Reclusive guests.. anything we should do or check on??

Reclusive guests.. anything we should do or check on??

We have a couple that checked in on Thurs. this is Sat. afternoon check out is this Tuesday. They had two reviews that were both great.. and (hoping I do not speak too soon) not worried about the room itself.  She said she was coming for some work and to relax... along with her boyfriend.. that due to family issues he will not be here much. I let her know he would need to be here at time of check in so we can meet all guests. No problem. When they arrived I showed them around and she said, we tend to keep to ourselves... 

Since Thurs. they have left the house once... they only have showered and gone back to the room... today they have not even come down stairs... we have breakfast and coffee available each day.. nothing...

On a funny note our imaginations are going wild. We do think it is a fling or other 'sexual thing".. but according to the other reviews,we know they clean things before they go  Which I now realize were both for separate units not in the home as with us... 

So... do we ignore them... check on them or ?? 

They were not upfront during the contact before arrival.. and now.. just wierd. 

Suggestions or No? 

16 Replies 16
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Kendall-and-Derek0 ,

It's their life and i would not bother that much about it.

I allways sent a message to guests after 1 or two days to ask if everything is OK.

So you could do that also.

best regards, Emiel

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

They told you they keep to themselves and so they do. I would not pester them. You could send a brief message such as "We hope you are enjoying your stay. Please let us know right away if you need anything or anything about the space needs our attention."

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

They sound like the perfect, low-maintenance type of guest. I love this type. How were they not upfront?

@Fred13 They are not leaving the room at all... with windows closed and curtains drawn (2 1/2 days... We have had guests that stay to themselves.. this is different... 

The room has a bed.. that's it.. not even coming out for food or water. Between when I first wrote and now, the girl came down got a glass of tea then went back up.. didn't make eye contact or say hi.. I said hi and she gestured. 

Odd, of course, but totally harmless.

Now we're curious!  Keep us posted.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

They either have food in the room, they're breatharians who don't need to eat, they're fasting, or they're having such intense sexual adventures that they're oblivious to hunger.

@Sarah977 @Jennifer311 @Fred13

Update, they went out on Sunday. for 1/2 hour.. then back to the room... We are voting on a sexual liasion.. As they had two huge heavy suitcases and have only seen them in the same outfits the two times we have seen them.. The guy, not the main registered guest... made calls on the balcony when the girl was in the shower. We are guessing he is married and they are keeping a low profile. This morning, I can hear her moving things around ?? and his car is gone.. so we shall see. He is actually able to make eye contact, she doesn't even awknowledge you if you say hello... 

ODD.. better suited for a free standing reservation vs in a home... If they do a review I will do one only based on how the room is once they leave. 🙂

How intriguing; hosting be no fun without the odd guests. 😄

Final update... he left sometime in the middle of the night... and she was downstairs with her suitcase as pleasant as can be on the date of check out... They (as other hosts have reported) left the room in great shape... 

With airbnb moving toward a more hotel feel.. not the co op view we have had... we are looking at letting guests know we are in our home and common areas alot... 

We have three more reservations to honor before we are snoozed for a bit... paint the outside of the house and do some things to the inside. We will look at letting go of superhost.. one bad or 4 star review and that can be it.. not worth the stress. Wierd to say I am going to settle for the B. 🙂 

Anyway, thank you all for your help and support. 

@Fred13 @Sarah977 @Jennifer311

Christina0
Level 5
Nevada, United States

We have a tiny cottage on our property. It's very private, but we can see it from certain areas in the garden. We've had guests like this before. They squirrel themselves away for days with the curtains drawn and don't leave. This is not too weird, but we live in an area with tons of outdoor activities like hiking, walking, swimming, mountain views, etc. You would think they would want to take advantage of it rather than staying in a tiny studio for days. Odd...

When we Airbnb in another city, we are constantly out and about.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I don't see that it's necessarily weird for guests to squirrel themselves away with the curtains drawn and rarely or never emerge until check-out, altho it does feel somewhat uncomfortable to have that situation in own's own home. While there may be plenty of cool things to do in the area, we don't really know why someone is spending time away from their home. Maybe there's plenty of hiking trails where they live, too and they go out for walks and other recreation every weekend. But they may have stressful jobs, super busy lives, always exhausted - getting away, maybe spending the whole 3 days sleeping late, having lots of sex, relaxing with a movie, and eating the food they brought, or ordering take-out, may be just exactly what they need to recharge and feel they had a wonderful time.

Wendy425
Level 2
Marlborough, New Zealand

The last Airbnb I rented complained because we left at 6 am to see the hot air ballon festival launch and we were in a seperate unit. It takes all sorts which makes us interesting.

Lesley173
Level 2
Arboleas, Spain

I've just had two sets of 'reclusive guests'.......  the first were ok, in that the apartment was relaatively tidy when they left ....  they were young students, so we presumed they were 'chilling' totally........  the ones who have just left did the same, but this morning they disappeared without saying anything, then sent a message to say one had been ill and they were seeking medical advice.....  when I got into the apartment I was amazed to find it in a terrible state.  Someone had been violently sick all over the place, there were cigarette & cigar butts in glasses & on china, (this is clearly stated to be a non-smoking apartment!).....  empty bottles & packets everywhere.  In future, I'm afraid, I will be checking on 'reclusive guests'....... I don't mind them keeping to themselves, but I do object to them disappearing & leaving the place needing a complete make over!