Realized item was stolen, not sure which guests!

Answered!
Laura6
Level 1
Chicago, Illinois, United States

Realized item was stolen, not sure which guests!

I just noticed my brand new headphones are missing from where I had tucked them away.  I bought them about 2 months ago and put them in a drawer in my office.  This room stays open and unlocked when guests come visit, but it is not a shared space.  I just noticed that the headphones are not there!!  We haven't had a guest in 19 days and before that we had several back to back.  I'm not sure who took them, but I unfortunately know they have been stolen.

I'm not sure what to do!  I would not want to go pointing fingers at my guests and I don't want to file a police report over $60 headphones, but it feels awful to just... move on?  

What would you do?  Has this happened to you?  I'm very upset!

1 Best Answer

@Rachel477 regarding handing over keys (and making copies): a lot of hosts are concerned about that very problem. That's why so many use some kind of smart lock that gives guests a personal code, which is then deactivated automatically when their booking is done.

As to the problem of AirBnB not supporting the hosts when they make claims of damages or rule-breaking:

The problem often comes down to evidence (or lack thereof).

How do you prove that a specific guest stole some property? Absent a confession by the guest, you really need to:

1. Have photographic evidence that the item was present before the guest arrived.
  2. Have photographic evidence that the item was missing after the guest left.
  3. (This is the hardest one) Be able to prove convincingly that no other person had access to the property during the time after photo 1 and before photo 2.

This is why a host needs to make a claim before any other guest checks in.

Also, a photo of the item from several bookings ago would not do: any guest before the most recent guest could have taken the item.

What if a cleaning person entered the property before the host discovered the item missing?

It is a rare host that takes photos of every important item in their property before and after every single guest. This is why there is often a lack of evidence to support an allegation of theft. And then at that point, it becomes a game of "he said, she said."

Remember, the customer service person on the phone does not know either the host or the guest or the property or the item. All the customer service person knows is what people are saying... and not even in person (where there might be some hope of determining who is lying).

As to why AirBnB doesn't "freeze" guest accounts while a claim is pending: if you were a traveler on a vacation, would you like your AirBnB account to be potentially held hostage by any host who ever hosted you? All the host would have to do is make a completely baseless allegation, and you could no longer travel.

These claims take time to resolve, and if there is not clearly convincing evidence to prove an allegation, AirBnB is sensibly reluctant to apply sanctions.

That's why hosts usually just remove anything of significant value from the property. If the only things left in the listing are consumables that are readily replaced, there is much less stress.

Regarding explaining their policies: Their help pages on making claims do explain what to do in some detail.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/361/how-do-i-submit-a-host-guarantee-payment-request

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-...

Hosting can be a neve-wracking experience. I hope your guests are treating you well, and continue to treat you well!

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25

@Rachel477 regarding handing over keys (and making copies): a lot of hosts are concerned about that very problem. That's why so many use some kind of smart lock that gives guests a personal code, which is then deactivated automatically when their booking is done.

As to the problem of AirBnB not supporting the hosts when they make claims of damages or rule-breaking:

The problem often comes down to evidence (or lack thereof).

How do you prove that a specific guest stole some property? Absent a confession by the guest, you really need to:

1. Have photographic evidence that the item was present before the guest arrived.
  2. Have photographic evidence that the item was missing after the guest left.
  3. (This is the hardest one) Be able to prove convincingly that no other person had access to the property during the time after photo 1 and before photo 2.

This is why a host needs to make a claim before any other guest checks in.

Also, a photo of the item from several bookings ago would not do: any guest before the most recent guest could have taken the item.

What if a cleaning person entered the property before the host discovered the item missing?

It is a rare host that takes photos of every important item in their property before and after every single guest. This is why there is often a lack of evidence to support an allegation of theft. And then at that point, it becomes a game of "he said, she said."

Remember, the customer service person on the phone does not know either the host or the guest or the property or the item. All the customer service person knows is what people are saying... and not even in person (where there might be some hope of determining who is lying).

As to why AirBnB doesn't "freeze" guest accounts while a claim is pending: if you were a traveler on a vacation, would you like your AirBnB account to be potentially held hostage by any host who ever hosted you? All the host would have to do is make a completely baseless allegation, and you could no longer travel.

These claims take time to resolve, and if there is not clearly convincing evidence to prove an allegation, AirBnB is sensibly reluctant to apply sanctions.

That's why hosts usually just remove anything of significant value from the property. If the only things left in the listing are consumables that are readily replaced, there is much less stress.

Regarding explaining their policies: Their help pages on making claims do explain what to do in some detail.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/361/how-do-i-submit-a-host-guarantee-payment-request

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-...

Hosting can be a neve-wracking experience. I hope your guests are treating you well, and continue to treat you well!

