Rating location--what are your criteria?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Rating location--what are your criteria?

We had two guests in the last month give us 4s in location. In almost 100 stays now, this has been our fourth "4" in this category. I am always puzzled by this. Can't a guest tell fairly well what sort of location they are booking? If is not described well, wouldn't this be the Accuracy rating that suffers?

Truthfully I think 4 is fair for our location. Its cute, but its not really near anything. I describe distances in the listing and to guests when they ask. Secluded to an extent, but you can see neighbors especially when the leaves are dead on the trees; our low location ratings always happen in fall and winter. Summertime with all the plants in bloom and fireflies in the evening is pretty magical and scores are higher. Our cottage is not a glass-bottomed seafront hotel in Bali or a castle overlooking the Danube or even a treehouse in the deep Maine woods, all of which I could see being 5 in location.

This year I am adding a page to our house guide defining the Airbnb rating system as I am tired of misunderstanding. So how would you define location? What are you rating your location on as a guest? As a host, what do you think people should look for?

21 Replies 21
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

And I have no idea why its saying I live in Jasper, AR. Must be a glitch. I am in Maryland! I have changed it twice now. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

A guest's perspective of location is really puzzling. 

In season, almost all of my guests are staying with me to travel almost 1.5 hours to the National Park on the coast. 100% of these guests have given me 5 stars for location (hundreds and hundreds of them.) I look at other listings in my area (even closer to the park) who get downrated on location with review remarks like "still quite a drive to the coast" or "be prepared to drive over an hour." So why am I getting 5 stars on location while other (closer) listings get dinged? I chalk it up to the fact that I am "in town." Whether the guest takes advantage of it or not they have the option to walk to dinner or walk to a brewery for a drink and they see all that when driving in. That to me (and perhaps them) signals a "great location."

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Emilia42  I've noticed the same here. I'm 5-6 miles from the National Park boundary and generally get 5* for location, but I've seen Airbnbs in  reasonably attractive hamlets (nicer & cuter than mine) 1 mile or less from the National Park get lower ratings. Same with the nicest beach. 

I figure folk KNOW I'm 5-6 miles away so have nothing to complain about. Whereas when then book a place 100 meters - 1 mile outside, perhaps their expectations are greater, so there is more scope for disappointment? - Close, but not close enough?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 I just don’t think this matters. Guests are searching within a certain radius & if they like your photos, amenities & price then they’re going to book. A few 4s in this (or any) category isn’t going to dissuade them. 

@Kelly149 I'm not worried about losing bookings, just puzzled by what this rating means to people.  TBH i don't even know what it means to me? Convenient? Well no, not if I want rural.  Pretty? Sure ok, but there's only so much one can do to make that happen if a place isn't naturally beautiful and thats very subjective.  Well cared for? Maybe. Unique? Ok but I don't know if everyone looks for that.  

@Laura2592 Right, but if you’re looking for meaning from abb review system you might as well throw spaghetti at the wall and “read” the noodles

with guests as kooky as yours it could really mean anything

@Kelly149  I wonder if I can start giving an award for the kookiest guest! That might not be well-received. 

My guest that left the door open and the cat got out gave us a 4 on location. That's probably because the cat got out...

One gave us a 4 a while ago because they stayed at another place that was "in the middle of a farm field" and this one was "different."

The other 2? No clue. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592  This has been driving hosts crazy for quite a while: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=f...

I get the occasional 4 for location, too.  Almost every time it's from someone who thought Acadia was too far away - the same national park that's an hour and a half from @Emilia42's place.

Here's the thing:  the guests who give 4 for that reason are the ones who never once mentioned they wanted to go to Acadia.  The guests who write "looking forward to hiking in Acadia" never give a 4 for location.

Emilia mentions the distance to Acadia in her welcome message (https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/What-do-you-include-in-a-welcome-message/m-p/1367053#M32...), and I mention it in my IB pre-booking message.  No 4s since I started doing that.

I think there are two factors at work:  1) Airbnb's search algo shows my places when people search for Acadia, even though there are plenty of places down on Mt. Desert, and 2) some people can't read maps.

The people who can read maps will actually say in the review that they chose my place because it was away from the crowds at Acadia and they found the drive pleasant.

@Ann72 I also find that when mentioning the location as a positive (rather than making it sound like a drag) guests absorb that way of thinking. 

"Acadia is an hour and 15 minutes away and is an easy drive. It works well as a day trip for Saturday and on Sunday you can wake up, enjoy a cup of coffee from XX nearby, and then be an hour closer to home"

vs.

"Acadia is over an hour away so you'll want to leave early in the morning."

@Emilia42  Good move!  I mention it more as a neutral fact - It's an hour away, consider the amount of driving you'll be doing if you go every day, there are many beautiful hikes on the Blue Hill Peninsula, all listed in the Guidebook, etc.  I mean I want them to go, it's 100% worth the drive, but I always hope they don't plan to spend every day there because they'd miss so much that's amazing on the Peninsula.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

Sometimes I can understand why the guest puts 4* per location. According to Airbnb rules, the exact address is NOT shown before booking confirmation. Ok, the guest makes a reservation, and voila gets the contact of the host and the exact address. Suppose it is not exactly what the guest expects, and the cancellation rules do not allow cancelling this reservation without a penalty. For me this is a good reason not to estimate the location perfectly, and again, of course, it is due to the policy of Airbnb.
But, for example, for booking com the absolutely opposite option! The exact address is always specified (this is the condition for placing a list), there is an active link to any maps, and at least a picture of a photo from a satellite guest can see a particular house on a particular street. And they also sometimes put a low rating for location. Here is how you can see a specific address, select it, and then assess that it is not the right address? This is beyond my understanding, but these are the facts.😆

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I just found Airbnb's definition of location: "how does the guest feel about the neighborhood?" LOTS of problems with that.....we do have a few people at the end of the street who could be described as "not doing well." And gasp, there are some folks who aren't white who live nearby.  There are Trump and Biden signs as you drive in. Im surprised we even get 4s if this is the definition that guests see....

I have never given a Location rating that wasn't 5 stars, because it's my job to choose the suitable location before booking it. 

Here's a quote from last year's Review Policy update:

"if a guest leaves a low rating for something like location or value—two categories we know can be interpreted differently by guests—a clarifying question will appear.

• For location, we’ll ask if the location was accurately described in the listing"

This does not apply for 4 star ratings, because 4 stars is considered both a good rating and a terrible one, depending on who's receiving the manipulation.  And even so, I'm calling the bluff: there is already an Accuracy rating covering how everything is described in the listing, and no requirement that the neighborhood be described at all. 

I will not waver on the conviction that the Location rating needs to be thrown in the garbage. Airbnb holds firm that it's "useful information" for guests - but nobody has an answer for what's useful about it. Qualities as subjective as location can't possibly map onto a quantitative ranking system.

All that said:  I've left a lot of 5 star ratings down the board for acceptable but totally mediocre stays, largely because I disagree with the system altogether. But if I ever had a host that was condescending enough to try to "educate" me about the rating system - with the obvious subtext that 5 stars was the only acceptable score - I would sharpen the knife and rate mercilessly. Very few listings viewed through this lens would merit 5 stars. So @Laura2592  I expect your plan will backfire.

@Anonymous  sigh. I agree. I just need to put something in my house guide and not sure what yet. We have had a lot of really wacky guests this year.