Reasonable Refund

Lindsey260
Level 2
Austin, TX

Reasonable Refund

Hi community. We are hosting a family at our lake house for 10 nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. On Tuesday at 820p they informed us the AC went out the night before. We scrambled for a service request and unbelievably got someone to come out Wed. The tech was there from 7p-10p Wed night and was unable to fix due to electrical wiring and asked we call an electrician before they do their repair. As you guess it’s now the holiday and an electrician can’t come before Monday. They check out Sunday. The weather has been high one day of 73 and low of 55. We offered an early check out and they said they would stay and ensure. What’s a reasonable refund in this situation? 5/10 nights it’s been down. 

10 Replies 10
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Lindsey260 I'm not sure why an AC is needed for those temperatures, but then again, I don't live in Texas. Does the guest expect a refund? Are they clearly distraught by the lack of AC? Is it ruining their stay? If no, I would give them a nice gesture like a gift certificate to a good take-out place in your area or a bottle of wine, etc. If yes, I may refund 10% of their total stay. 

It is best for you to offer something first before they put through some ridiculous % refund claim after their stay. 

@Lindsey260 As a side note, you may consider putting a clause in your house rules about when guests can expect AC/heat throughout the year. Since AC isn't really a necessity where I live, I remove the option during cooler months. I don't ever intend to let a guest melt during an unexpected heatwave, but I won't entertain the idea of guests expecting to run an AC on a low 60-degree day. That's what windows are for.

@Emilia42 The 73 day I'm sure got a little warm for them. But that was also the high of all the days it was out. They haven't asked for anything (yet). But I'm with you on waiting until after they leave and then they put it though ABNB and it's unreasonable for this situation (late notification, holiday, cooler temps) I don't want to discount how they are feeling as I know this was an expensive booking. But I also don't want to risk bad reviews and upset guests! Thanks so much for your reply!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Lindsey260  73F as far as I would understand temperatures would not even need an air conditioner unless maybe a second or third floor would get hot during the day?  Especially if the temp is going down to 55 at night the house would cool itself off.  So, this seems like in all probability the attempted repair was more inconvenience than the actual lack of AC.  But, since it was a listed amenity that wasn't available, I don't know, maybe $100 max if that.

@Mark116 Thanks so much for the reply. We too think AC (heat) isn't needed right now. They have honestly been great guests and even went out of their way to call us when an unexpected dog showed up with their daughter (to our not pet friendly home).  I told them the dog was fine and charged them an additional fee, which they paid. I think many people would of not told us. I don't want to get a bad review or upset them by offering a crappy refund, so trying to see it both ways. Thank you so much for your reply! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lindsey260 AC has been completely unnecessary this week... Why in the world did they wait until after the close of business hours to let you know that there was a problem?!?!? If they'd told you Monday night or Tuesday morning, you might have more options for fixing.

On the one hand, it's out; on the other hand, it's been unnecessary... You offered that they could leave and they elected to stay. So, perhaps ask them if they feel they need some compensation for the worry? Maybe they'd be content to receive some consideration on a future stay? Or maybe they're reasonable people who realize that things happen with houses and they aren't at a hotel? Unfortunately, people are variable and ABB CS are unreliable, so really this could go any number of ways.

@Kelly149 We thought the same thing as everyone knows Thursday is TG and that late of a notification a day later wasn't helpful in us finding a resolution. I too thought about offering a free future stay as they have family in the area and believe they would come back. I think making an offer of resolution now vs later is better. CS could go a number of ways...so I think you're right. Thanks for the reply! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I agree that AC is superfluous in these temps.

One approach to this kind of thing is to offer a discounted or free night on a future stay, maybe in addition to a small token gift delivered during the stay as "thanks for understanding." They may never use it, but the prospect may inhibit any impulse to down-rate on review.

@Lisa723 It seems like a free future night(s) is something that would be helpful. I too thought of this, and like the idea. Thank you for your reply! 

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

@Lindsey260 

I would just send the equivalent of 1/2 day stay as a "sorry for the inconvenience" offering.