Removing an amenity?

Erica208
Level 1
Burlington, VT

Removing an amenity?

I cohost a property on a lake in New England, we have three solidly booked months ahead of us, but we’re running into a seasonal problem. 

The owner has made two kayaks available for his guests to use, with clear house rules and property listing for wearing provided PFDs, carrying not dragging the kayaks to the beach area, returning kayaks to the house when finished (not leaving kayaks on the beach, etc). What I have found is that the kayaks (reasonably high end boats) are getting a lot of excess wear and tear. They are dragged, they are left on the beach for days and guests do not wear PFDs. 

Typically,  I do not visit the property while guests are there but today I had to bring in garbage cans and drop off an extra propane tank. What I found today was upsetting. Guests were off property, PFDs were thrown all over the lawn, boats were in the water barely beached. Previous guests (I discover after the fact from our neighbors) have removed kayaks from the property, barely secured them to their vehicle and took them elsewhere to use. 

The homeowner would like like to pull the “free” kayaks from the listing and either ask guests to put an additional security deposit down or rent the kayaks separately for their stay. Note that there are several options for our guests to rent kayaks locally for approx $15/hour. 

I have mixed feelings about removing them as co-host. Firstly, I’m guessing at least some percentage of our upcoming guests picked this property because of kayaks. And secondly, The thought of moving kayaks in and out of the garage every week is exhausting, and will result in additional trips to the property to move them out of storage. All because we have a few guests ignoring house rules and not treating our property with care. 

Looking for suggestions on how to handle this specific situation. What are other hosts doing with boats and house rules? I work very hard to give guests an amazing experience and tend to be a bit of a pushover when it comes to making them happy. I do not leave negative reviews when perhaps I should - even when guests blatantly don’t follow the rules of the house. 

I am clear on the house rules when I check guests in and the important items are covered in listing details as well...I feel like compliance is about 80%. How can I close the gap and protect the owners property?

1 Reply 1
Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I would definitely pull the kayak amenity. You won’t be recompensed at all should they become totally ruined or lost and they are a huge liability should someone drown or become injured, etc. in them. There is a reason boat rental outfits have customers sign a bunch of legal documents before they can leave the shop. I HATE that I just said all that and realize I now must be an adult 🙂 it sounds like it is inevitable that they will one of these days be completely ruined anyway, then you’d still have to explain why it’s not available. 

i think there’s a fair way to handle it to all your current bookings:

Write some kind of explanatory and very nice and apologetic note that you send to all the currently booked guests who were thinking it came with 2 kayaks. “We do realize that our guests have always enjoyed this amenity and we’ve been happy to provide it, but it’s not possible to provide anymore, unfortunately. We know that you may have booked our home with the included kayaks In mind. We would like to make it up to you and make sure have access to other boat options during your stay!” give  them some kind of recompense for this sudden change in your policy — explain That it has to do with insurance or something and offer $30 off their booking or something, since it is kind of a bummer and inconvenience. explain that’s worth 2 hours of a rental. AND to be extra nice you should partner up with one of the said kayak shops nearest to you and work out a deal for your guests so you can offer that as well— that way you can tell them that you have a special relationship with XXXXXX, who also agrees to pick-up/drop-off kayaks for your guests as well.  Viola.

And for all guests who book from here on won’t see that in your listing, but as an amenity anymore, but you can mention your special deal with the local shop, etc...