Renting to 17 and 18 year olds

Answered!

Renting to 17 and 18 year olds

Hi!

I just received an inquiry from someone wanting to rent my cottage. She and her friends, six total, are 17 and 18.

I am new to Airbnb and was wondering what other hosts do in this situation.

Do you just decline because they are not all adults?

Do you accept reservations from 17 and 18 year old?

My house rules specify no parties and she said their itinerary includes white water rafting, paintball, and fishing.

Thoughts?

thanks! 

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

I wish I could be as non cynical as you are but I'm tempted to agree with the others on here. The issue to me would be the 17 year olds (& their inability to book according to T &Cs) although obviously we all have guests with 17 year olds occasionally. When I was younger (pre Airbnb) we always booked stag weekends away at hotels  as a golfing society. Never caused any damage but the principle is the same I think.

Hey I was thinking the same, but now I received a message from a group of 17-18 year old, the name of the 18 year old (oldest of the group) is called Jonnie Walker. Oh man.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Ive had some amazing 17 & 18 yr olds... just make sure that you go over the rules.

*completely unbias here*
knowing airbnb’s policy, i dont think its the best idea under this circumstance. A group of teens wanting a place to vacation at isnt necessarily a bad thing. Not all teens are messy, not all teens drink, and not all teens are irresponsible. But, i think u insinuated something about partying, and even if they arent messy, and even if it was a calm party: take this for instance; ive only ever been to one high school party in the rly small town i grew up in. And out of nowhere a bunch of college kids showed up no one knew how they found out abt the party but there were like a hundred of them and they crowded the whole house made a huge mess. So yea maybe avoid parties even in general, seeing as those were adults crashing it. But, if im wrong about the party thing, or either way, in the scenerio that: a responsible seeming 17 yr old just needs a rental, then i would. Bc ive known what its like to be a minor in a rly bad almost inescapable situation, where i shouldve been able to escape and be on my own. I couldve, i was responsible enough, even had the money, but there was no available methods. Cuz these laws and this stupid system makes no sense and is honestly a burden alot of the time. So honestly, if someone 17 is capable of fending for themselves, and u have the option to give them the green light to finally be free and start there life, you rly, rly should.

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I hosted another group of 18 yr olds that came to LA from Fresno. They were amazing and very thoughtful guests.

Over the years I've hosted grups of 8-14 guests between 18-28, inlcuding hen and stag partys for a week. No really damage, maybe a broken plate or cup, also usally an extra 20-30 mins of extra cleaning.

Angelica-Y-Jorge0
Level 10
Mazatlán, Mexico

If someone can legally book on Airbnb they should not be declined because of their age. We have had 30-year-olds with children do more damage than any younger person who has ever rented with us. I think it is extremely discriminatory to decline someone because of their age. If it is their first time staying in an Airbnb I would meet them upon arrival (like I would anyone of any age who is staying for the first time). I would go over house rules, guest limits and cleaning expectations with them.

Jorge
Angi646
Level 3
Wokingham, United Kingdom

Well, I have just accepted a booking for three 17 year old girls who will be attending the Reading Music Festival here in the UK. The booking was made by one of the parents. I was kind of hesitant to accept the booking but was reassured by the parent booking it. I do think it's a risk but they were so excited about the possibility of staying it was infectious. So I am taking the attitude that not all young people our irresponsible and hope I can report back a positive experience!!

@Angi646 extremely risky, yeah. Airbnb doesn't allow third party bookings, or hosting guests under the age of 18. Hopefully it works out for you. 

As a 18 year old I’m wanting to book an Airbnb for me and my cousins we understand the rules and we are respectable I understand that older adults think that we don’t have a much responsibility as much as them but not all young adults are the same. me and my cousins just want to get away from our farm life and living in a small town is exhausting sometimes because everyone is asking for favours, not to mention it’s hard for us to find a job. It’s hard and in all honesty boring we want to explore the city and go on night drives to the beach. I don’t want to sound rude at all and i mean no offence but you all have to realise that some of us young adults work our asses off to be able to go out and have the privilege to stay in someone else’s beautiful home. So please at least be a little considerate not all of us want to ruin your investments I’ve gone over the house a thousand times and I even made notes so please at least give us a chance 

Angi646
Level 3
Wokingham, United Kingdom

Well, I know it's a bit late in the day but I can report back about our three young ladies that stayed for the Reading Music Festival. They were brilliant! They were friendly, courteous, respectful and really looked after our studio. Wouldn't hesitate to have them back this year 🙂

Glad there are hosts like you!!!!

totally agree

Iris597
Level 2
Willoughby, OH

Everyone is different.... I had a group of younger girls coming in for a concert and I ran into them when I was cleaning other rooms in the house. We talked about their time in the city, and they were so polite and nice and left all spotless. I am from Europe, and we start traveling by our self's when we 16 and it is no problem.  I also think 21-25 years is maybe more to worry. If someone is trouble with 17, they are still trouble with 22.  I have a 17-year-old daughter which is helping me sometimes with my Airbnb and she and her friends know well that they always need to proof to adults that they know what they are doing, and they are not crazy what becomes more and more an issue. Those kids working jobs and working hard to pay for a weekend away from home to learn to be independent. I had no bad luck with young people yet but older ones with small children (chocolate all over the walls that I had to paint or some they had a fight with their wife and broke a TV and blinds) .... It is always a risk- no matter who you host

It may help to tell those groups that you will come over and check on them to make sure all is well. If they plan to be crazy, they will not book then😊 That is just me who knows both sides

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines