Renting my whole place, charging a lower fee when only one bedroom is used

Victoria576
Level 3
Western Australia, Australia

Renting my whole place, charging a lower fee when only one bedroom is used

I wasn't quite sure how to title this discussion, but in my area I've noticed lots of AirBnB advertise, for example, 2 bedrooms, 4 guests, but their base charge is for just 2 guests and then if additional guests, of the same booking party book then the price goes up. Is this the norm? I am currently renting out my 1 bedroom, self contained apartment however am considering moving in there myself and renting out my whole, main house. But I really don't think it's worth it if I only get a low base booking fee. Who's to say that the guests don't just book for 2 and then bring 4? Am I better off making the base charge higher and just sticking with it? It just seems really strange because everyone in my area seems to have the low base and then on-charge with extra guests. Thanks for any advice provided. 

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is really a matter of how you preferred to market to the desired guests.  If you want to be seen by guests looking for cheaper nightly rate, then you have a rate based on one or two guests then add per guest over that amount.  If you want to appeal the larger group party, then base the nightly rate based on 4 guests and the use of both bedrooms.  

Hosts should take into account how a guest searches and selects a listing .  Usually there is some comparision between total potential costs including the number of guests, tax,  cleaning, etc.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I charge by guest. Couples or solo travelers may overlook my 2 bedroom house if I charge the higher rate or the fact that it's a 2 bedroom. Charging by guest, allows me to open up my bookings to different size groups. It usually works out as singles and couples usually use less resources and make less of a mess.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I charge a base rate for two guests and $10 per extra guest. It's a basement apartment with two bedrooms. 

People bring extra guests all of the time without paying for them. I've seen that this trend is usually only people that book my unit that live in my state. Tourists are typically more honest.

Marg11
Level 10
Warwick, Australia

We charge a base rate of $50 AU per night for our one-bedroom with ensuite separate flat for two with an extra $7 per person for 2 more as the lounge has a sofa bed. Minimum 2 nights and maximum 30 nights. Free parking, BBQ, outdoor table and chairs, quiet garden setting, TV, Wifi & desk, small kitchen with mini-oven, induction cooktop, fridge/freezer, pantry with basics and makings of self-service breakfast.  No under 2s, no animals, no smoking inside, no parties and guests are required to strip the beds before leaving plus the usual housekeeping rules. Plenty of bookings, a few regulars and few problems.

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Victoria576 

I would strongly suggest a motion sensors recording device, I use the Arlo Pro.  Having a camera at all entrances is the only way to know whether they have more than the # of people they booked for.

How are you finding the bookings in Australia?  Is COVID 19 impacting your bookings?

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Victoria576  it does depend on if you would rather book more or make more per booking.  There are ways to straddle the two, the way you mentioned is most popular (Base for two, add more $ per extra person) .  It does come with a certain amount of policing, guests will  sometimes for =get to understand what they actually paid for.  Good luck, JR       

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

For our 2 bed, 2 bath apartment we charge a base rate for two people, and then an additional $10-5USD each for guests 3, 4 and 5.  We also lock off the secondary bedroom and bathroom, and list the apartment as a 1 bed, 1 bath for a maximum of 2 people.  

Adrian2071
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

@Victoria576 I charge the same as a hotel would.  Base rate includes 2 guests. Anything more is extra.  Justified by more amenities used, more hot water, more mess, more electricity, more sheets, more laundry, and fair market value.  4 to 8 people seeking a hotel room have to pay per guest over 2, additional rooms, beds and bedding.  The cost is split over a larger group, they can afford to pay a fair and cheap additional cost of $10-15 per person per night over 2.  State in your messages to ask how many guest will be "using or present in the suite".  State no guests visitors except those that book, within reason of course.  And elude to being "around" so they dont think the whole thing is unsupervised.  You live in the building? Greet them for check in?  Etc.  "Identification may be requested for guests staying in the suite upon check in."  Lots of ways to do it.  Most are honest if asked directly in messages. If discovery that they were dishonest, confront them with a message or knock on the door.  Insist that booking needs to be changed and additional costs paid. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

We can fit four, but we charge an extra per person fee over two. We split our cleaning fee between the nightly price and the cleaning fee. We try to keep the cleaning fee low because if we don't charge one guests make a huge mess, and if we do charge the whole thing as a cleaning fee, guests complain "I paid $100 cleaning fee and found a dead bug behind the washing machine. Fee is way too high." 

Because we like to keep our cleaning fee low on the front of things, anything that will cause my cleaners more time and hassle (making two beds and laundering sheets and towels for 4 people) has an extra fee attached. We have had other hosts tell us we should set our capacity to 6 as we have two bathrooms. No thank you. The less wear and tear we have the better. Guests are often not particularly honest about the number of people who are actually staying either, so we no longer advertise a sofa or air mattress on our listing. We prefer singles and couples to groups. 

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I would charge the same amount UNLESS you are able to externally lock the doors so the appropriate amount of guests can be accounted for. The only other way you can be mostly successful with this is to meet all people checking in.