Removal of negative reviews

Su-Ying0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Removal of negative reviews

I was notified that reviews I left were removed. I wasn't told me which reviews and customer service didn't know either. I take reviewing very seriously. I am a host and am careful about leaving accurate honest reviews. Airbnb shouldn't be removing reviews without being clear about what content was removed and why. This process needs to be transparent. 

By removing reviews Airbnb is protecting seriously troubling hosts and subjecting guests to very bad experiences all so they can continue to reap revenue. This is a problem for good hosts. I work very hard to keep my space in top shape and be accommodating to guests. Guests won't be able to trust Airbnb and this allows bad hosts to be on the same site and level with good hard working ones.

I have left negative reviews on two occasions only:

1. The toilet was broken and the host sent a friend to fix it. It broke again and the host asked me to stay around for someone to look at it. She sent her house keeper. I asked her to send a professional so it could be fixed once and for all. She sent the house keeper again who didn't know what to do. I checked-out because I couldn't spend my own time waiting for people to come look at the toilet. The host asked me to leave CASH for her for the remainder of the days that I was not going to use. At the time of my complaint I sent Airbnb videos of the repeated toilet issue. On top of this all the stove didn't work and the house keeper confirmed this and the shower was plugged up. 

2. Host left BLOODY sheets and dirty used towels. There was hair all over the floor. I sent Airbnb photos of this. Host told me I could to do the laundry and vacuum to fix the problems.
23 Replies 23

If I stayed somewhere with that toilet problem, I'd probably just look for a piece of string to reconnect the flapper to the float arm if the chain was rusted out. Or if the float arm was rusted out, so it couldn't be reattached, I'd just leave the string hanging out the top of the tank, with the tank lid off, so I could yank it when I needed to flush.

There should be a required course in high school that teaches basic life skills as far as simple fixes around the house. I stayed with a friend in Denver- all her faucets dripped constantly, a big no-no in Denver in the summer, as it's drought-prone. I mentioned her dripping faucets and she said she knew, but she'd been procrastinating because it would cost her $200 just to have a plumber walk in the door. I told her all they needed was new washers, a simple job with only a screw driver needed and I could do it for her, which I did in half an hour. They'd been dripping for a year. 

@Fred13

LOL never heard of a plumber. After her friend and house keeper came to fix it twice it was still an issue. I wasn't about to spend the entire month of my stay putting my hand in the tank to flush it. It's the hosts responsibility to make sure the property is in working order. 

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you didn't read the circumstances.  If I'm wrong then you're saying guests should just suck it up despite paying for a functioning apartment.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Sarah977 @Fred13 @Su-Ying0 

Wow....I agree with Sarah and Fred. Sarah labeled it correctly, I wouldn't host you Su-Ying.... pretty demanding, possible a searcher of detailed drama and all those reviews paint the picture of you. Like Fred I'd so love to read the 2  reviews removed....they had to be something special. Also being a super host is good but it doesn't make you or any of us something extra special....just means we were timely and got the algorithms all in our favor. Grace is needed as a host....we either show  it or we learn that we might be shy on giving it. I am not being gracious in this cause I think Su- ying will only hear when it comes in a tone she knows well. Peace

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Fred13 thanks I'm ready for my next career....cause I can fix most stuff, especially toilets. 🙂

Funny @Clara116 subconsciously I thought of you when I wrote that since I gather from your past posts you are very practical and self-reliant in nature. Wonderful way to be. 

Su-Ying0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

UPDATE: After a few weeks and several attempts an agent gave me the answer last night. 

In February I booked Airbnbs for 6 colleagues. Two of them shared the same name Carolina. Carolina A enjoyed her stay. Carolina B did not. When leaving reviews on their behalf I mixed up the Carolinas. At that time I realized my error and asked Airbnb to remove the negative review I left in error. As per my request Airbnb did remove the review in February and somehow only sent me notification by email this November. 

This post really revealed a lot about the quality of hosting here. Fear of truthful reviews and offloading house maintenance to guests. 

@Su-Ying0 Most here are very serious veteran hosts and have excellent records, and kind in nature.

Toilets however just happens to be a very touchy subject with many of us. 🙂

@Su-Ying0 

Perfect places are for ... perfect guests!
And to be a super host does not mean to be a super guest (in my experience, it is quite the reverse, super hosts think they are special and they are deceptive guests).

If i do agree about some of your reviews such as 1 roll of paper toilet for 1 week (that drives me mad), it must be match with the price.
A 30$/night rental is not a 200$ rental.
So i agree with the other people that your are a challenging guest and i would not like to host you.
I always read reviews written by a prospect.

They say more about personality and expectations than reviews written by hosts.

And your reviews look like an examinator more than a guest (let's not even talk about a friendly guest).

1/ For Lauren, Thunder Bay, Canada, reservation for a third party are forbidden by Airbnb for reviews accuracy!

You pretend to write accurate reviews and you lie in writting a review on someone who did not came.
The guest come must book with his profil.
If there is problem, Airbnb disclaims any liability because this person is unknown of Airbnb.

And possibly your insurance as well.
Keep in mind that on a legal point of view, this person has no reservation.

2/ Hosts can read the review you get and the review you give and host replies.

I did not read them all but some are delightful :

"There were cockroaches during the entire stay."

Host reply :

"when she checked out, the unit was left in total mess. There were hairs on the floor, left over food in the sink (even if there was a sign not to pour left over food in the sink to avoid clogging) and the balcony door was left open, door knob was tied to the curtain. She could have messaged me on how to open/close the balcony door. This could be the reason why she had incidents of cockroaches again. You see, Ms Ying, we try to provide the best accommodation to our guests. "

It means you are not clean and careful and this behaviour attracts bugs.

"You can not check in late at night or early morning. So if you are coming from an early or late flight keep this in mind."

Check in and check out times are written in the listing.

It means you did not read the listing properly.
It it not fair to reproach to host not when you did not read the ad.

One interesting review for a listing whose house rules are :

" Cooking is allowed for long-term stays only. Do not bring foul-smelling food items for fridge storage and microwave heating."

and you write :

"kitchen items such as a can opener, bottle and wine bottle opener, knife, cutting board, kitchen towels, larger bowls. I understand the host doesn't want guests cooking. Those items are still useful for non-"

Host reply : 

"We have indicated in our amenities description that we don't allow cooking for short stays so we only provide basic cutleries. Thus, it's common sense that we don't keep extra kitchenware in stock because of our no cooking policy but should a guest need them, we will surely provide them right away."

2 possibilities :

or you did not read the listing carefully before booking or you have a problem to respect house rules.

Never mind what really happened.
In reading your reviews and host replies, future hosts might think you are careless, dirty, you don't read the listing and you reproach it to host.

And demanding.
Is it the impression you want to leave about you?

Negative reviews while all the others are positive means that the guest is more demanding than the average Airbnb travellers.
Who want to receive demanding guests?

It is tricky to point out some problems if you are the only one.
One solution is to write it in private to help the host to write a more accurate listing when something is different.

My theory is that you rent cheap places and you expect to get the Ritz hotel and service.
Just increase your budget and rent a unit with more than one roll of paper toilet, one towel and no can opener.
In addition, you can check in/out all day and a maid will come every day. 

In my experience, low prices attract cheapsake and demanding guests. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nathalie-Et-Gilles0  Exactly what I was thinking - the OP is just cheap!  The paradox of the cheapskate guest - they seek cheap or discounted places because they're entitled and don't think they should have to pay what everyone else pays to get what everyone else gets.  That always ends well.