Refund Request Advice

Shae39
Level 2
Montana, United States

Refund Request Advice

This is my first time in 3 years and over 200 bookings that I am at a loss. I had a guest check in to a very throughly cleaned space and then check out 3 hours later canceling her 4 day reservation and requesting a full refund because ‘tones of bugs’ are coming I. The front door and ‘we are not comfortable’ staying here.

keep in mind the prior guest review the space as ‘literally the best AirBnB I’ve ever stayed in’.

these people that canceled are referring to tiny tiny little flies that are more abundant this time of year because we are in an alfalfa farm field that has not yet been hayed. They don’t bite, the die within a couple hours, and they make there way in through microscopic cracks. There were around 20 of them.

They are all over my 10 acres and in all three of my AirBnBs and short of spraying Monsanto all over my property, there is nothing I can do. It’s part of being in rural Montana.

no other guest has complained or even mentioned it as an issue. All my recent ratings are 5 stars.

the unit did rebook so I only missed one night of income but they did lay in the bed and use the facilities so I had to do a full turnover.

what, if anything should I reimburse them?

3 Replies 3
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Shae39 the insect issue is troublesome as some guests have zero tolerance for seeing even one on a rural property. Logic dictates that those guests should not book a rural property in the height of summer, but here we are. 

When I have seen others post about this, they have advised that you add something to your listing about the possibility of insects. We did as the name Firefly Cottage was not enough to alert prospective guests to the presence of insects on our rural, partially wooded property in one of the most damp parts of the US 🙂 Add that "insects and wildlife are present in this rural location" to your listings ASAP.

Instead of fully refunding or defending with someone else's review, I would offer a "courtesy" settlement of whatever you are comfortable with. Its best not to involve ABB as they will refund the guest especially if you don't mention bugs in your listing.

I would say:

"I am so sorry you feel this is not a good fit. Yes, we do have insects that get into the space in the summer at times. We do treat for them, but rural properties have these challenges. I am happy to offer you a courtesy refund of X despite my normal cancellation policy. I want all of my guests to be thrilled and if my space is not a fit for you, I am happy to make recommendations for other hosts in the area. I will send your refund to you via ABB immediately. Thank you!"

Notice I did not give the guest a choice in this verbiage. Just send her the refund and don't wait for her to agree. 

I would call ABB and let them know that you refunded the guest and they are looking for new accommodation. That insects are part of rural life and not an indication of lack of cleanliness. I would also leave the following review:

"So and so was a good communicator/pleasant  (whatever is nice and true to say) but not a fit for our rural property. We wish her the best."

@Shae39   All of @Laura2592 's advice is spot-on.

The most recent trip I booked, the listing that stole my heart was the one that prominently put in its description a "List of Animals You May Encounter During Your Stay." After listing the home features and amenities, there was a detailed, affectionately geeky inventory of the local wildlife, not excluding the mosquitoes and a special rare species of ant. Usually I only find these at campsites, but it was refreshing to see a cottage taking the same approach.

@Anonymous for a split second I actually thought of doing that but then remembered that living in Chicago, most of my list would be taken over by various kinds of rats.