Registering a B&B - Scottish Highlands

Ruth890
Level 2
Gairloch, United Kingdom

Registering a B&B - Scottish Highlands

Hi all!

Last year, I decided to list my spare bedroom on Airbnb and hosted guest stays on my days off from my full time job. After lovely guest feedback and the demand for accommodation in the area, I decided that this year I would open the room full time and do this as my main employment. Obviously, due to Covid-19, I haven't hosted any stays this year but as the situation changes I am beginning to prepare to open the room (as soon as it is safe to do so and I can by law). 

My question is, as I now move on to host full time, do i need to register as a business in Scotland? What constitutes a BNB in Scotland? (number of bookings per year, number of guests/rooms etc) I understand that I would need to complete a self-assessment tax return for my earnings. 

I also plan to open a second guest room in the future, does this alter my situation? 

I would really love some clear and concise advice from other hosts in Scotland who are knowledgable in this area or who have had to take the same steps me.

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies 3
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ruth890 A B&B & an Airbnb are two very different things................... 

Any spare room can be let on Airbnb, but a 'proper' B&B brings with it certain expectations, eg of breakfast, probably served, & a full Scottish Breakfast to boot! - Whereas MOST private room Airbnbs don't include  breakfast, & those that do are usually help yourself breakfasts....

My nasty neighbour reported me to the Council for 'running an illegal, unlicensed B&B..... A chap from the Council wandered round & said "It's only Airbnb, that's just like having lodgers really, isn't it?"

Some 'homeshare' Airbnbs are just that - homeshare, like having a very short term lodger. (I know of one across the other side of the county run by a young lad that is a real doss house! Whereas mine is a cleaner doss house!) Obviously some 'proper B&Bs use the Airbnb platform to market their services....

If you register as a B&B, you are presumably liable to all sorts of rules & regulations..... Whereas Airbnbs are unregulated.

Why would you want to register as a B&B? What's wrong with letting two rooms on Airbnb?

Ruth890
Level 2
Gairloch, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen350 , thank you for your response. 

I just want to ensure that I am doing everything correctly in terms of tax etc.

Sorry to hear about your nasty neighbour, I can imagine something similar happening here. 

Rachel1885
Level 1
Fortrose, United Kingdom

hi just wondering how long it normally takes to get a booking in general, my listing went Live on wed morning, is it just a case of waiting? 
thanks