Rating guests

Rating guests

I’m a brand new host, and I’m putting way more thought than I probably should into reviewing the guest who just left. Generally the place was left OK, but they left food in the refrigerator (raw chicken, milk). I’m inclined to leave a 4 star review, but I don’t want that to affect their review of us. 

Should I just give them five stars, because leaving food in the fridge isn’t that big a deal? Is it worth giving them the feedback?

Thanks!

Darci

12 Replies 12
Benjamin836
Level 3
San Juan, TX

Leaving food behind is ok on my side. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jim-and-Darci0  Neither party can see the other review until both have been posted. 

I do sincerely hope you never experience the guest who does malicious damage to your home or breaks the big rules, but such experience has a way of putting 'left food in the fridge' into perspective.

@Colleen253 , gotcha! This is literally only our second guest to stay with us, so you’re absolutely right! I should keep it in perspective!

That said, it is helpful to know that guests don’t see reviews until after they’ve submitted their rating (that’s the piece of information I was missing). I thought they get notified that we reviewed them, they get to see it, and THEN they write theirs. Knowing they are both done blindly helps.

Thanks, and I’m sorry if that awful stuff has happened to you!

what do your check out instructions say regarding how the house should be left in regards to the kitchen @Jim-and-Darci0 ?

@Jim-and-Darci0 Yes, I had that experience, with one guest early on in my hosting journey. It has not happened since, as I learned a lot through that one guest. So now, though my guests are overwhelmingly lovely, they will still do little things that can irritate. I just think of my nightmare guest and move on.

Another thing to note is that the 'stars' are rather useless. Only hosts who use intant book can even see them, and they don't really explain much. Whatever you really feel other hosts need to be made aware of, be sure to mention it in the written review. 

We don’t mention it. I suppose if it’s important to me, I should be more specific in our Welcome Book. I’ll have to think those things through more.

At this point, I don’t know what I don’t know!

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

I am obviously not that experienced,  but I ask guests to empty fridge, take out trash and start the dishwasher on departure.  If they forget but leave everything else ok, I just take care of it.  If the food has not been opened I just take it home, someone in my family may eat it, if not I just toss.  I really don't stress too much, Im just happy to see that our condo is left in good condition.  Your place is beautiful by the way!

Thanks @Michelle1851 !

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jim-and-Darci0 ugh!! what if they'd put the chicken and milk in the bin and then it was a couple days until cleaners got there??? yuckyuckyuck

I hate wasting food, so as a guest I'd probably err on the side of 'the cleaners might rather cook this than throw it in garbage'. Now, if your place had very specific instructions that they ignored, then that's another thing.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jim-and-Darci0  A lot of people are quite averse to wasting food and would consider throwing edible food in the garbage to be a terrible thing to do. I'm a bit like that myself. Unless guests just leave the whole place a mess, they likely are of that mind and hoped you would be able to use it. I'd certainly cook up a whole raw chicken guests left behind unless it was past the expiry date.

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Jim-and-Darci0    We sometimes get stuff left behind and whether we use it or not depends on the type of guest.  We will never use any opened bottles but will sure wash and use any unopened cans. One guest actually left behind a full can of Vanish spray and in this business we can surely use that.  When guests leave stuff in the fridge,  we throw it away and just clean the fridge. It's no big deal.  Good luck with your new venture,  Darci !

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I would put something in your rules or guide if you don't want things left in the fridge. Some guests really think they are doing you a favor by leaving behind their food for others. Unless its unopened most don't understand it goes right in the trash. I think people don't want to be the ones to waste it, so they leave it hoping someone else can use it. 

My 4 star guests are those who asked a lot of questions and didn't bother to read they various and sundry lists, guides and emails we provide/ did not answer communication during the stay but did so before and after (communication) or those who left the place with crumbs on the counter and floor but not a major mess/required extra cleaning of a stove or area but nothing was truly egregious (cleaning). It goes down from there. If  you were nasty in any way to me or my husband  or extremely nitpicky and annoying you get a 3 or below, circumstance depending. If you left a big mess, damaged something and didn't tell us, didn't clean up after your dog, etc its 3 or below.

House rules is either 5 or below a 3. You followed them or you didn't. Some rules are more serious like having a bunch of unregistered people stay, burning things you shouldn't in our fireplace or fire pit, etc. The vast majority of guests follow the house rules just fine. I suppose there could be a 4 for some misunderstanding about a house rule that wasn't followed but I see that category as pretty black and white.