Redecorating during lockdown

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Redecorating during lockdown

Liv_0-1588852294427.png

Hi everyone,

Since we’re all spending a lot of time at home, this seems to me like the perfect opportunity to be thinking of a decor update.

I thought it would be interesting if we could explore easy tips and tricks on how to make the most of this time by redecorating. 

Here are some ideas that I think could be fun and helpful to get the creative juices flowing:

Rearrange furniture - simply changing a room layout could be a great way of giving the space a fresh feel.

Change door handles - whether it’s the front door or the kitchen cabinets, adding new handles could make things look more interesting.

Paint - there are so many things that could be changed by a simple repainting project: doors, chairs, fences, cabinets and even staircases.

Apply wallpaper - much like painting, picking a fun wallpaper could make a room look a lot brighter and more inviting.

Repurpose objects (Upcycling) - An old stool that’s no longer in use could make a great bedside table. A wine rack could also be used as bathroom storage for towels and other small items.

Do you have any tips or ideas to share with the Community? Have you completed any cool DIY projects lately that you would like to tell us about? 

Feel free to contribute, I would love to know what you’ve been up to 🙂

Thanks,

Liv

91 Replies 91

@Melodie-And-John0 

LOVE~ the new patio and gazebo :-)) Looks like the perfect spot for having a beer while cloud watching for hours~ 

Thank You @Jessica-and-Henry0 , I think its going to be an even bigger hit this year than last with the updates and 5* reviews from last year.  We just have to convince guests that the snow is gone for good first.   I think I can say with very little hesitation, its gone at least until October then all bets are off!  

Heres a couple more Pics I staged yesterday with the Boggle wine version of your cloud dreaming day!  Stay well Jessica, JR

IMG_0862 (2).jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Melodie-And-John0 These pictures are lovely! And I must say, I'm impressed by how you always seem to be undertaking a new project. Hopefully it will inspire me to start at least one of my own 😂

I'm 100% with @Jessica-and-Henry0, it's looking great and it seems amazingly peaceful, the perfect spot for decompressing 😇

Thanks @Liv , It really is my fun and working on projects is as close I get to an exercise program so I need to keep up the tempo or risk being the size of a house.  I think I would like to stay at the glamper if I was looking for a place, it is a million Miles away from the pressures of the real world but still close enough to get take out Pizza From Oliveris!  It doesnt get much better than that.  Stay well Liv, JR

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

Dear hubby has finished the mud work and painting the soundproofed wall in our Atlanta place.

Soundproofed wallSoundproofed wall

The next project is installing a window so the room can be used for sleeping.  We tried to higher a local builder to help us, particularly with the siding on the exterior, but either they didn't respond to our requests for estimates, or the quotes were much higher than we are willing to pay.  One guy wanted $980, and that's even with us doing much of the work. 

So, we've made our diagram, measured the rough opening, and removed the drywall.   The obligatory run to Lowe's and Home Depot has been done, and tomorrow we start the framing.

Window for bedroomWindow for bedroomRemoved drywall and insulationRemoved drywall and insulation

At our St. Lucia place, we want to make the guestrooms more self-contained, and limit sharing amenities with and among the guests.  We purchased compact washers that will be placed in each en-suite bathroom.  Guests will be responsible for their own laundry during their stay.  The model we purchased is the Magic Chef 0.9 c.f. Compact Washer.  Its load capacity is one king sheet and pillow case, or two bath towels and two facecloths, or 4.5 lbs/ 2.0 kgs of other laundry items.

Magic Chef 0.9 c.f. washerMagic Chef 0.9 c.f. washerMagic Chef  water connectionMagic Chef water connection

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 Thanks for sharing 😊

Too bad it didn't work out hiring someone, but it's amazing to see that you're undertaking this project yourselves! Please do keep the photos coming, I'd love to see the results - especially of the new window!

Looking good @Debra300!   Windows can be a little tricky but not rocket science and Im sure you have something much better to do with the money your saving.  The little washing machine is interesting, let us know if folks use it and how it works for them.  Stay well, JR

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

We are making progress with the window renovation at our own pace.  The job was not difficult, similar to making a door frame.  Our primary concern about the siding was alleviated thanks to UTube University courses.  Today, we are finishing up the drywall work on the inside.  We may finish painting tomorrow, but it depends on how we feel.  

Before

Exterior wall without windowExterior wall without window

After

Exterior wall with windowExterior wall with window

Preparing to re-hang the drywall.

Rough-in framed windowRough-in framed window

Mud and taped drywall

Prep'd interior wall with windowPrep'd interior wall with window

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 you are doing an amazing job, the window turned out really good!

Thank you so much for the update, it's great seeing how the renovation is coming along. I hope you guys are also having fun with it 🙂

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Liv@David6824 , @Ann783@Melodie-And-John0@Jessica-and-Henry0,

The room renovation is finally completed.

When we first listed the space on Airbnb this past February, the room was a closet and home office.

Closet/home officeCloset/home office

I thought it would be better used as a small bedroom, but we needed to add a window, and soundproof the common wall with our house.

Full-size bedFull-size bed Painted dresserPainted dresser

The desk has been moved to the hallway.  I forgot to put the desk lamp on desk.  We will install a wardrobe on the back hallway wall (this same wall which was soundproofed).  The door on the right is to the new bedroom.

Work spaceWork space

The dresser that I painted blue has been placed behind the dining table.

Blue dresserBlue dresser

We will be the first to stay in the newly renovated space, because our next project is to expand and reconfigure the bathroom in our house.  So, we will likely stay in the apartment for a couple of months.

@Debra300  Nice remodel. I like your use of color and pattern in the bedspead and rug.

Always a good idea to stay in your rental space from time to time- "OMG, look at all the dead bugs and dust in the ceiling light fixture, honey." There's things you'd never notice during daylight cleaning hours.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,

Whenever we stay in either of our apartments in Atlanta or St. Lucia, it actually feels like we are holidays even if we go back to our primary space for food or other household items when necessary.

@Debra300  I know what you mean. I only have 2 bedrooms- one is mine, with a queen bed, one is the guest room with a single bed. My room is also larger. When I have friends or family come to visit, and it's a couple, I give them my room and move into the guest room. I end up feeling like I'm the guest, instead of them, since I'll just move some clothes and personal essentials into the guest room, about the same amount of stuff one of my Airbnb guests might have 🙂 And since I don't sleep there on a regular basis, it somehow feels special.

@Debra300 @Sarah977 

Completely know what you mean :-))

Henry and I tend to have erratic sleep patterns so with no guest we have a *spare* bedroom away from Henry's study and kitchen (our master bedroom shares a wall with the kitchen and is directly in front of Henry's study) - great for taking naps when we don't want to be disturbed, or when we don't want to wake the other person going to bed really late or getting up really early. We've found that the guest bedroom mattress is perfect for me (I've always preferred a firm mattress) while Henry found it a little too firm - we are thinking of getting a better, softer topper for guests who might prefer a softer mattress. 

@Debra300 You did a great job. Bravo!