Receiving bookings for blocked dates

Receiving bookings for blocked dates

I received a booking request today for a date that is blocked on my calendar. Not only that, but the request came through showing half the per-night price for my listing!

(While I did offer this reduced price to a guest who has been staying long-term, the full price still shows up when I view the pricing in my listing.)

SO.... 

1. What would cause me to get requests for blocked dates?

2. What's going on with Airbnb offering my rooms for half price?

3. Does anyone from Airbnb monitor these boards?? 

15 Replies 15
Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Heidi-and-Eric0

1. You have to check your calendar settings as the rolling calendar will open dates 3/6 months into the future. 

That said, there seem to be a glitch in the calendar system where blocked dates randomly open up for booking with warning.

2. Check your base price (not the individual dates but your base). Airbnb wouldn't change your price. 

3. This is a host forum, Airbnb doesn't monitor it. 

1. This was a blocked date just a week or so in advance, so no, it's not that Airbnb opened up dates 3 - 6 months from now... This was a legit blocked date (still blocked even while I was looking at the booking), so it does reflect a definite glitch. I'm a farily new host... Apparently Airbnb just doesn't care about these kinds of problems?

2. I checked my price; it's still the same, low $30/night. This booking came through at $15, so Airbnb did change the price. I agree -- it is not logical, but it happened. 

3. Is there any 'easy' way to contact Airbnb at all?? They clearly don't care about any of the issues... So frustrating!

Barbara545
Level 1
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom

I have reeived bookings for dates that are blocked too despite having both the sites I use having been synchronised 2 hours earlier. Now I have lost a booking and Airbnb have blocked the dates that are free!

What can you do?

Barbara

To avoid black marks from Abnb, I accept the guest but write them that the place is not available due to Abnb's snafu.

@Amy38 How can you accept the guests and tell them at the same time that the place isn't available???

@Monika64.  The guest inquires, you message/write them that there is a problem, so sorry, wait a while....you have 24 hours to accept or decline, by the time you accept them, they have moved on.

@Amy38 Sorry, I thought you have answered @Barbara545 messages who already got the booking (I'm guessing she has IB), not just a request. 

In a case of an inquiry of course you can decline. It's different when it's already a booking for a date that you thought was already blocked. 

@Barbara545 Unfortunatelly not much. You can contact Airbnb to see if they'd unblock your date (it might happen if this is your first time but don't expect that if you had multiple cancelation already).

There had been many issues here posted on the CC with calendar syncing before so I'd not rely on it solely, you really have to be on top of your bookings from other sites and coordinate them with your Airbnb dates.

JB6
Level 4
Johnson City, TX

We recently had the same issue.  Planned to travel out of town on a Monday, so we blocked off that Monday.  AirBnB still accepted a 3-day reservation where the guest checks out on Monday.  By which time we'll be half way to the airport.  Then we have someone coming in right after we come back.  So we'll have about 3 hours to change over right after our vacation.  Hate to lose booking days, but now we'll start blocking off two days before we leave.  This is the second time we had an issue with AirBnB's reservation system.   We have requested at least 24 hours between booking and checking in, but AirBnB allowed a guest to reserve at noon for a 3pm check-in.  Guess we have to learn the game and when/how to block out dates.

That's the thing, though... ok yes, we all need to learn the right way to block off dates, but it shouldn't be a game. When this happened to us, it was a reservation covering multiple blocked dates... the system should work correctly, too!

Jennifer124
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi!

My problem is similar. I have blocked my dates for 2 months at a time due to my current health issues. I keep getting requests which I politely decline via SMS. One came in at 10.25 for that night though I have specified 24 hrs notice. Dealing with these frequent unwanted requests is stressful in my condition and I want them to stop. How do I do this?

The worst part is that I am being penalised for not replying when I have, inspite of first receiving a message that if I do nothing the dates will remain blocked. Why is this?

Is there a way I can suspend my listing entirely for the foreseeable future that will let me reinstate it with one click when I am well enough? I hope so otherwise I will just have to leave Airbnb which I really dont want to do.

Kate640
Level 3
Ardersier, United Kingdom

I’ve just had to cancel an instant booking for a date I had blocked and now I’ve lost my super host status!! This is very unfair. What’s the best way to get in touch with Airbnb?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Kate640 Give them a ring, explain whats happened and it should be ok.

click the link for contact info :

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/413245#M5...

Kate640
Level 3
Ardersier, United Kingdom

Thanks Jeff, will do