Ratings Display Change

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Ratings Display Change

As many have noted, the overall rating is shown in the search results as a percentage. This started a few weeks ago. But today, a new interface has appeared. Your percentages for all sub-categories are now at the top of the reviews in addition to the overall percent. To start with, this is some really ugly css. I mean the stars weren't beautiful, but they at least had a bit of life.

Looking forward to hearing what folks think of this change.

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 4.27.31 PM.png

49 Replies 49
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Susan151 

I still see the stars.

I hope Airbnb will not be discriminatory and will show the same at our guest's profiles 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Here is a screen shot of one of your listings as seen in Safari on a MacBook.

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 5.36.44 PM.png

Only 4,9 for value???? Uuuuu I have to raise my prices! 😄 😄 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0 wrote:

I hope Airbnb will not be discriminatory and will show the same at our guest's profiles 🙂

Such a lovely sense of humor!!!   🙂

I totally agree!  It is almost impossible to find guests stars when they are booking.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Ick.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Oh FFS. Gets more and more like the Black Mirror 'Nosedive' episode every day.. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

And now brought to you by the " More Terrible Ideas That Were Implemented Without Host Input or Notification" crew..........

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

I dunno - I can't bring myself to dislike it. It seems to me that it is more helpful for guests than all subcategories showing as 5 stars, but with a lower overall score like (randomly) 4.93. As hosts, we're far more familiar with the system, so we realize that the "big" review number reflects the overall category, but guests don't, so many have likely wondered why, if everything below shows as 5 star, the "big" number is lower.

I suppose this approach could also help the many hosts who get 5 stars in all subcategories, but only a 4 star for overall. As a guest, if I saw a rating at (say) 4.80, but all the subcategories were 4.9s or 5s, I'd feel better about booking the listing.

@Susan151, at least your browser shows the "sliders" clearly. Mine (Firefox) seems to have issues with this layout and shows the "sliders" overlapping the numbers, so I can't make out if I'm looking at a 4.6 or a 4.0 on some of my competitor's listings ('cause I'm snoopy like that).

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

In the Airbnb experiences, they use like this ( stars with number ) Both in App and web so may be it will apple to home that in the App still not show. It reminds me when I use hostel OTA and select 79 to see a list that have above that score.... it may happen !

Alexandre205
Level 9
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

For once, I see this change as positive and in favour of hosts.

We had lost our full 5th star (to 4 and a half) in Value (in the old graphic mode), which was unfair because our real average was still over 4.8. We never understood why, actually. It inexplicably changed when our average dropped below 4.81x !?!? Airbnb told us that anything between 4.8 and 4.9 resulted in 4 and a half stars, which is factually wrong.

Now it shows as 4.8, which is fair and more accurate. There is a big gap between 4.5 and 4.8 in the perception of guests.

We have an overall rating of 4.94, which I prefer compared to 5 graphic stars.

Overall ratings nearing 5.00 show outstanding consistency to smart guests...

I agree! And I also like how it has started to show what the guests appreciate in our house below the review. It gives more context!airbnb.png

Wow, that's some weird mathematics! In this case, then, I'd have to say that you're right: the new system might actually be better (or at least more accurate). It may not be pretty to look at, but if it gives potential guests an honest assessment of our performance, then I'm all for it!

Sally44
Level 3
Brisbane, Australia

I'm super annoyed to be honest.  I think people are already confused about how the stars work and now this just gives a figures instead.  I think it is only a matter of time before they change it again (boy do they LOVE a good change without any consultation) but I think it will only lead to more stress over star ratings.