get a discount ( I did it once, never again) always give the worst ratings - classic projection.  It's as if they are rating themselves.

Totally agree!  No more discounts or price tips from me!

The same thing just happened to me! I'm pretty new to Airbnb, so I took the price tip suggestion. I had a a guest and her boyfriend who seemed nice enough. No complaints, they thanked me for everything, etc. I noticed that the guest had a 4 star rating for cleanliness, but I took a chance and figured maybe one of the hosts was having a bad day. Fast forward to checkout day, I noticed that my overall rating went down . She gave me a 3 for cleanliness because she said that the wallflower plugin in her room bothered her allergies and she could hardly breathe. Instead of simply asking me to take it out, she putt it on top of my antique dresser. The wallflower leaked and the oil ate through the finish on the dresser. So I had to contact the resolution center and they removed the review for inaccurate content and I sent her a bill fir the damage. Please excuse any typos. Trying to write on my phone. 

@Stacey0 wrote:

Totally agree!  No more discounts or price tips from me!

Stacey69
Level 4
Park City, UT

Good to know that others feel the same way!   I actually started a new topic on just my last point (about making guests comments public from their profile, so they can be accountable for a trend of bad reviews).  This isn't a new thing - Yelp, Google, Facebook, etc - all have a user's collection of ratings visible on their profile page.  I think this would be very helpful as a host.  

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Stacey69 please kindly check Airreview a chrome extension, click

I have to say this add-on help me more than two times.

One is a guest who already stays and I just found out how much they need a slipper! My second time is a guest who always complains about the location in every review. 

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Stacey69 and I think what guest writing is more important than their stair, their review from the host. It shows a guest perspective to Airbnb their stay, some see as a hotel, some see us as a person.

yes some guests also just see it as a tool to attack the host, not reasonable in some cases.

they have bizarre expectations, expecting a 5star hotel situation in a basment for instance, some guests are very reasonavle too.

Airbnb should review the current questions and should not post guest reviews that arent consistent with at least 70% of other guests reviews on a particular home.

my suggestion

Leoni7
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

Hi I got a 4 star rating because the location where we live "got dark too early" and another one  was  "because the  internet ran slow one day"... neither of these things were under my control ...

Julie4
Level 6
Brighton, United Kingdom

I would agree, especially with the last paragraph in Stacey's first post. Guests have very different expectations, particularly cultural ones, some far more realistic than others. Value for money is often compared to what they might pay at home rather than how it compares to other listings in the local area. I've learnt that however hard you try some reviews are great when you least expect and some aren't when you can try your hardest. It's very subjective. Unfortunately, I am driven to sometimes taking one booking over another when there is a pattern in different cultural expectations to avoid negative feedback I don't feel is deserved.

I also feel that anything less than 5 stars is seen to be a negative, particularly when Airbnb send automated messages suggesting things could be improved if you don't get 5 stars. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Stacey69 What a great post! I totally agree with you and I would advice Airbnb to educate guests about the rating system when they are signing up on the network. An uneducated new guest will always tend to criticize you more than an experience one. Happy hosting!!! 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

Very few properties on airbnb actually deserve 4 or 5 stars if The rating system is supposed to be similar to that of the hotel rating system. And that’s not clear and it’s not fair for potential guests either to see so many places rated five stars. Just like in the hotel industry, even the best Motel 6 shouldn’t get the same rating as a four seasons Hotel, the same should be with Airbnb and just because someplace  is a budget listing rated 2 stars  airbnb should not penalize the lessor. To me, only a place that’s located on the beach or on a hillside with the 360° view or something of that nature deserves a five star for location. I have stayed in 2 star  economy lodging for  $100  a night and 5  star lodging for $500 a night. They are not equal, nor do people expect them to be.

I totally agree!  There should be total seperation on the level/location/quality/host, b/c those are things I'd like to know when I book.  AND - I know that there is, b/c when I'm traveling, I see those seperately.   But as  host, it's all combined into one total rating -- I currently have 4.4, but I don't even know what that means b/c there is no way for a host to see the breakdown.  What brought me down??  Apparently a 4.4 means I need to work MUCH harder as a host, according to the emails I get from Airbnb...  Location?  Listing Accuracy?  Cleanliness?  Value??  I don't even know!!!  Tell me!!!   Location has nothing to do with me becoming a "superhost"  (location?  you know the location when you book it and it's surely reflected in the price).  As traveler, I'd love to know if it's equivalent to a 3 star hotel or 5 star.  As a host, I wouldn't mind my older listings being a 3 star, b/c they were -- but the price reflects that, so that shouldn't hurt me as a host.

How do all these ratings/questions play into our "superhost" status and search results?