Red Cross Wants to Have my Listing

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Red Cross Wants to Have my Listing

I had a very surprising phone call yesterday. It was from a volunteer for red cross, sounded like an older lady. She said that she had heard about my listing and seen it from the road. She asked if it would be possible to meet her to discuss the use of the house by Red Cross in case of a family losing their home due to fire or flooding...or other disaster. I explained to her that my minimum stay was 2 days and the maximum 22 days. I also told her that one family asked to stay at my listing because the pipes froze and burst in their house and they needed to move out, and that I had to refuse accommodation because they could not give me fixed reservation dates. I explained that my listing was similar to a hotel, that I had to have reservations for specific dates and if a family wanted dates that were already reserved I would have to refuse them. She was annoyed and told me that she understands that I do not want to rent to families in distress and hung up! Wow.....

Has anyone else had such a request from Red Cross?

18 Replies 18
Helen267
Level 10
St. Andrews, United Kingdom

Do you know this works with my (UK) insurance policy? My holiday home insurance is clear that I am not covered should I rent to anyone without a permanent address - I believe this is because should they choose not to leave I could not then legally evict them.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen267,

Good question. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this, especially as all insurance policies are different. 

There is some more information on how it works in our Help Center, here, but if you are unable to find a specific answer on this, I would recommend contacting our Open Homes team at openhomes@airbnb.com. They will be able to help you further with this.

Good luck with it all and thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thank You for sharing this link. I tried signing up but it wont allow me to submit. Any suggestions?

Amos18
Level 7
Nairobi, Kenya

If it were the real red cross then consider yourself very lucky. I am sure an N.G.O like them could be renting your space with a way good cash.