Reporting Abuse of the AirBnB terms of Agreement

Martin29
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Reporting Abuse of the AirBnB terms of Agreement

Hey folks,

I was looking for a way to contact Airbnb but I can't find one. I've been hosting fo a little under a year and I hae had a wonderful epereince up until a couple of days ago. I've had guests be messy ro break things but I never expereince what I just went through. I had a horrible set of guests that 1. had more people stay than agreed upon (by at east two that I kknow of), and 2. wrecked my home.

I, of couse, filled a claim and will be giving them a bad review but my concern extends beyond this as the broke our agreement and I don't want anyone else going through what I had to. Does anyone know if there is anyone I can talk to in order to report abuse of the terms of the airbnb agreement and make sure they don't do this to anyone else? 

Thanks ian advance for your help,
Martin.

15 Replies 15
Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Martin29 - if you are on Twitter you can search for airbnb and follow the @airbnbhelp account and send them a direct message state you have a problem you need to report - they will respond. Or call them direct.

Sorry to hear you have had bad guests. 😞

I have had a terrible problem with a host and was charged fees for it but when I tried to tell my side of the story to airbnb and called twice (always told I had to speak to the case manager) and wrote to the case manager my email became blocked.   There is no other way to contac them.  However, as a host you should be able to get through on the phone or write response@airbnb.com.   

I am sure you will see my post about a violent dispute in my house and the way airbnb dealt with it. Alarming. They are digging their own grave. Just a couple of bad accidents, some negative press and they  will deeply regret it

Geoff19
Level 1
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Airbnb do not take abuse seriously

I absolutely agree.   My host got airbnb.com to cancel my reservation without my permission thus incurring her "strict cancellation policy" and they did not talk to me and blcoked by email    Before tht she had abused and insulted me and tod me to take my business elsewhere.  When investigating we found that she did not have permission of the landlord to rent the house but when I tried to teport it I was blocked.    They don't want to know.

@Sharon

Hi Sharon

Did you initial ask her, did she have the permission of the landlord to sublet? and that brought on her ire!

I’m curios as I’m both a landlord and an Airbnb host.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

I didn't ask her but became suspicious when she gave one address and then the other.  When I discovered one address did not exist and google mapped the other and drove by I questioned her about condition of the property.  She called an violently ranted at me (unfortunately I had given her my phone number).   She then continued to accuse me of harrassment on airbnb and I requested "host to cancel".  She refused and built a case saying I was harassing her and then called them and they cancelled my booking.   Ironically I had just expected her to say that the inside of the house was in good shape but instead she went after me so violently that I didn't know what to do.  I tried to report it but before I could find out why she called airbnb and talked to a case manager named Jarrod and must have told him quite a story as he cancelled it as "guest" thereby insurring she got half of hte fees.  I'm out almost 700 dollars.   

So I asked a frind to investigate.  He knew the landlords and called the management company.  They did not know that she was renting as airbnb. .  I am afraid that she will take reprisals against me as she lives very near my home.   That's why I don't name her. 

@Sharon216

Assuming you paid with a CC first thing would be to dispute the charge with the CC issuer.

David

thank you so much.    I have done.  I guess I am just afraid that they will block me from other bookings that I have made for family vacation plans in August in UK if I put a hold on this payment.

Fiona172
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

No they don't. It's like to story about properties be used as brothels

They will bring themselves down soon. Just a couple of bad accidents and it will all come out.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Martin29

Name and Shame

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

@Martin29  As regards to damaging property and dishonesty in letting extra people stay (same as theft), I would contact media. That seems be the only thing that makes Airbnb act...bad publicity.

Fiona172
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have just had an alarming  experience with airbnb. I can confirm that they do not want to know about  abusive guests - even violent ones. 

I had Thomas Hauffmann https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/show/15893666

as a guest at my house. As an experienced host he obviously knows how to 'milk the system' 

If you check the reviews of the places he rents they vary between suspiciously  over- flattering reviews to reviews which refer, to filth, broken furniture, cancellations taking places as guests arrived outside in front of the flat. Well I had the pleasure of hosting him and this is what happened. Firstly he posed a few  questions, explaining they were  coming as a couple,  then booked. I only noticed that he had booked as a single person at the last moment.  I decided it was  too late to argue about it.  The day after he arrived he messaged me saying how wonderful the house was and how much they loved it. ( I was not there, the caretaker was)

He then had a violent dispute with his partner, who threw all his possessions including a new Mac Air Book into our swimming pool. Two days after the end of his stay,   he returned and the caretaker had to help him retrieve them. I alerted airbnb to the incident as I don't think people should host this character.  Thomas Hauffmann then wrote a very  nasty review.  As a result, Airbnb  paused our listing so that I could neither give my  review of Hauffman or even  reply to his. Airbnb pretended to sound sympathetic, but refused to do anything about it. I wanted to cancel the bookings to my property as I do not want any more experiences of this kind. They have not allowed me to do so, because they paused the listing.  Extremely worrying and surely illegal.  I am reporting the incident to the French police.

Fiona172
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Everybody

I would like to know how the review system works

It seems very few people are telling the truth

People seem to try to paper over the truth because they are worried that somebody will say something negative about them in retaliation. 

Look at the reviews of  Thomas Hauffmann https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/show/15893666 and you will see that while some people say very flatte...

Can they really be talking about the same place(s) and the same person?

This man is a pro - as you can see- He rented my place booking for one (though they were two) so he paid half price. Remarked - online and wonderful it was. He had a violent dispute with his partner. I decided not to review him. Just want to never see or hear from him again. In anticipation I guess that I would leave a bad review, he left a terrible review but left me no time to send my review!! As a result of the review Airbnb paused my listing so I could not DO ANYTHING. I could not even reply to his review. I have lost all faith in the reviews I read now, what kind of people you may end up hosting. It's quite frightening actually.