Remote: Wifi off, breaker flipped??... guest refuses to communicate

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Remote: Wifi off, breaker flipped??... guest refuses to communicate

Howdy all,

Landed in Milwaukee about 90 minutes ago to another guest request (in Chicago) to adjust the thermostat for whole building for him because he wants it warmer in his room.   Attempting to do so,  Wifi looks offline.  Either Comcast out or a breaker is flipped,   possibily affecting furnace.

Ask guest to check what Wifi networks are showing and check breaker box.  Reply (from an aspiring doctor who has been a bit entitled despite a low season discount rate than is 1/3rd our summer pricing) is "I don't know,  and I'm not comfortable checking fuses."

No replies to direct follow-up and questions about the furnace running;   it's currently down to 67F in the house and 30 outside,   so will probably reach about 55F inside by mid-day tomorrow if the heat is off.    I can send someone by to check,   but I pay for than and not having the info I need is frustrating -- so would be paying $40 to have someone go by and flip a breaker because this guy won't try.

As it is past my jetlagged bedtime,  "any thoughts" or "how would you handle this?"

P.S.  This also means that security / surveillance is out,  since I have failed to maintain redundant / failover / backup networking ...

32 Replies 32

@Helen3 thank you

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 @Helen3 @Pete28  @Kelly149

I crossed swords with Kenneth a few years ago on the forum over something which I can't remember now.

Ken may even remember, I am sure Kelly would. But we have come to understand each other. Ken has some good comments and is an assett to the forum, and I think he probably feels the same of me now. His hosting style and mine differ but we each respect that we are in different parts of the world and face different challenges with our hosting.

I hate to see any of us beat each other up, there are just so many great contributors here and we all enrich each others lives.

@Kenneth12, when I was your age I could make the odd aggresive comment that,  at the point I have reached now, I probably would like to take back. Mate, you will mellow to, like a fine wine, it may be best for all to just take the edge off those personal references!

Not a criticism mate, just an observation!

Cheers.....Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Rob @Robin0

I appreciate your point of view  but I feel there is never a reason to be outright rude to a fellow host on this community because you don't share the same point of view.

This is not the first time I have seen @Kenneth0 make rather abrasive comments when he doesn't like the feedback he receives and his response to @Inna0 was so rude that it was removed by the mods here.

I don't think age is an excuse for such poor behaviour.

Normally we agree but on this occassion we will have to agree to disagree.

Best Helen 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helen3

Helen, I agree with you 100%!

I was just trying to tell Kenneth in diplomatic terms. I don't want to throw stones and I don't want others to either.

I was sort of hoping I got that across in that post, if I didn't I am sorry.

Hey, have a great festive season Helen. Do you know, I have never experienced a white Christmas. The summer heat here at this time of year tends to make us lazy....This was last nights dinner for Ade and I....I couldn't even be bothered cooking!

IMG20181204202743.jpg

Cheers.....Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you  @Robin4

I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Your food and setting looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

We don't normally we don't get proper snow here. But did for the first time in about ten years last year. It was amazing.

Will dig out some photos for you.

I think @Kenneth12's  response below amply illustrates the disdain he holds his fellow hosts in unfortunately. Why continue to post when you clearly don't value the input you receive?

The incompetent moderators removed my comment?  Really?  I'm sure I could cost any of them a few hundred K in litigation costs.

Inna was rude.  Most hosts posting here are rude,  inappropriate,  and useless.

Personally as a guest user, I would not want to have to worry about fuses or circuit breakers.

Normally I'd assume that it's okay for my mom to watch TV in the living room while my dad making microwave popcorn in the kitchen while I'm using the hairdryer in the bathroom........ I'd be worried about the wiring of the home (and our safety) if someone told me I can't use more than 2 appliances at the same time without flipping a breaker!

I agree in my household we have hairdryers, straighteners, laptops, phones, mircowaves, cookers, liquidisers, food processers etc going without a problem 🙂

Sadly the US has 120v on most circuits, which even with a 15A fuse limits what you can do to 1800w which would not cover a microwave and toaster.

In the US microwave is typically on its own circuit for this reason.

Electric heaters and hair dryers will also trip a breaker here if on same circuit. For this reason hotels never have plugged in electric heaters and is in fact against code in most places. 

First,  I suspect you may not understand how breakers work.  It's not just amps,  it's also spike,  to keep it simple.

20A breaker here with a quick spike.

Otherwise-- no guys,  they work the way they do for safety.  And in Mexico... don't get me started at the lack of safety enforcement.

@Kenneth12 Actually all the wiring in my Mexican house was done by an American friend who is a licensed electrician. My wiring would pass any American or Canadian inspection. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It seems pretty obvious to me that if breakers trip when "too many" things are plugged in, one needs to install more circuits. I've never had a circuit overload either in my house in Canada or my house in Mexico.

It doesn't seem like something guests should be having to deal with.

@Sarah977

Exactly~!!!!!!!!

@Jessica-and-Henry0

Jess, did you see my posting below....we have to work within the regulations! It's not just a matter of whacking in an extra circuit or two when we feel like it. I am an electrical contrcator, I can do that in the blink of an eye. But I don't want my property condemned....I need to work within the rules.

Not often I disagree with you Jess but that annoyed me a bit I'm afraid.

Nothing is as simple as that!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

I'm not expecting anyone to break rules...... but imo finding a solution that works is kinda the hosts/homeowners responsibility. My point is..... that as a guest, this isn't something I want to worry about. 

If the problem is that people use all appliances in sight...... maybe it's better to  limit the no. of appliances and electronics available. Also, many electronics nowadays continue to consume quite a bit of electricity even if they are off or on standby mode..... maybe this is also something to consider? 

I'm in an urban environment but I do not provide an endless supply of hot water to guests. I've adjusted my settings so hot water becomes lukewarm after 20 mins.