Red Flag Questions

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Red Flag Questions

There are a lot of hosts who post about difficult situations here. I am always struck that there seem to have been indications in many cases that the guest may not have been a match, but the host missed or overlooked the red flag. I thought it might be helpful to list questions you get that make your "spidey sense" tingle.  Now not all of these mean you are about to have a bad experience, but perhaps this will help you weed out those who aren't the perfect fit for your space.

"How many people can stay here?" Red flag because that is listed in the reservation. They didn't read, or they are having a party. And if they didn't read, they didn't read your rules 🙂 Most hosts have pretty clear occupancy limits. Many guests like to stretch those.

"Do you allow pets?" Also, that is clearly listed. If you don't, you don't.

"Will you make an exception for my non-shedding very sweet and well trained dog?" Again, if you don't allow pets that is stated. The guilt trip questions about the sweetest, best behaved dog in the world don't bode well. 

"Will you make an exception for ...."(fill in the blank.) Normally if the interaction starts this way, there is a long list of exceptions you will be asked to make and you will be frustrated by the end of the stay. This type of guest is better served with a reservation that fits what they are actually looking for, rather than one which they want to modify to their ideal standards. 

"Do you offer discounts?" Bargain hunters are never a good sign. These guests will most often be those who try to get a free stay with a spurious complaint.

"Are you on-site?" Again, that is clearly stated in all listings (or should be. If its not in yours, make sure you are updating.) This is often code for "I would like to break rules and not get caught/maybe have a party."

"Can I have guests over during my stay? They aren't going to be there overnight." All hosts need to decide what level of access they want to give to strangers who are not paying to be at their property. Consider this one carefully. 

"Can you have (specialized item) available for me during my stay /can this be purchased?" If it's something basic that many people might want (like an iron) or you were planning on getting one anyway, maybe consider it. It does start the stay off a bit oddly as the guest can clearly see what your amenities are. But I once had a guest whose life was about to end if she didn't get a specific kind of garlic press. Those kinds of high maintenance "must haves" really cross the line between guest stay and "this is my house and it needs to be stocked with my favorites...like Beyonce's contract rider for what she needs in her dressing room." I have seen hosts post on here that they purchased furniture to a guest's liking. Just say no. What you have on offer is stated.

"Do you have a pool?" Uh, if we did, you would see it listed. Again super obvious they have not read the listing in any way, shape or form.

"Can I check out late?" We actually don't care about this one as we don't do back-to-back reservations. But if you do, this is another guest boundary pusher. Your space may not be a fit. 

What do you have to add, fellow hosts?

88 Replies 88

For sites like that, URLScan.io is a website I use regularly.  It will use their systems to scan the site and return if it's infected with a virus as well as a screenshot of the site.  In my past professional life, I used it quite often to explore bitly type shortened links as well as other suspicious ones.  Great tool to educate end users too, with the screenshot when it's a password harvester site.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Great post and discussion starter.  I agree with most red flag identifications.  I look at the communication as a whole.  If there a question that is answered in the listing, I politely refer them back to the listing and await further communication. If there is minimal information, I note an interest in more information and await further communication.  I have time to engage a potential guest and I am here as well.  I do not have to contend with the red flags related to whole houses, large entertainment homes, remote hosting, etc.  Or, manage many, many listings.  I just have to literally live with the results of my vetting process and only for a short while. 

Fiza1
Level 3
Charleston, SC

I ask ALL guests to confirm they've read the listing and the house rules and provide me a written confirmation prior to booking. I remind them of my (strict) cancellation policy as a reason why I want to make sure there are no surprises.

Fiza1
Level 3
Charleston, SC

Minimum age: 25

I remind folks that I need copies of IDs for everyone staying on site. This little reminder makes people behave better.

@Fiza1 Is this requirement legal? I’ve always wondered about it

The most annoying are guests trying to guilt you into making exceptions.  Try your best to be professional and don't make it personal.

"nice dog"  "quiet dog will sleep all day"  "doesn't shed" hear that alot.  My response is unfortunately the listing has a No Pets policy.

Also some guests want to exceed the maximum number at the last minute, it's a friend or parents they haven't seen in years.  

@Dave52I agree that the emotional appeal really pushes my buttons in all the wrong possible ways. But there are several hosts who have posted in this thread about how they made exceptions based on these appeals or even asked for them themselves. Its just not something I like as it feels manipulative but there are obviously others for whom this is okay. So its a strategy that works enough that people keep trying it.

When we were selling a house we got lots of offers with letters attached trying to appeal to our connection to the property and the idea that it would be well cared for by someone new who shared our values. These letters were a hoot to read and really only suitable for entertainment value as they often accompanied low ball or otherwise undesirable bids. We went with the highest offer with the best terms which incidentally had no "love letter" attached. I see these sorts of "pretty please make an exception for me"  messages in much the same light. The guests we want will be able to live with our (very reasonable) rules and terms. Those who try to substitute some other kind of hard luck story or sympathetic appeal in place of agreeing to our rules and terms tend not to be who we would like to stay with us.

@Laura2592 

One room school house!

last sentence of your house rules is a brilliant idea!

you should share it with all community, if not done already 

@Valerie-Et-Loic0I actually got that idea from the community 🙂

You are all set to stay! You read the rules. Let me know when you are coming!

Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Solo travelers renting a big house is a red flag for us. 

We have a “regular” who keep inquiring about our house (asking for a discount of course) every 60 days or so…. Every time we decline and he keeps coming back. 

Excellent points made in your post!!!

You pretty much hit all of the ones I’ve encountered. There is one more”can you allow 2 more guests to come stay, we are very clean and will treat your house like it’s out own”. Red flag! 

@Katrina281 "We will treat your house like it's our own". Oh yes, that gem. I always want to ask them how they treat their own home. Standards vary. A lot. 🙄😱

lol! Boy does the standard vary. It varies so much my housekeeper sends photos and says if this is how you treat your house… 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

"Can we set off fireworks at the house?"