Request when dates were blocked

Request when dates were blocked

I just recieved a request for dates that I had blocked out on my calendar for a special event. Anyone know how that happened, or what I need to do to make sure it doesn't happen again? 
Thanks!

20 Replies 20
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Valerie-And-Darren0 I just looked at your entire home listing (#2) and, wow, except for a few days in May, your calendar is entirely blocked!  Are you sure you got a reservation request or an inquiry?   Guests can make inquiries for any dates, but reservation requests should not even reach you if you have those dates blocked. 

Hey, Clare!

Yes, I'm sure I got a reservation request, and I agree that it should not have reached me since those dates were blocked. It was for the first listing "Harmony House". It is the same property, with a special listing (#2) for the Derby event. We normally only rent a room, but during the dates that are available on listing #2, we are renting the entire house for Derby. This is why you see only a few dates available. The request came for listing #1 (that was blocked out- showing grey) for May 6-8 at our normal $89/night rate. The rate for the special event is much higher (which is why we blocked the dates for the first listing) and I felt like a jerk having to explain that to the Airbnb member that requested to stay. I followed the rules, but they didn't work. Upon checking the forum, I see that other member have had a  problem with this same "glitch". I hope it is resolved soon, but in the meantime, I plugged in the higher rate for those dates, so that should help. Thanks for your response!

Valerie

Ok @Valerie-And-Darren0, I get the picture now.  Hate to tell you but on your listing #1 your calendar is showing May 1 - May 10 as available.  That's why you are getting reservation requests.  Go to Manage Listing and Calendar and click on the dates you want to block. To the right you'll see "Available" and "Blocked".  Click on the "Blocked" box.  But you knew that, right? Since you have blocked so many other dates....Must have just gotten past you!

By the way, wish I could be there for the Derby!

Valerie, 

We have the same problem.

Airbnb IT Guy/Gal

How come I block off days and still receive room requests for the days listed as unavailable?  It is incredibly annoying since I have to decline them in order to not be dinged for response.  Please fix the glitch.   More info about said glitch...Is it possible that this is happening because the account is open on different computers concurrently?

@Alex41 Was it a reservation request or an inquiry?  Inquiries can be made for any dates, hence the inquiry...people are just shopping around.  Reservation requests shouldn't happen for dates that are blocked.  If this happened, could you provide a screen shot?

That's interesting, but what I'm seeing is tha the dates keep unblocking somehow. This has happened multiple times, and I keep going back and reblocking dates only to have another inquiry come in, and I see the dates aren't blocked.

Carrie12
Level 2
San Leandro, CA

I too have gotten requests when dates are blocked. I'm not sure whether they were inquiries or reservation requests. Regardless, I don't want to be bothered when I'M ON VACATION! Has anyone figured out a way to complain directly to Airbnb. It used to be more customer concerned, and I miss that. (No offense to the "community," but I want to be able to contact Airbnb.)

@Carrie12  Guests should not be able to make a booking requests for blocked dates, but they can make inquiries.  In fact, Airbnb encourages guests to make inquiries from multiple hosts to verify availability and ask questions.   Unless you "snooze" your listing while you are on vacation, I don't see any way to block inquiries.  If you do that, though, you might lose out on reservation requests for unblocked dates and other inquiries. 

Thanks Clare. Seems there's a flaw in the booking process.  I don't want to "snooze" for the reason you mentioned. I also don't wan't inquiries for dates I've blocked. Perhaps if others feel the same way, we can force Airbnb to change the process. It would be great if we could easily contact Airbnb to make a complaint.

Keep in mind @Carrie12,  unlike reservation requests, guests don't have to specify dates they want in the system.  Can they they message you about certain dates? Yep, and there's nothing you can do about it.  You would think that these guests would look at your calendar first before making an inquiry, but we all know how carefully guests read listings, don't we?

My supposition for Airbnb encouraging guests to make inquiries about certain dates is because so many hosts list their properties on multiple platforms and while dates on an Airbnb calendar might show as available, in fact they were booked on VRBO or Homeaway.  Some hosts don't keep their calendars updated and are only reminded when they get an inquiry. 

Yes, it is a hassle but I doubt Airbnb will change it's procedures.   Hope you have a great vacation....keep your phone handy!

Hi there - I too am having this problem and am quite sure all other dates are blocked.  It's a new problem that only just started happening about a month ago.  But in the space of a month I've now three times had requests for dates that are not available.  Very annoying!

PS - I thought that guests have to enter dates they are enquiring about and that my flat only comes up if it's available for the dates they are looking it.  Hence my confusion that they are asking about different dates.

This same situation has happened twice to me and in both instances, the guest "instant booked"! After it happened the first time, I went into the sight to be sure that the dates were blocked, and to my surprise, random dates were showing as available!! I check pretty regularly now to avoid this from happening again, but it certainly seems to be a glitch in the system...

This is the same situation for me.  I definitely have those dates blocked yet have received two requests back to back for those days.  

Also, you are penalized for not accepting or declining and some of us go on vacation and block dates specifically so we won't be bothered.  Like this message from Airbnb:  Desiree’s request expires at 3:40 PM EDT on Sep 29. If you don’t accept or decline, Oct 21-22 will remain blocked.