Renting to 17 and 18 year olds

Answered!

Renting to 17 and 18 year olds

Hi!

I just received an inquiry from someone wanting to rent my cottage. She and her friends, six total, are 17 and 18.

I am new to Airbnb and was wondering what other hosts do in this situation.

Do you just decline because they are not all adults?

Do you accept reservations from 17 and 18 year old?

My house rules specify no parties and she said their itinerary includes white water rafting, paintball, and fishing.

Thoughts?

thanks! 

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You have to be 18 to book on AirBnB.

David
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Perhaps it would be best if you approach this by thinking back to that point in time when you were 17... and your friends were all 17 or 18... and you'd go away for a nice quiet weekend of White Water Rafting... and Paintball... and Fishing... and Beer... and Wine... and perhaps a bit of Whiskey, or Tequilla, or Rum, or Vodka...  And Paintball.   Boy that sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it?  

Now that you've placed yourself in that position, and you're honest with yourself, would YOU want to be the person who has to clean up the mess and deal with the neighbors after you've gone?

There is a button you can press...  It's called the "Decline" Button.  There are a few boxes that pop up when you press it, asking you why you've pressed that button.  And there is a box you can check that reads "I'm uncomfortable with this reservation"  I'd check that box and move on. 

I don’t agree: now a days not all 18 year old teens are irresponsible to the point where they wouldn’t clean up the mess they made knowing it’s not their own home.

If I were in your shoes, I would not rent to 17~18 yo kids coming with no adult supervision. 6 kids coming to a cottage to go  white water rafting, paintball, and fishing. Not a problem. But then after they come back to the cabin at night, they will probably have a couple drinks. 🙂  Someone probably brought a couple bottles of wine that their parents bought from their home pantry. Also, some of the girls might meet a couple guys during the day and invite them over. Just having a couple friends over for drinks is not a real "party", right?

While most people will be mindful of your houserules, I think as a host, we always need to assume that guests will try to bend the rules to suit their needs - especially if the host is not on site or sharing the space. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Jonathan1169
Level 4
Monroe Township, NJ

I think that people need to realize that not every 18 year old is going to do something stupid yes in most situations there might be some drinking but first of all if your 18 you can’t buy Alchohol and if you are over 21 then you can bring Alchohol wherever and whenever. You people really need to stop thinking negative about people 18 years of age is called becoming a adult and what do you people have to worry about if something were to possibly happy they would have to pay and then you would have a reason not to rent. I bet none of you have even give ADULTS the chance to have fun 

@Jonathan1169 come on now. If I wanted booze at 18 I could easily get it. Legal drinking age is not the most difficult law to flout.

It has nothing to do with not allowing fun..it has to do with protecting your investment. A group of kids alone in my weekend house that I love dearly and have carefully restored and decorated? Uh no. I don't live on site and the location is somewhat remote.  Six people who are not even old enough to have fully developed brains or impulse control? No thanks. I have a hard enough time with adults who should know how to behave. Why open yourself to this risk? It doesn't make sense to me.  If other hosts are willing to take that on, I applaud their moxie.

And that that that is why we don't rent to minors.

Entitled much

Case closed LOL

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laura-Is-Aids0 

The community centre moderators are probably going to remove this post of yours.

I understand you have strong feelings about this but you can't personally vilify other contributors here on this forum.

You are entitled to a view, certainly,  just the same as the rest of us are and we have to right to express our opinions without being personally cut down for them!

@Laura2592  was simply echoing what statistically happens in short term rentals with younger guests. As careful and thoughtful as you might be, the other 8 out of 10 in your age bracket want to have a get together, a celebration of sorts which often ends up with the poor host having to deal with a substantial damage bill which neither Airbnb or the guest will have anything to do with. We get hung out to dry!

Airbnb are now banning local Canadian guests under 25 years of age from booking any short term rental in that country.

It is unfortunate for some 18 year olds that the rest have put you in this situation. It's not Airbnb's fault or the hosts.

And it's not just Airbnb, as an 18 year old try getting comprehensive auto insurance cover! The average premium for a 40 year old driver in the US is $1,682.00. The premium for an 18 year old is $5,565.00.......$3,900.00 higher. This is the case because statistically 18 year olds are 3 times more likely to have an accident and that risk has to covered, so you all end up paying. It's not discrimination, it is simply covering a risk.

@Laura-Is-Aids0 please accept we are not trying to pick on you, I know a number of 18 year olds that I regard as far more responsible than many adults, but that's not the point, as a group you have a track record and we hosts need to cover ourselves for that record.

All the best.

Cheers........Rob

@Jonathan1169  

"I bet none of you have even give ADULTS the chance to have fun."

You'd lose that bet.

And the attitude you put forward here is exactly why hosts don't want to host 18 year olds. I know a lot of wonderful young people, but I don't expect them to act anything other than what they are- young. Which, unfortunately, usually means not taking good care of other people's stuff, not understanding what cleaning up after yourself entails, and not being responsible for one's actions. That's all quite normal, but doesn't make one a good candidate for renting someone's home. That's what youth hostels are for.

Your statement is unfair towards young adults not all of us are irresponsible we may not be as responsible as you but we are still sane and responsible enough to have the common sense of burning down a house, we’re young adults not crackheads 

You are an AirBnb Host not a Chaperone.  If their parents feel that they are responsible enough to send them across the state or the country then who am I to tell them no drinking. If 17 yr olds drink thats between them and their parents and the person who bought them their booze it ha nothing to do with you as a host. If they have sex and get pregnant are you responsible for that "NO". You're a host thats all.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Regina98 This is a case where I would have to decline. Too much liability-- underage drinking possible with the attendant injuries, not old enough for everyone to legally use the platform, etc. This sounds like one Facebook post away from your house turning into the "come on over for a party!" location. No thanks. 

Just say "thanks so much for inquiring but unfortunately I am unable to host you on those dates. Best of luck finding a great place to stay!"

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

That's paintball INSIDE your house when they have the party.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I'd host them.  Whether they're 17, 18 or 21, the risks are the same.  Given they're a bunch of girls, they're more likely to be doing MDMA than drinking in any case, so I'm sure your place will be fine.  Also, given their interest in rafting, fishing and paintball, they sound like the wholesome outdoorsy types so not only will they most likely eschew any mind-altering substances altogether, they aren't going to be trashing your towels with makeup and fake tan.