Replying to Reviews

Replying to Reviews

Hi all.  After about 2 months of hosting I still consider myself fairly new to all of this.  I've looked at other profiles and have read reviews made by others where the host has had the opportunity to reply to a review.  How can I reply to a review that has posted to my profile.  I've had 2 guests now that have made statements in their reviews that are not accurate and I would like the chance to reply so that future viewers are not dissuaded from renting based on their false statements.  How can this be addressed?

7 Replies 7

Hi Sarah - Airbnb give a host 14 days to post a public response to a review. After 14 days you can;t respond. Here's a link with info on how reviews work. https://www.airbnb.com/users/reviews

If you need help, sometimes you can find the answers in the "Help" section on the Airbnb website. It's the far right icon.

Hope this helps,

Stan

Leonie3
Level 7
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Sarah, when Airbnb notifies you that a guest gave you a review, go to your dashboard, find the review and on the right hand side it gives you the option to respond to review.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Sara - a suggestion having read the reviews for your property. I have a feeling that there is a slight mismatch in peoples' expectations and your description and photos. Clearly people love the location and atmosphere and they really like you too. However reading between the lines people are saying it is quite basic. That's absolutely fine, but I would rewrite your description to match the experience - I would also get more indoor photos. 

Not suggesting you need to make your place more luxurious, but personally it does feel and look very empty and spartan. 

As for responding to reviews....think very carefull about what you will say so that you 'recognise' their comment, but you are not being defensive. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Sara233 Your place looks very much like a lovely, large, rustic cabin - I think maybe calling it Majestic Mountain Manor is giving people the wrong expectation right off the bat? A manor to me is an upscale British house on a large property in Kent or somewhere, with posh antique furniture, poster beds etc. I'd likely want to call your place a cabin, and a very nice one - and I would work in the word "rustic" so people don't go in expecting a brand new modern or recently fully renovated house. You say it has 2 bedrooms but they are both open lofts, which you do clearly explain in your description but I've found a lot of people don't bother reading the description. It's extremely frustrating! They do look at photos, so lots of clear photos of the loft areas and the rest of the interior will go a long way to clearing up any misunderstanding as to what guests can expect. 

Your reviews are good and people like your place and you, they are pointing out the things that need to be further explained somewhere in your description or with photos, so misunderstandings can be avoided. No need to change anything, just really try to make sure the description and photos accurately describe it, so no surprises. You might consider adding microwavable dishes if the one guest review has it right and there are none?

Best of luck with your listing! Karen

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Hi Sara, I agree with much of what the other posters have said. There seems to be a bit of disconnect between what you're offering and what people are expecting. I had that problem with a trundle bed I have in one bedroom. Guests complained about it--mostly to me in the private comments, luckily--but I realized that there wasn't much to indicate that it was there (instead of two single beds). So I took a photo AND more importantly, I wrote a caption underneath to explain it to guests in advance. Then I did that with all the photos--wrote informative captions. Potential guests don't read, but they do look at photos, so if there's an issue around an open as opposed to closed bedroom, put that in a photo and explain it. People get snarky when they feel they've been deceived, even if the "deception" was totally inadvertent. So matching up the photos, the captions, and your wording will probably go a long toward solving the problem. 

I would also take @Gerry-And-Rashid0 's advice and maybe add a few decor pieces. I know there are a lot of places to buy rustic looking decor items in Vermont because I'm in Montreal (and I love Vermont!). It might be worth it to bump up your guests' perception of your place, which does look like a lovely but slightly blank canvas right now. 

I put all sorts of dollar store items in my condo for example and guests often comment on how well-stocked my place is. Since it all comes from the dollar store, I don't spend tons. But then I've discovered it's not necessary to spend big to get good feedback.

PS--you could address the reviews by stating that you're new at Airbnb and are working to write an accurate listing. Then thank the guests for their feedback. It sucks to do that--I know--but then you come across looking like a concerned host and honest host. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sara233.....Hi Sara, Welcome to hosting, you will have some great experiences and some not so good, but you are in the learning stage and what the other posts have said here is excellent advice!

You can respond to a guests review...if you notice mine I respond after every guest has left a review and @Leonie3 told you what to do to leave a response!

To the reason you have posted your comment, I also agree with everything the others have said! If you can't make the place more inviting (and please Sara, I am not trying to be rude) and by that I mean a few more books, occasional tables, photos or pictures, memorabilia...things that give a space 'warmth', then perhaps you should alter your listing to read as more of a 'cabin' style experience.

Your sleeping area does not look particularly inviting....

Compare one part of your bed area........

CAM02306 (542x640).jpg

With the sleeping area of my listing...

DSCN2070b.jpg

They are sort of like chalk and cheese! If you are advertising it as a 'Manor' Sara, it needs to more accurately reflect that.

There is one phrase that, if you take notice of it, will make your hosting an absolute breeze...."The less a guest expects the more they will be delighted with what they get"

Once again Sara, I am not trying to belittle what you are doing, I just want to help you be your best!

Cheers.....Rob

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hey @Sara233

It is good that you are responding to your guests, but unfortunately some of your responses are to private comments guests have left for you, which aren't part of your public reviews - so you are actually raising negative issues that potential guests looking at your listing,  didn't need to be aware of 🙂

I do agree with others  - you could introduce some low cost furnishings and decorations to make it feel more homely and curtains are a must. I would also consider getting doors on the bedrooms.

It will put a lot of people who aren't families off having to sleep in such open plan living space.

Photos, pictures, plants, rugs. and home decorations will all give it a more homely appearance