Rejected shared housing registration application due to missing unit number

Mimi91
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Rejected shared housing registration application due to missing unit number

Hello, my application was rejected by City of Chicago for missing the unit number. Anyone know how to appeal / reapply / update my application? I have until 11/9 to resolve this or I have to take down my listing. Airbnb customer service has not been helpful, they've escalated to their legal team to reach out to me. I've been waiting for an update since 11/3.

9 Replies 9
Rachel788
Level 2
Chicago, IL

hey mimi there's other posts on this topic. many of them are from august. it's definitely a pain in the you know what, but know that it's not just you.

Lynnette18
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Hi, how did you guys resolve this? Just been hit with a rejection email. 

@Lynnette18 It looks like you are in Philadelphia, this is a chicago post. Each town is its own ordinances. Take a look at your letter, at the original ordinance and maybe search here for philly posts or find a local Facebook group. Good luck!

Lynnette18
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I’m in Chicago and not Philadelpia. 

@Lynnette18   That neither changes my advice very much nor give anyone enough information to help you out. What specifically was the reason for rejection? 

Rachel788
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Hi Lynnette

As for me, I had to add the unit number as per City regulations, and I did that by creating a new listing and eventually deleting the first one since airbnb was slow to respond when I was relying on them to add the unit number. Eventually, I was contacted by an airbnb rep as well, but it was only because I made duplicate (ish) listing in my opinion. My time to renew is almost here. I have only one listing, and therefore am not subject to the rules and regulations of people with multiple units, which there seem to be quite a lot of in Chicago.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rachel788  no one in Chicago can have more than one Airbnb. Those with more than one manage it for others @Lynnette18  if you have been rejected specifically for missing the number, Airbnb will correct that for you and resubmit. Just give them a call. 

Rachel788
Level 2
Chicago, IL

@Inna22yes. yes you can have more than one property (guess you're not on chicago FB group. some folks have even gone to the city to get their special license and b/c all the legislation is relatively new they don't have a clear cut process. (my summary from being in FB group) Of course, many others just skirt around. I mean sheet did you see NYT article about guy renting out entire building while landlord turned a blind eye. (yes, not chicago but the problem is the same)

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rachel788 I am not a big FB user but it seems I should join. I guess you are right- you can get a an exception with alderman’s permission. Mine is being “fed” but a guy who is building a hotel so I would never get one