Remote hosts-- do you enjoy your space yourselves?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Remote hosts-- do you enjoy your space yourselves?

We have some guests who are checking out right before we get a nice relaxing weekend at our cottage to ourselves. Its snowing, Dry January is in the rearview, and my husband and I are looking forward to enjoying our space with a bottle of wine, dog in tow. Of course, there are some maintenance things to take care of too, and spending regular time at our cottage helps us to keep it in good shape. 

We purchased this house with the intent of someday not having to use it as a short term rental, and we typically average about one weekend a month where we stay there and just enjoy it. Sometimes we don't block off time fast enough and our weekends book! We also use our stays to explore the area and update any recommendations as things change locally. Remote hosts, do you do the same sort of thing? How often do you get to use your space yourselves?

21 Replies 21
Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

We bought our listing so that we could enjoy it.  I absolutely love it, I’m fact I think that’s why guests also love it,  almost every time I’m there I find something to add to make it more comfortable.  It’s high season so we haven’t gotten to stay in a while, but we have a week in April booked, and there are a few dates in March we might be able to sneak in.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sadly we've been in lockdown for much of last year and all of this year until March at least - so holidays are all but a distant memory @Laura2592  😁😁😢😢😢😢

@Helen3 we actually got to stay at our cottage for a month when we were totally locked down. It was springtime and gorgeous. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

With our lockdown legislation we aren't allowed to travel during lockdown for holidays so sadly this hasn't been possible. @Laura2592 

I do understand the reasons for this as it contributes to the spread of the virus and I work for our NHS on Covid programmes so I am not about to break the law, but when it's cold and miserable outside and you haven't had a holiday for a year - it's so frustrating 🙂

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

.... but we can rejoice with those who can, & imagine ourselves holed up in a cosy cottage somewhere!

- Especially somewhere in the woods in rural USA.... COSY!

- Actually, as I don't own a holiday cottage, but rather let my spare rooms, I find it helps to imagine my place were my holiday cottage...... That motivates me to titivate, & make nicer (aka tidy up!)

And as I live on the edge of England's most popular National Park, I can boost my own morale, by imagining myself in my own holiday cottage 365 a year!

@Laura2592 @Helen3 

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

Laura and Helen, your places are adorable.  I think staying in them is what brings the hominess to them.  Sadly I think that’s what missing from many Airbnb’s, the owners haven’t actually stayed to make them comfortable. 

@Michelle1851 I agree. I have stayed in spaces that were obviously created for income alone and spaces that are someone's pride and joy vacation spot/someday retirement or family home. There is a huge difference in the atmosphere. Nothing whatsoever wrong with an income only property, but staying in someone's beloved, personally curated space feels more like staying with a trusted friend. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Ah thanks so much @Michelle1851 

This is my Victorian home that I moved into a couple of years ago and renovated...you should have seen it when I moved in 🙂

My partner has a holiday place in Devon on the coast but it's out of bounds until our travel restrictions are lifted.

Our space is actually very close - just around the corner. We're in a larger house that is in a constant state of rehab so it's relaxing to hang out at the apartment instead every now and then.  Something about being in a space that is orderly and comfortable and done just the way we like it. I highly recommend enjoying your extra spaces for yourselves!

@Christine615 I definitely agree. Its a mental relief to be in a cute, clean, cozy space when you are remodeling. Our main house is a Victorian that is in constant need of some repair or renovation (just finished the kitchen and master bath is up next for Feb/March). So nice to get away from that chaos and dust. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 The concept of dry January is overrated and should not be taken seriously. Much prefer to drink very month of the year.

@Mike-And-Jane0  But only on the days that end with y. 

@Anonymous Very true - after all you don't want to over do it

@Mike-And-Jane0  we have serious alcohol issues on both sides of our families so we do it as a break each year and to ensure that we aren't overindulging in a way that could lead to health problems. With the lockdown, contentious election and people trying to overthrow the government, this year was more of a challenge than most. But yes, #winejanuary is a lot more fun than #dryjanuary.