Renting more than 30 days.

Steve3
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Renting more than 30 days.

I have a renter wanting to rent for 90 days. Airbnb seems to only take 30 days at a time. How do you make this work? I tried the reservation change from 30 to 90 days but it stated it had to be ok'd? I asked the renter to let me know if they recieved anything from AIRBNB but so far neither of us have recieved a change email.?

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Steve3,

Airbnb will accept a 90 day booking but it falls under their long term cancellation policy.  The renter would be charged the first month rent and then Airbnb would take the payments out monthly.

I think you may have 30 days set as your maximum stay under your "Availability Settings" as I took a look at your listing and it indicated that you are set at a maximum of 30 days.  Check that out as that is probably not letting you make the changes.

max stay.png

Here are two articles worth looking at:

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/245/how-do-i-pay-for-my-long-term-reservation

https://www.airbnb.ca/home/cancellation_policies?_ga=1.210317653.1931244847.1444070945&locale=en#lon...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

If I had a specialty, it would be long term bookings.

Long term bookings are less income per day. However I appreciate the stability and steady income. I don't have to rip a room apart daily. I have detailed descriptions and ask the questions that are important to me. I believe that people present themselves for what they are, and if I don't think it will fit, I err on the side of turning them down. 

A lot.

If things look good, I get to know guests and their quirks and requirements. I like to surprise them with things that I didn't promise. And if it doesn't go so well - hey! it's only one booking, and less likely to wreak havoc on my service numbers. 

I rent rooms in my house, and I live here.  I share a kitchen and a bath. If that sounds creepy, it's not for you. I'm an extravert, and like the company.

As a landlord in my previous life, I am very familiar with the laws in my province, and if need be, eviction proceedings.  As such, I am careful to position myself as an innkeeper, not a landlord. 

If I rented a unit with an unshared kitchen and bath, the laws might be construed as different, and governed by an Act intended to protect the tenant (and the landlord, to some degree). Don't forget that this "tenant" is also bound by obligations under the Act, too. This may be more than either party bargained for.

If you are unsure, it's worth investing a few dollars with a reputable real estate lawyer, and inserting the defining conditions into your rules. 

Cheers!

Hi All,

I can see the conversation.  We are very interested in booking for 2 months.  Please let me know if settins can be changed.

Sabrina

Deirdre46
Level 1
Santa Monica, CA

do I need a registration number for airbnb if i do 31 days or more only

@Steve3 Many hosts have their booking limit set to 30 days to prevent unscrupulous renters from trying to take advantage of so-called "squatter's rights." Awhile ago I read an article outlining an infamous case of two guys doing this very thing in your state, I believe it was. 

That may explain why you are having trouble finding places to rent for more than 30 days.