Rating System

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Rating System

Hello everyone!

Unless you own a 5 star location in one of the world's favorite tourist spots, you are likely to experience issues with the rating system. The attached article articulates very succinctly why the ratings system is not in line with the reality of the Airbnb experience, why is is unfair and how it produces an inordinate amount of stress for hosts. I would like as many people as possible to read it, and chime in on how the system can be changed to make the ratings more equitable for hosts. My thoughts are this, ask a series of yes/no questions, like "was the home adequately clean?" rather than give the stars. The number of "yes's" then determines the rating for the home. I think the current sytem gives guests, especially bad ones, way too much power. Please read the article and let me know what you think. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

JUN 29, 2016 @ 09:15 AM 29,795

The One Issue With Airbnb Reviews That Causes Hosts To Burnout

Seth Porges , CONTRIBUTOR

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

It almost goes without saying: The rating and review systems built into services such as Airbnb are absolutely key to their success. Ratings help build in a sense of trust, accountability, and a crazy cocktail of stress and eustress that encourages both hosts and guests to be on their best behavior. In other words: Without ratings and reviews, Airbnb would basically just be Craigslist.

But as a longtime Airbnb host, I can say that there's one very big difference between the way Airbnb hosts and many of the service's guests view reviews, and it's one that causes an almost unbelievable amount of tension and stress for hosts.

How many Airbnb guests see ratings: As an analogue to the hotel industry, where four stars is a very fine experience, and five-star ratings are only reserved for the most over-the-top luxurious experiences.

How Airbnb hosts see ratings: As a reflection of how well they meet reasonable expectations based on what their listing promises. So if I give you a great experience at a great price, it should be rated five stars—even if it's in a very modest apartment.

It's not hard to see how this discrepancy can cause problems for hosts. I've had guests leave me a four-star rating, yet say the stay was absolutely perfect. Their reason: It wasn't the Ritz-Carlton, with a pool, room service, and all the other frills that come with a five-star hotel stay. For an Airbnb host who delivers everything they promise at a rock-bottom price, it can be disheartening, exhausting, and flat-out depressing to get four-star reviews because they "aren't the Ritz". 

Not to mention the one Airbnb rating category that causes untold amounts of angst for Airbnb hosts (and angry posts on host forums): The "Location" category. Their thought: A unit's location is clearly visible on a neighborhood map that is shown to guests before booking. This is both impossible to fudge, and something that a guest actively chooses. And unless a host is renting a mobile home or boat, it's also the one category that is impossible for a host to do anything about (we can't very well pick up and move our house).

What many guests don't understand is that anything less than a five-star review can cause serious issues for a host. The Airbnb platform actually delivers stress-inducing warnings if we get four-star ratings. And anything less than five stars can have a serious and detrimental impact on a host's placement in the all-important search rankings—causing damage to a host's financial well-being that a guest may not be aware of. And Airbnb's "Super Host" program—which offers perks such as higher search placement and better customer service to extraordinary hosts—requires us to get five-star reviews in at least 80 percent of bookings: A very high (and very stressful) bar to climb if even the occasional guest who had a great stay is leaving four stars.

To an Airbnb host, this creates an extraordinary level of anxiety, and a somewhat antagonistic relationship with guests. As hosts, we find ourselves sussing out and picking guests almost entirely based on how we predict their final review will stand. Everything from the potential guest's profile photo, to their initial message, to the reviews they've left for past stays is looked at to try to determine how many stars we think they'll give at the end of their stay. If a guest has left a trail of poor reviews for other hosts, we're likely to pass on their patronage. It's simply too risky. It also makes us less likely to turn on the "Instant Book" feature, since a particularly needy or demanding guest could book, only to leave us a poor review.

A lot of this antagonism could be sorted if sharing economy sites such as Airbnb did a better job of presenting reviews and ratings as reflections of what a guest expected and paid for. The current "star"-based rating system is simply too similar to what is commonly seen in hotels—a similarity that encourages guests to view it with the same grammar. Adding language that frames ratings and reviews as a reflection of what was expected and paid for will also make it easier for potential guests to better compare properties (a star rating is no longer useful if some guests are leaving reviews with a luxury hotel as an anchor, while others are doing it based on what they expected and paid for), while also encouraging hosts to offer a great experience at whatever price they happen to offer.

Being an Airbnb host is a lot of fun, but it can also be emotionally exhausting when you feel you've done everything you can to cater to an ungrateful guest. Including language that clears up this little issue with the way hosts and guests see reviews and ratings would go a long way towards fighting host burnout, and encouraging us to open our doors for years to come.

4 Replies 4
Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Liz140

I have 10 budget listings, and unfortunately got slammed three times in last month as all prices went up around me and I got some more undesirable guests.  I essentially got 'Review Blackmailed' by 3 guests in 3 seperate ways, and of course airbnb put me on hold and then just hung up the phone.

One guest left me one star review and claimed my place was moldy, smelly, dirty top to bottom, and that I would retaliate against any guests with constructive criticism, all because I didn't provide her an extra towel.  I didn't even leave her a bad review, but her claims of dirtiness and Retaliation stick.

Another guest wanted to check out later then the listed checkout time, asks me in airbnb chat, I confirm the listed checkout time is correct.  He uses course language, says my listing 'Sucks!' and leaves me one star for not agreeing to let him check out later.

3rd guest stayed for a week and asked me to let him book offsite for a discount.  When I told him I do all the bookings throught the site and price was listed there, he went from happy and wanting to rebook to hitting me in review for being 'too expensive' and leaves bad rating.

Especially the last one flabbergasts me.  The guest TRIED to cheat Airbnb out of it's cut, and for the crime of followign Airbnb rules and not cheating them out of money, I got a bad review and they don't care.

I've actually started looking into getting a class action started over cyberbullying, because that's what it amounts to when they let guests rampantly abuse you.  Even if it's few guests, there is ZERO system in place clearly to deal with this clearly very real issue.

I would agree that they are not as responsive as most of us would like, and I have had some awful guests, including several severely mentally ill people who actually had their rooms paid for by a mental health agency, (can you imagine a severe schizophrenic who can't even utter a single coherent sentence showing up at the door of a single female?)  but I have found that if you keep it all on the website chat, then it helps. I am always honest about the guests behavior, (I don't cut them any slack, because if they are bad, it would be great if a previous host let me know.) Doing this makes it more credible when complaining to Airbnb about how awful they were. Also I always try to engage them in chat about their rating and get they to say, if they really thought they place was bad. I might even ask them if there's anything I can do (don't offer $$) to get them to change the review to make it accurate. Usually they will take the bait and you can prove it was blackmail, simply show this to Airbnb and get the review taken off. But be careful, you don't want to give the appearance that you are trying to "buy" a good review, this is taboo. But if you can get them to fess up to their blackmail, you can get rid of the review. Hope this helps.

I have personally expereinced the guests want to book outside the system and i didn't let her.  Ended up with a 4 star review saying accuracy was 2.  Airbnb can only sound like a broken record saying - unless they violated the content, they won't do anything about the review and or even an unfair rating.

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Liz140Complaints about the rating system are very common on here. Nobody likes a 4*! However, I disagree with the article's comments about location. No, we can't move our property. But, location is much more than seeing the property on Google Earth.

Quick example, we stayed in a flat this summer that had a great location on paper - easy access to the beach, shops and restaurants. But, every morning at 3am all the bins in the street were emptied. No longer a good location, and something we could not tell from the Airbnb map. Moved 3 street away, problem solved for the rest of the stay.

Our property is on a main road roundabout in a small town. Location is our lowest rating, but we get great reviews. We've learnt to take the crunchy with the smooth!