Removal of negative reviews

Su-Ying0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Removal of negative reviews

I was notified that reviews I left were removed. I wasn't told me which reviews and customer service didn't know either. I take reviewing very seriously. I am a host and am careful about leaving accurate honest reviews. Airbnb shouldn't be removing reviews without being clear about what content was removed and why. This process needs to be transparent. 

By removing reviews Airbnb is protecting seriously troubling hosts and subjecting guests to very bad experiences all so they can continue to reap revenue. This is a problem for good hosts. I work very hard to keep my space in top shape and be accommodating to guests. Guests won't be able to trust Airbnb and this allows bad hosts to be on the same site and level with good hard working ones.

I have left negative reviews on two occasions only:

1. The toilet was broken and the host sent a friend to fix it. It broke again and the host asked me to stay around for someone to look at it. She sent her house keeper. I asked her to send a professional so it could be fixed once and for all. She sent the house keeper again who didn't know what to do. I checked-out because I couldn't spend my own time waiting for people to come look at the toilet. The host asked me to leave CASH for her for the remainder of the days that I was not going to use. At the time of my complaint I sent Airbnb videos of the repeated toilet issue. On top of this all the stove didn't work and the house keeper confirmed this and the shower was plugged up. 

2. Host left BLOODY sheets and dirty used towels. There was hair all over the floor. I sent Airbnb photos of this. Host told me I could to do the laundry and vacuum to fix the problems.
23 Replies 23
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Airbnb rarely removes a review by a guest, I mean rarely.  You happen to have a copy of what you wrote by any chance?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

While you say you have only ever left 2 negative reviews, out of 20 reviews as a guest (with one being a repeat stay in a place you obviously liked, so really 19 reviews), I counted 5 wholly negative reviews you have left for hosts, 2 which were mainly positive, but in which you found something to complain about, and one where you left a one word review- Adequate".

While I realize that some hosts really do deserve bad reviews, and I'm a strong advocate of honesty in reviews, you seem like someone who is highly critical with overly high expectations and little adaptability. And I can see the review in question where the host asked you to leave cash- you apparently stayed there for 6 days and then expected a full refund.

Reading your reviewing history would make me decline a booking request from you, as I would be extremely wary that you would be demanding, overly critical, and difficult to please. Exactly the type of host other hosts dread hosting.

@Su-Ying0

If you're a thorough host you won't be afraid of detailed honest reviews. The less careful hosts will respond in this defensive way. 

Seems like you maybe someone who expects guests to accept a great deal of discomfort. 

Your response here is further indication of your superior attitude. There was nothing defensive in my response, but there sure is in yours.

You are most welcome to read the reviews that my guests have left for me. I can assure you my guests don't experience any discomfort. I can also assure you that the guests I get wouldn't expect a refund or be upset if they had to flush the toilet by lifting the tank flapper for a couple of days until I could get it repaired. Most seasoned travellers are pretty adaptable and don't fault their hosts for things which happen to go on the blink during their stay and which the host has no control over, as long as the host is attentive and is obviously doing their best.

@Su-Ying0

@Sarah977

I think your answer also shows your attitude. 

In one review @Su-Ying0 complained that there were cockroaches at home. It seems obvious to me that guests expect there are no such animals in the house. Hot water is also important as organization at check-in. I don't agree to consider her an overly demanding host and difficult to please. It is offensive and not real. 

However, it seems to me that she writes a lot and I don't agree with some things. For example, why criticize check-in times if they are well indicated in the ad? I understand that Airbnb may have deleted one review, @Su-Ying0

@Su-Ying0 I do not really agree completely, in this case I think you are probably wrong. But it is full of these hosts.

Hi @Sarah977   AGREED!!! 

Agreed!

@Sarah977- How were you able to search and see all the reviews which this account had left as a guest?  I would LOVE to have that ability.  There used to be some type of program which did this, but AirBNB apparently rewrote the code on the website to stop it from working, mainly out of fear it would be used in an improper way to discriminate against guests.

@Anthony608  When you look at a guest's review page, just click on a host's profile photo that left the guest a review. This takes you to the host's profile page, where you can scroll down to find the review the guest left for the host.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Su-Ying0  I've just spent far too much time reading your reviews of places you've stayed, and I couldn't agree more with @Sarah977 's assessment of your unfortunate lack of grace in reviewing your hosts. (Sorry if I'm being a tad ungracious myself here, anyone.) -IT'S AIRBNB! - Not the Mandarin Oriental!

I've read review after review of yours Su-Ying, where you seem to feel it's your job to pull hosts apart re the minutest detail. You complain about no kitchen equipment in a place that does not allow cooking. You say you could not use the pool cos you were given no special  pool towel, just the one towel in your room for a week. SMH.

You stayed at Peter's in Saskatoon. OTHER guests described Peter's as 'Amazing', 'Perfect', 'Best Airbnb we ever stayed in'- Your assessment? - 'Adequate' (!) - No further details supplied.

You sound extremely hard to please!

@Helen350 

So if one is perfect for many, must it be perfect for everyone? She also left some great reviews, evidently when she thought it was right.

Certainly with cockroaches or without hot water it is difficult to leave good comments ... I also see that in one case she left a nice review despite the hot water in the shower not working ...

@Helen350 totally Agree!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

One could only imagine the tone of the two reviews that Airbnb pulled, which I was dying to see.

The request for a  'professional' to fix the toilet gave me the clue. I am sure as I type this a million toilets through the world stopped 'working' because the drop stop isn't dropping correctly or the pull chain is binding; as a result a million men, women, children & grandparents are somehow getting them fixed without waiting for a certified 'Toilet Professional'. 

If any of you are thinking of a career move, after this Covid 19 disaster, there is an idea.