Refusal to Pay Host with no guest complaint

Amy2206
Level 1
Denver, CO

Refusal to Pay Host with no guest complaint

I am wondering if anyone has had this issue with Airbnb as I have not in the past.  I had a stay Feb 3 to 7.  I reached out to Airbnb on Feb 4 saying my payment had not been posted, nor had I received notice of payment.  They said to wait ten days.  This seemed ridiculous to me, so I waited the 3 days a normal payment would clear.  Since then it has been a complete nightmare.  No one will respond to my messages through this website/app.  This first response was not even in English.  Then someone named Amit responded saying he would help me and sent a fake ACH trace number.  I happened to be talking to my bank when he sent it and they said all trace numbers have 15 digits and anyone would know that, Amit sent a 7digit number.  Since I responded and said it was a fake number, no one at Airbnb has responded.  I have called 3x only to be put on hold and said someone would have to call me back.  Some manager named Janelle was supposed to call me back today, before 5:15 and did not.  My bank said it they could the alleged payment if Airbnb could provide a legitimate ACH trace number, and it is not difficult.  Airbnb refuses to provide it.  I filed a complaint with the FTC but expect that will take months to resolve.  Has anyone on this had the issue? It is truly maddening dealing with them.  

8 Replies 8
Amy2206
Level 1
Denver, CO

My original title was Airbnb refusal to Pay Host with no Guest Complaints but when I tried to post it, it came back as an error and said it would not post.  

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Sigh

I doubt anyone at Airbnb knows what's happened to your payment, and it's too much work to hunt it down. 

You probably just need to keep calling (not writing) until somebody wakes up. 

I can't get anyone on the phone to help me.  Though I was able to track down another number that I am going to try! 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Amy2206 try contacting them by twitter as Airbnb don't like bad publicity. Failing a decent reply from Airbnb its the small claims court route I am afraid.

Thank you!  I will try that approach.  

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Amy2206

I'm sorry to hear you've been running into some issues getting this payout and support from our teams. I've raised this on my end for you and I hope we can get it sorted shortly. 🙂 

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Amy2206
Level 1
Denver, CO

My bank said the trace number is readily available and does not understand why I was not immediately provided this information when requested.  I imagine providing a false trace number is at the very least unethical if not flat out against the law

@Amy2206   It's quite possible that the payout was never sent. Airbnb loves to give a ton of excuses for things rather than own up to the issue lying with them. "It must be an issue with your bank". 

Or when I suddenly stopped receiving my text alerts, "Maybe your text inbox is full". No. "The problem must be with your phone provider." No, I get all my other text messages just fine.

Finally, after half a dozen back and forths, the rep deigns to speak to the tech team who confirm the issue is on their end .

A host on another forum had 6 missing payouts dating back months. Airbnb kept giving her the run-around, "The appropriate team is looking into it", blah blah. Finally in desperation, she contacted all those past guests, saying she had never gotten paid for their stays, and would they mind phoning Airbnb to ask why their host hadn't been paid- where was the money they had paid Airbnb? 5 of the guests did that and all of her payments, that supposedly required months of "investigation" as to their whereabouts,  miraculously appeared in  her account the next morning.