Remodel advice: 2 studios or 2 bedroom

Andrew1070
Level 2
Arcata, CA

Remodel advice: 2 studios or 2 bedroom

Hi everyone!

I’m planning to remodel my basement. It’s 1000 square feet. There is enough room to create 2 studio spaces or one 2 bedroom space. Which scenario is more likely to make the most money?

What percentage of Airbnb travelers require 2 bedrooms?

thanks so much!!

5 Replies 5
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Andrew1070

I would remodel it in 2 studios and then I would make 3 listings : studio 1, studio 2 and together as 2 bdr apartment with 2 bathrooms. You can link those 3 listings so you don't get overbooking.

We have one flat divided in studio + 2 bdr apartment but we also list both of them togeether as 3 bdr apartment. My experience is that 2 bdr apartment has the most views and bookings, studio a bit less and 3 bdr apartment at least. But it depends of the area and your competitors.

Keep in mind that smaller groups are less trouble usually. Bigger groups pay less attention to rules and your instructions but... more listings = more turnovers so more time consuming

Thanks Branka and Silvia!! Great idea! My wife has trouble believing that a 2 bedroom would be more popular than a studio. My guess is there are a lot more Studios available and more competition for the 2 bedrooms.

@Andrew1070

exactly. In my area many people invested their savings into small flat and turned it into Airbnb studio or 1 bdr so now there are much more studios then bigger apartments and almost all of them have just 1 double bed and are suited just for a couple.

the best would be to have boxspring beds so you can have all single beds or double beds without a gap in the middle.

Our experience is that very often 2 guests will book 2 bdr apartment because they want to sleep in 2 separate bedrooms. They are colleagues, friends, family or else...

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You would make more on two spaces... But you are likely to have big issues with noise between the two which may ultimately be more trouble than it's worth. If they don't have separate bath and kitchen etc then they are not separate, which would also be a significant problem for max $$.

i would also be careful on zoning - most places limit how many kitchens and max occupancy on a single lot.

I have no numbers of bedrooms - I think Airdna may have that. Most guests are happy with sofa bed and bedroom for four, since Airbnb about low cost, so not sure that extra bedroom is huge upside.

i would keep it as a simple and low cost as possible. Airbnb is not as lucrative as it once was....

Andrew1070
Level 2
Arcata, CA

Thanks Pete! Yah the low cost idea is a good one! These remodels are expensive!!