Regulations for homestays in FL (possibly Vero Beach area)

Renee7
Level 2
Cambria, CA

Regulations for homestays in FL (possibly Vero Beach area)

I am considering relocating to FL and would like to again offer homestay facilities through Airbnb. I have contacted two local realtors within the state, neither of which is familiar with regulations permitting homestays. May I ask those of you who offer said services to offer input for their areas and suggest who I might contact (bureaucratic agencies) for more information? I need to know the requirements before I purchase my new residence.

Thank you all in advance.

Renee

9 Replies 9
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Renee7 What? You want to leave God's little green acre to move to Florida?  I can say that because I'm across the mountain from you in Templeton.. 🙂

Having an Airbnb in Florida is quite different than here.  For example, Airbnb collects the TOT for all hosts there.  I would suggest that you post your question in the Miami Community.  Even though Vero Beach is quite far, you may get an answer from those that live in that state. 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Miami/ct-p/miami

Wish you the best of luck!

Joan55
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

Hi Renee,

I am a realtor with Century 21  Gulf Coast and I have rented rooms out in my home in Cape Coral, Fl since 2006.  I know all the rules, regulations, etc.   In the beginning I had to pay two different taxes.  6% Sales Tax, and a Hotel/Vacation Tax to Lee County of 5%.

It was really a pain as they were due on different dates.   I went to the Mayor and we discussed the options of having AirBnB collect this tax from our customers.   Now AirBnB collects from each booking the 11%.   I do not have to worry about this.  If you have not purchased yet, you shoud look into the SW Florida and the city of Cape Coral.  We have many Vacation Rentals here and many people from Germany, Switzerland and other places in Europe.  Cape Coral is the second safest city on the US.   Cape coral has more canals than anywhere in the entire world.  The canals lead to nowhere or to the wonderful Gulf of Mexico.   We have wonderful restaurants, entertainment and much more to offer.  The RSW Fort Myers airport is only a half hour to my home in the oldest part of the Cape.

The Yacht Club area was the first community to be developed here.  [Personal information hidden]

Each city is different, but I hope that this has helped you.

Regards,

Joan

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Oh Dear.... You mean you actually had to go through the process of registering your business with State, County, and Local Governments, and then follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principles?  Oh the Horrors.... Being in Business, and actually Acting Like a Business.???

Hi Mark,

Now AirBnB does all this for you here in Cape Coral.   It was a mess prior to my contacting the Mayor.   Because AirBnB collects from our customrs, and pays the City and State, it is a no longer a problem.   

[Personal advertising hidden]

Also check out sink hole maps and hurricanes.  I was here for Charlie....lost electric and water for a week.  Most homes had minor damage.   Hurricanes usually go further north or east.  Sink holes have not been a problem.  We have never had a flood that took our the city.   

Regards,

Joan

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

AirBnB doesn't tell Local, County or State government agencies anything about my business.  It collects Sales and Transient Occupancy Taxes from our guests, and forwards those funds along with all the funds collected from all the other businesses who have hosted guests through the AirBnB platform as one single check, with no identification as to whose account to credit what amount.  I'm still obligated to collect the appropriate taxes from guests who come our way through other platforms, and forward those funds to the appropriate agencies.  It doesn't make our accounting any easier.  It throws a unique wrench into the process, accounting for normal transactions in a professional manner, and dealing with the AirBnB transactions in another.

I've hosted many guests who've stayed in Cape Coral while visiting the state.  They tell me what I already know.... which is why we live where we do, and have no plans to leave. 

I accepted a two week reservation for January this morning by the way.... The guests recently sold their condo in Cape Coral, and are looking forward to staying with us next winter.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Suggestions to check with Miami, Cape Coral, or Fort Myers may be well intentioned, but they're not going to give you the location specific information you need.

Check with the City of Vero Beach, and Indian River County Government Offices regarding their specific regulations.  Local Municipal and County Government Offices are the place to start.  And don't forget about the State.  Every community has their own Planning and Zoning regulations you need to comply with. Start there to determine what the regulations are, and what you need to do in order to comply with them.

Joan55
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

I am on AirBnb and rent rooms out in my house.  I am also a Realtor here.   I have sold many homes and condos that are now listed on AirBnB.

How can I help you?  I sell at least two homes a year to my AirBnB customers.

Joan

Hi Joan! I am doing some research myself on similar matters in Cape Coral, would  you mind emailing me at *personal information hidden* to further discuss? If so, that would be great! Thankyou!

Heather751
Level 2
Cape Coral, FL

Joan do I need to do anything special with my listing on air bnb to make sure that they are taking the tax out for cape coral and the 6% state tax out for fl?