Rehabilitation Notice Las Vegas

LVStayTime0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Rehabilitation Notice Las Vegas

I just eceived an order from Clark County:

Rehabilitation Notice.

They give me 2 weeks to rehabilitate my property.

1.Cease the daily and weekly rental of the property, Residential properties may not be rented less than 31-days at a time

2.Cease the advertisement for the daily and weekly vaction rental of the property.

Failuer to do above will result in lien for civil penalty $1000 per day.

Would you follow their "advice" or would you take a stand and try to maneuver? An ideas? Or I am done??

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Are you letting your place for less than 31 days, knowing that local laws don't allow you to do so? (presume you were, or they wouldn't have issued the notice).

If so, they are not giving you 'advice'. They are confirming the legal position and telling you, you will be fined $1000 dollars a day if you continue.

You are lucky they aren't going to take legal action to retrospectively fine you for the bookings you have already had, that break local by-laws.

If you want to keep listing, comply with the minimum stay requirements.

The entire city is doing that...my neighbor for over 2 years...never got a notice not even now...sneaky neighbors??

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Whether your neighbour or other are doing is not the point though is it?

You came on here asking for advice about your situation after your city gave you a legal notice for not complying with local by-laws.

LVStayTime0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Are you letting your place for less than 31 days, knowing that local laws don't allow you to do so? (presume you were, or they wouldn't have issued the notice). - True. However this notice was issued because it was called in.

You are lucky they aren't going to take legal action to retrospectively fine you for the bookings you have already had, that break local by-laws. - If they had anything I would have been charged already.. so again it was called in and they based their opinion on someone's word...

How do I know it was called in?? Some not careful official told me that on the phone.

Whether your neighbour or other are doing is not the point though is it? - It is not and it is.

You need to start asking around in your area to see how your locality handles these things.  Start making calls to realtors and landlords you may know.  Anyone who might work at the city and know about this stuff.  Only by doing this research will you be able to find out if this is something you need to be worried about, or if it is something you can file away in the garbage can.

I seriously doubt they could really fine you $1000/day.  That's insane.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Yes, they will fine you $1000 per day that you rent out the property. Thats not a joke. No sense fighting it as its already on the law books. As you're in Clark County its not illegal until someone reports you. The money was good while it lasted but the only option you have it is to rent more than 31 days. Trust me. They have you on their radar and have created a file for your property and if you continue they will take you in front of the Council and present all of the evidence against you. Not only that but they will subpoena AirBnB for your rental activity for your property and that is how they will base your fine. If you want to see how it plays out just look up City Council meetings from about a year ago and everyone was getting fined into the tens of thousands. They eventually take about 70% off the balance but its still a good chunk of money and time expended.

In regards to your rehabilitation notice what state is the property in to get one of those? That is more than likely what tipped them off. Also, you can report your neighbors via a phone call.

By the time you get a notice they have already done all of their research and its been proven you are renting out and have advertised for less than 31 days. They will check HomeAway, VrBO and Airbnb. They will also post themselves outside of the unit in a nondescript car and watch your place and see who is coming and going. Sometimes they will even interview the people coming and going.

Next step is to immediately change the days you can host to 31. If you dont change it they will keep sending you notices.

Good Luck.

Hi,

I just got one with my property, and do I need to respond them? or just need to change the days I can host to 31 or just remove my property from all the platform? 

thank you

You change it to 31 days or more. It just cannot be less than 31 days. 

Think long term renting (it's allowed)

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

How ponderous that Vegas would band Airbnb transient occupancy. The politicians are IN BED with the big hotels and the hotel employee union. That's how it always works. Money talks -- mom and pop Airbnb hosts walk. And I'm sure they sold it under some fake guise of Airbnb guests being a nuisance to neighborhoods.