Renewing Super Host status : can not reach 4.8 mark due to one bad guest

Paskal0
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

Renewing Super Host status : can not reach 4.8 mark due to one bad guest

We had a guest who played loud music that made neighbours complain. We tried to call them over given phone number, but  was "not is service". We had to talk to AIRBNB to intervene and stop the guest. Now this guest gives us 3* and our average falls below 4.8 just due to one disgruntle guest. One more new guest loved the place and want to visit again but gave 4 * as she thought it was fair enough.

I don't understand under old standards I had no problem as rule of 10 every 10th guest comes with problems. But to maintain 4.8 is very difficult, at least they should ignore disputed guest rating. 

I am no longer in Super host race as no matter what you do, guests have several profiles and you can't win against them. 

I believe guest's who break house rules and complain is already lodged against them should not be able to write reviews or Atleast their review should not be counted against Super host criteria.

Now that I lost my title I feel free as I do not bother much what my guest has to say so far I do my best. 

4 Replies 4
Jasmine103
Level 2
Boone, NC

Try calling the airbnb helpline and explaining what happened.    My experience with them has been good.   

Mine has NOT been good even when I tried to get them involved as soon as a knew there was a problem, they still let a guest review me who had broken house rules or criticized the visit based on their own lack of reading the instructions. It is very difficult to maintain a 4.8 rating if one out of ten guests is a stinker. Often they are people who have never used Airbnb before or they are misrepresenting who they are. We can only respond and/or report but we can't ask Airbnb to remove the outlyers from our reviews even when they break house rules. Or, Airbnb asks me for "evidence" to show that a rule was broken. What am I supposed to do put surveylance cameras all over my house? I use Airbnb all over the world as a guest and I always give a 5 star unless something was really bad, like a very uncomfortable mattress that was probably something someone had left on the street for pick-up. I also review based on what I'm paying and try to be fair. If Airbnb wants us to maintain such a high rating then they should be willing to review outlyer reviews that just don't make sense. 

Get in contact on facebook or Twitter, this retaliatory review is happening quite a bit, it happened to me, one bad review due to a really bad apple, I had it removed finally after a bit of toing and froing. We should not be penalised for keeping our homes and neighbours safe and happy.

Eliana93
Level 1
Taastrup, Denmark

e Dear Pascal,

I am sorry to hear that, but I am also dissatisfied with the "criteria", considering the majority of guests (especially those that complaint) that complain have their own personal issues, and have done something to contribute to their own "personal dissatisfaction". Yet, as I am polite, and do not wish to damage my guest's reputation, making negative comments about them, I am always surprised when they leave comments which they know may damage the host's reputation, out of personal reasons. Which can be very diverse. One of our guests used our new towels to "clean the floor", when she could have asked us to do it or to call our attention at the moment she saw the need for it. She used completely new towels to dry the bathroom and threw them away in the garbage and later she wanted us to refund also, extra things that she bought, totally unnecessary, including a refund for her own towels that she took from home. Moreover, she didn't show up on the day she was supposed to arrive and only communicated that because I insisted to contact her. In that case, the host had the right to rent the place to another guest, but I simply gave her a chance and she abused of it. Another one didn't respond at all to our request for an update on her trip until a few hours before her arrival, indicating she was not planning to come at all. I insisted on contacting her out of consideration and worries. She showed up with her girlfriend without previously booking. In the end, she simply wanted the money back with a bunch of allegations which she didn't complain in person when our co-hosts were there to listen to anything she had to say. It was only later on that we heard from Airbnb she had complained. The biggest issue is that I am always very nice and polite to all guests and make my comments before they write their own reviews. Airbnb only allows us to see their reviews after and so, we have no opportunity to rebate their claims. For that matter, I have lost income for the whole month of July not only for that apartment but also for another apartment which had nothing to do with that guest!!!

I and my family we use Airbnb as a guest too in many countries. Yet, I am pretty much aware that the apartments I rent aren't a hotel with all the facilities demanding guests expect. However, I appreciate the hosts, I see each property according to the local standards. Airbnb wants a universal standard which is imposed on the host, but apparently, not to their guests.

We want to be part of the Airbnb host's community but I do hope, there will be set a limit of what the guest and the host can complain about. Here, I'm talking about the rights to privacy, the rights included on laws of settlements, which prevent the guest to complain about things that have been already solved or for which they have got compensation for. What is the use for the host to refund money to guests when they do not forgive, and when they think they have the deliberate right to damage someone's reputation even after the host has done everything they asked for???