I have yet to house guests, but have been wondering the same.  I have been a foster parent, and a summer youth exchange parent, so I'm relaxed in that respect.  I intend to be at home or have a family member at home at all times when guests are present though.  I have also provided strict house-locked rules.  I will not give a key, so they need to return and exit whilst someone is up or the house will be locked unless they make specific arrangments.  If they're paying a large sum deposit, you should feel confident about their honesty.  I recommend storing extremely valuable items if it's your live-in home.  I own furnished rentals, so I've basically just written off all decor and furniture and keep it simple.  

I wanted to offer an update for those who are reading - I have installed a combo deadbolt lock for the front door eliminating the need for keys.  Also, I have purchased an OCO camera for the office which feeds in realtime and backs up in the cloud.  Offering my guests easy access to the home and providing security for important information I have in my office has eased my piece of mind.  I have been hosting seven months now with several guests.  I am so relieved that they have all respected my privacy and taken great care of my home.  

Rachel477
Level 3
Cottage Grove, OR

Thank you Matthew, your reply was very thorough.  I have taken a photo inventory of my items.  And, last night I ordered a combo dead bolt lock for my home.  I also purchased a security camera for my office which I lock when guests are visiting.  I think if they break into the office and the camera records it, that will be enough for a report to Airbnb.  I will remove valuables. I have another business in which information and keys are stored in my office, not everything can be taken with me.  So far, the guests have been wonderful and have treated my home with care. They have also respected my requests.  I am talking with other people who are curious on how Airbnb works.  A good result will mean that more people would be willing to try hosting.  Thank you for the advice.

Rachel

Mt. David Home in Cottage Grove, OR

Kaja10
Level 2
Simpsonville, SC

Hi. Am thinking of putting my Ocean-front condo on Airbnb. Reading about theft scares me because this is my home and I have all kinds of stuff here!! Should I buy a locker & lock up all valuables? Is there any risk to damage to walls, appliances, beds, furniture? And lastly, if I personally come to clean between renters, wouldn’t that take care of my knowing who did the damage or was the thief? 

@Kaja10 if it is convenient, many hosts like to just remove all items that cannot be easily replaced. That way you don't have to continually worry about damage to something irreplacable / personal. It becomes a little more complicated if you plan on living in the condo often. Will the property mainly be for Airbnb use, or will you also be living in it a lot?

As to wall, appliances, furniture: you would expect anything *can* be damaged, but mostly it will be wear and tear. The stories about guests who willfully destroy things during a raging party are somewhat rare. The chance of having a willfully damaging guest can also be reduced by doing a good job of screening out suspicious people. (Locals booking one night stays is a common red flag.)

Yes, if you personally check the property *before* the cleaners arrive each time, you would know who the likely thief/culprit is. But you still have to prove it to Airbnb to make a successful claim.

Thanks a lot. The condo is big enough to buy a locker to put things in that aren’t convenient enough to always take with me. 

Another question: Do I determine the cleaning fee, security deposit (if any) and what type of door lock is recommended ? A standard dead bolt with a combination lock? 

Maritza30
Level 2
Stafford Township, NJ

Let it go. There's nothing you can do about it now,  weeks later.  Just write it off on your taxes as a loss when you file your taxes which include your income from hosting.

Steve801
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

This is complex but I would appreciate advice about a theft of some valuable items.

I have used several airbnb facilities over the years. My ex-partner also makes her house available to guests through airbnb.

I left some belongings in a locked room in her house at her request when we were together, and my current problems concern those as she says they have since been stolen while guests were there.

After we broke up, she had three workers stay long-term (paid by their employer). They were later joined by a fourth worker who was given the use of that previously locked room, which had been a bedroom before, anyway. 

My ex will not approach airbnb or the company that contracted for the guests regarding the theft (she says she also had bed linen and some other items taken). She will not lodge a report with the police or claim on her houshold insurance.

I am in a  quandary. Should I just put this down to experience and move on? It seems that, at the least, there should be a reflection of the theft somehow in the rating for these guests given there was a duty of care.

Elisabeth447
Level 2
Whitefish, MT

This happened to us also. My boyfriend’s brand new expensive leather hat was on our hall tree/rack and when we noticed it was missing it was after we’d had 3 back to back guests. We’re also missing a favorite kitchen grater which is ALWAYS in the same place and went missing at the same time. 

Katherine227
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

1BBFEE57-D848-4CF2-838F-1B7996D44FC4.jpegInteresting to read all the comments here. I just noticed that my (new) gone and like the others, I’m not sure which of my past two guests has removed it. I have reached out with a non-confrontational question to each as suggested in this forum. One of my guests has already replied to say that he and his partner do not remember seeing the rug, and I am waiting on the others to reply. So am i correct in understanding that AirBnb’s insurance wont cover these kinds of losses? It has to be tied to a single guest, is the issue? @Deborah0