Repeat inquiries for unavailable dates

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Repeat inquiries for unavailable dates

Anyone get this? 

Guest- "Hi-- looking at your space and love it. Wondering if you have availability  for a weekend in (September.) I see that the calendar is blocked. Any wiggle room?"

Me- "Thanks for checking us out! Our calendar is up to date on availability. We do have some openings in (November) if that works for you. We look forward to hosting you."

A few weeks go by...

Guest - "Just checking to see if you had any (September) weekend openings. I had contacted you before. Let me know!"

Me- "Nice to hear from you. Our calendar is still accurate. We haven't had any new weekened openings. We typically book up quickly this time of year and with COVID cleaning protocols have even less availability due to the waiting time between guests. I would encourage you to book our openings in (December) as those are the first available if you are planning a visit. We look forward to hosting you!"

A few more weeks go by... now almost at the end of the month they are asking about. 

Guest- "Hi, still looking for an open weekend in (September.) Any cancellations? We would really love to come."

Me- "Thanks for checking back. Our calendar is still accurate. As the month is almost over, its unlikely we will have an opening. Is (December) possible for your visit? That is our earliest availability. We also have weekend dates in 2021 that are open. We do fill up fast, and will likely be raising our rates in the new year due to increased operational costs.  if you are interested in a visit, it might be best to grab some future dates now. Have a great day!"

I *think* this type of communication means I should either  1) kick out guests who booked or 2) send a deep discount to the inquiring individual as their preferred weekend is not available.  But I am not offering either option.  Is that how you read this, fellow hosts?

5 Replies 5
Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I'm not a host but it reads to me as someone who doesn't respect boundaries. You couldn't have communicated any more clearly: "No" and "Calendar is up to date." I can understand asking the first time, but any more than that, when you've been so clear, is ridiculous. I can imagine if they ever stayed that they'd want all sorts of special favors, even if you had a giant sign hanging over the bed that said what isn't available, they'd still ask for some wiggle room. 

@Laura2592  It reads to me like 'dimwits at large'.

@Heidi588 " I can imagine if they ever stayed that they'd want all sorts of special favors". You are so right! @Laura2592  Honestly, I'd ignore these people after responding to the first inquiry. These are not guests you would ever want to host anyway. 

These guests would have been perfect to lay an @Ute42 style NO! on.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592  The second time they asked, I'd have replied "What part of 'We always keep our calendar up to date' do you not understand? If the dates show as unavailable, that means they're unavailable. This week, next week, next month, always."

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The first time is logical, the 2nd inquiry is double checking maybe because they were hell-bend on staying at your place; the 3rd time I would have just simply said - 'Nothing has changed'. They sound a bit thick-headed but it only takes a nano-second to type that much. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Laura2592  Although I didn't read anything but selfishness and disrespect in their inquiries, I laughed at option 1!  After the third time, I don't think you wanted them to come at any time, so I think it was good you told them you fill up fast and that they should grab dates, because they're the kind of people who think they shouldn't have to do that.