Ratings from Guests

Charles-and-Bella0
Level 2
United Kingdom

Ratings from Guests

I received a 1 star rating from a guest in August 2015 (14 months ago) for Overall Experience, Cleanliness, Accuracy, Value and Arrival I know which ratings received 1 star as I can still see them and it is the only 1 star I received.

The reason we received the low rating was a disappointed guest who stayed at our place while a carnival was going on (the largest in Europe) outside!  We should have told them when they booked, but we were new to hosting at the time.  

My question is how long do we have to carry on with this stain on our otherwise good record (4.5 overall), which appears to be holding us back from achieving superhost status?  There are references to rating only being relevant for a year, but the one star is still showing up in the Rating from Guests detail page.  Thankfully the review is now buried after pages of reviews from satisfied guests. 

Thanks for any info.

3 Replies 3
Giovanni103
Level 3
New York, NY

The review will always be there, but the Superhost status is calculated with the reviews from the last 12-month period, so if it happened more than a year ago, it shouldn't still be affecting your elegibility to Superhost status.

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

superhost status is based on an 80% or more 5 star ratings. So if you have 8 Five star ratings and 2 one star ratings you still would qualify. Let it go. I had one malicious jerk rate me poorly because I told him he couldnt checkout late as there would be guests arriving in 3 hours. Stuff happens, sometimes the guests are right and sometimes they're just jerks. In either case as long as you are above 80% with the other qualifications you should be good. I think I'm also about to be a superhost, however experienced hosts have stated repeatedly that the staus made no diffrence in bookings. So I wouldnt worry about it much in any case. Superhost is just airbnb treating hosts like children and handing out gold stars for good work.

I had my superhost rating removed when a guests gave me a 3 star.  This was so unfair as both commented they absolutely loved everything about the place when they arrived.  That tell me right there that all was perfect at the beginning.  So what went wrong?  The place was spotless.  I was there to meet and greet.  Location was never a problem as we are walking distance to absolutely every part of our town.  Quiet neighbourhood and sitting on the edge of a forested river bank.  Some guests dont understand the rating system and how important it to hosts.  When there are dozens of choices in your community of only 10,000 people, ratings DO count.  Im 27 years in this business and have knocked my self silly trying to please everyone with the highest standards possible.  I take hosting to be extremely serious business and the board of health comes to inspect  frequently.  To wait for new guests to up the ratings for us isnt that easy as we offer long term accommodations for the most part.  That means our guests on average stay up to two or three months at a time.  It is hard to swallow a guests rating after three days and then wait it out if the next guests stays months at a time.

We actually had to kick out one of the recent guests as they did not live up to our standards and they were not considered to be clean, responsible or respectful.  There is no easy way to gain high ratings from that experience.  Ratings going bad can be dangerous to a hosts reputation.