Remote Hosting

David2422
Level 1
Orlando, FL

Remote Hosting

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking about hosting a property we own in but manage it remotely.  Is anyone out there doing it with success?  We have an idea of what it takes, however can anyone give us some insight on how you started the process and what an average month looks like e.g. communicating with guests, managing stays and cleaners? 

7 Replies 7
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Suggest you arrange a competent local co-host, who can regularly inspect the property for you and manage emergency situations (e.g. guest spots a mouse, unexpected plumbing issues, etc.) Also, be on good terms with neighbors and make sure they know how to reach you any time.

Rebecca580
Level 1
Sedona, AZ

Hi David,

I just started remote hosting on Air BnB and had to go through a couple of "trial and errors" before getting it all sorted out. If you dont know anyone in your area you can request a co-host through the Air BnB website. I am from a much smaller area than orlando so I had to fly back to my property and interview people after posting a local ad. I ended up finding two cleaning services (always good to have back up) and two concierge-like assistants. One checks the house after every cleaning and helps with "what to do" questions and helps me stage any special guests (I give cheese and wine basket for guests staying a month or longer) and another concierge assistant who frequently checks the house and does maintenance or extra cleaning like blows off my back porch and checks the house for leaks, bugs etc. I pay each $25/hour which in the end is less expensive than the 20% co-host fees. As the owner I am the main host on the website and remotely manage all the bookings, communication and scheduling of the cleaners. I live in Portland and my rental is in Sedona AZ. I also installed remote controlled temperature thermostat and remote locking system that ties into the Air BnB app and generates random guest codes for each check in. These codes only work during the time the guest is booked and automatically get emailed to them with the app that comes with the door lock. All is ver automated so its pretty easy to managed. I have had only a few "emergencies" like a mose got in the house but my concierge assistants called the esterminator and it was handled. Best of luck to you and feel to reach out if you have questions.

Hi Rebecca, 

I saw your note about remote hosting and have some questions as well. 

I currently live in NC where I have an Airbnb in my basement which has been very successful. I have plans to move to CO, where I would also like to have a similar set-up, but want to keep the Airbnb in NC. I would open up the entire home in NC but am curious about hiring a cleaning crew and co-host like you mentioned. It seems like that would eat into a LOT of the profit especially since I seem to have a lot of one-night stays. Have you found that you earn enough to make it worthwhile (i.e. able to pay the mortgage plus extra??)? 

Also, I really like the idea of having remote-controlled thermostat and door lock that generates a new code each time. Can you tell me which brand/model you went with please? 

Any other insight is greatly appreciated!! 

BTW, here is my current Airbnb in case you're ever near Apex, NC, haha...https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18753424?s=51

Thanks!
Mark

Mark720
Level 2
Apex, NC

Hi David, 

I am curious if you moved forward with remote hosting, and how your experience has been. I may be moving to CO but would like to keep my current home as an Airbnb, but I am unsure how to go about doing that and have a lot of questions about it. 

Any insight you may have is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Mark

@Mark720 wrote:

Hi David, 

I am curious if you moved forward with remote hosting, and how your experience has been. I may be moving to CO but would like to keep my current home as an Airbnb, but I am unsure how to go about doing that and have a lot of questions about it. 

Any insight you may have is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Mark

I have been unable to tag anyone today for some reason, but wanted to respond to this.

We host remotely and have had success with it. The key of course is to have in place an excellent cleaning staff/helper who can be trusted and who communicated well with you.

With our cleaning staff, we share a Google Calendar, where we keep track of check ins and out and cleaning dates. We also verify this with texts or calls. I rely on them to let me know if anything is out of place, missing, or if any supplies need to be refilled. 

I would also suggest you set up iHome with a keyless entry lock and invest in an exterior security camera to be able to monitor entry both with who is coming and going via the camera as well as when people come and go with the door being opened and closed. 

Feel free to contact me with questions. 

John,

Thanks so much for the reply and information!  Great idea about sharing Google Calendar. I can see that being a challenge - keeping track of coming and goings of guests and cleaning crew, etc. 

Do you tend to have mostly multiple night stays, or a lot of one-night stays?  I am asking because that would certainly eat into the profits - by paying the cleaning crew each time. But, I assume it is worth it?? 

Thanks,

Mark

Francie49
Level 1
Riverbank, CA

Hi everyone!  This conversation looks a couple years old, but I'm a newbie, thinking of renting out our home in KY.  We live in CA.  Your concerns are all the ones I have as well.

Are you all satisfied with your choice to rent your home or have you had issues?

My concerns are finding a reliable company to inspect, clean and restock the home after guests leave.  Was this difficult for any of you?