RemoteLock message integration DOA with removal of guest email feature

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

RemoteLock message integration DOA with removal of guest email feature

Airbnb and RemoteLock advertise their integration with the ability to automatically generate and send guest door codes.

With Airbnb's removal of its guest email feature, this integration is now broken, despite both companies' promises to the contrary, even if you opt in to continuing access to the guest email feature by "attesting" you will not misuse it. The only way to automatically send door codes is now via Airbnb message, immediately upon booking confirmation. There is no longer any way to send them at a set period of time before check-in.

@Airbnb you have just tossed a new reason onto the growing heap of reasons to discontinue listing with your platform.

@Catherine-Powell @Katie 

14 Replies 14
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Lisa723,

Thanks for flagging this, sorry to hear this isn't working. 

Just to check, you use a RemoteLock lock right? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lizzie I use the ResortLock locks, but according to RemoteLock/EdgeState this regression applies to the Airbnb integration of all of their lock interfaces.

I expect Airbnb to deactivate my listings on Nov. 20 anyway, as I'm not signing up for the still-ambiguous five-step cleaning protocol, so this is not such a big deal for me as it might have otherwise been.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lisa723, aww this is so sad to hear. I do hope once we wave goodbye to COVID you might return to hosting on Airbnb. 

I have an update on the RemoteLock email situation and it appears RemoteLock have updated the way they automatically send their codes to guests. Instead of it going through the guest email system the codes are automatically sent via Airbnb's messaging system, so they are all in one place for the guest. 

Are you hearing from your guests that this isn't happening? Do let me know and I pass this on to the team who looks after this area. 

Speak to you soon and enjoy the rest of your day. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie right, as I said in my original post, "The only way to automatically send door codes is now via Airbnb message, immediately upon booking confirmation. There is no longer any way to send them at a set period of time before check-in."

This is not useful. I'm fine with using Airbnb message, but I don't want to send codes months before check-in. This is a safety issue, especially as ResortLock codes cannot be rescinded after issuing.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Lisa723,

I'm sorry that my last message wasn't helpful. I misunderstood your question here.

I don't know the ins and outs of ResortLock codes, but I imagine that the codes are valid only at the check-in time that they are due to stay? Is this the case?

If so, is you question more related to if a guest cancels and/or potentially another person books what happens then with the codes. 

I just want to make sure I'm understanding the situation. 

Thanks for your help with this. 

Lizzie

--------------------

@Lizzie there are two problems with sending the code the instant the booking is confirmed. The first problem is that it's not useful, as we'll have to send it again shortly before check-in because guests may not recall that they received the code and other check-in instructions potentially many months prior. The second problem is that in the case of ResortLock codes they cannot be rescinded, so if the booking is canceled or rescheduled the old code will still open the door-- that's a security issue.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Lisa723, I'll continue to follow up on this with our internal team, but I wonder as this is ResortLock integration, whether it might be helpful to contact them to see what they would suggest in cases where the booking is cancelled or rescheduled. Perhaps there is already a solution for this? 

--------------------

We jut finished about 2 weeks ago our remote lock account integration with our AirBnB account.

As soon as a guest books with us, PIN code and access instructions are sent to the customer. 

What is the reason for sending the PIN code a few months in advance and all the other details?

Per our remote lock settings a message with the PIN code and other instructions supposed to be sent 1 day prior guest arrival and also 4 hours prior arrival.

What is has been done so far to address this problem? 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Aurora248 

The Community Center isn't a formal branch of Airbnb Support, it's more a place for Hosts (and sometimes guests!) to come together and discuss all things Airbnb-related.  Community Managers aren't able to give you Customer Service or technical guidance, but we can generally point you in the right direction if one of our Hosts can't help.

Have you contacted Airbnb Support or Remote Lock for some guidance on this?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Why are you passing the buck onto another company,Remote Lock?

Airbnb made this change which impacts and our security, especially for folks who reside in a share space or have multiple units in one location. @Lisa723 Lisa is telling you two reason why its a security challenge  and you are not listening. 

This is an Airbnb issue-Please address it head on!

This is a matter of public safety.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @The-Brownstone-At-Old-City0 

Just thought I'd check in with you, as the discussion you're replying to is from 2020, and Lizzie's since moved onto another role.

The Community Center isn't a formal branch of Airbnb Support, it's more a place for Hosts (and sometimes guests!) to come together and discuss all things Airbnb-related.  Community Managers aren't able to give you Customer Service or technical guidance, but we can generally point you in the right direction if one of our Hosts can't help.

In this case I'd recommend contacting Airbnb Support directly about your concerns, and also wanted to suggest you send feedback to Airbnb by heading here.

You could also start a new topic here asking if any of our hosts have the same issue that you're having, and if they have any advice for you.

I do agree with Lizzie though, that if you haven't already, it's worth contacting Remote Lock as well to see if they have any guidance for you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Lizzie  Of course I contacted them first. That’s why I was able to report above what they have to say about it.

The codes can’t be rescinded because these locks don’t use WiFi (why I use them) so the codes are predicted algorithmically based on dates of stay.

Ennan-Or-Essam0
Level 1
Cleveland, OH

Remote lock is worse company i ever dealt with

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Lisa723 @Lizzie @Aurora248 

There are a few ways to manage messages sent to guest. 

1) On the Remote Lock webesite click on the "Integrate" and select the "Airbnb" you will find the option to send guest code and check in message that each host controls in next step.

BTW.. I no longer send guest an auto message. I was told the only option was right after booking was made, after they dropped the email option. I always used the message option anyway. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.12.23 AM.png 

Now I use a pre saved message on ABB messaging that includes the check in and check out times, guest first name, so all I have to do is copy and paste the code to the saved message. I like this approach better but did use the auto message from RL that sent check in into and door code right when guest books for over a year. 

If guest cancels the code its automatically deleted from the lock and the guest message. 

If guest chamges dates the new dates are updated and it keeps the same code. 

You can manage your auto message under "Advanced" the "Automated Email" where you choose "Template" So while it doesn't send an email with ABB, this will be the message guest get, if you select for them to receive automated message when booking. 

There is another place to enter info on the "Device" the "Access Instructions" for each lock. 

It seems confusing but the software is designed for multiple locks in each address, such as an office building, gym, or inn. 

There is also an option to schedule when messages are sent but not sure if this applies to ABB. I was told the only option was guest getting message right when they booked. 

I realize @Lisa723 is no longer hosting, but thought I would include this info. 

I'd also reccomened the Schlage Encode which uses Wifi. I tried one of the hubs with the Zigby radio technology but that is a thing of the past and didn't work. There hasn't been any new devices developed for hubs in years, as its all moving to Wifi. 

All of this changes fast but its a huge plus to have all the codes managed by RL and integrated on Airbnb. 

They stay on top of firmware updates and haven't had a single problem in two years. 

Although I'll likely be using a channel manager soon so will likely have to create guest access schedule manually, although I haven't yet used Remote Lock on other platforms. Although would still use Remote lock if half my bookings are on ABB, and other major sites.