Requesting Money

Renata190
Level 2
New York, NY

Requesting Money

I am not sure whether I am the only one dealing with this problem, but recently had 2 incidents where the guests broke everything in the apartment. I requested money from the guest and he didn't want to pay 100% of what I had requested however, was going to pay around 50% of all the costs. Then I decided to ask Airbnb to intervene and I only could get back 30% from what I had requested. I realized I shouldn't have contacted them because the guest was willing to pay me more than Airbnb decided paying. I am a superhost and do everything in my power to provide an exceptional experience to my guest, but it seems to get ignored by Airbnb. The guest, who was irresponsable is the one who won on this situation. He is the one who should be punished and I am the one who ended up being screwed.... Have you ever been on this situation? Airbnb's excuse for most of the problems is that everything has depreciation and calculated 50% off on a never used item. This is ridiculous!!!!!

3 Replies 3
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Renata190 In the future keep in mind: when you get Airbnb involved (who is clearly guest-centric), you loose control over the situation. Many here have learned to take care of issues themselves.

Some even are a bit more extreme, meaning they have ~NEVER~ called Airbnb about ~ANYTHING~ to do with such issues, clearly those are the most radical types (like me). 😉

And @Renata190@Fred13 is not the only radical type 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Renata190

Your property is your responsibility Renata, not Airbnb's. I am sorry this has happened to you but you do need to make your own plans to cover yourself against what some looney guests may do.

Airbnb are a booking platform, they don't offer insurance policies, they don't charge premiums to compensate defined risks.

What Airbnb do have is an adjudicated compensation system that will take into account lots of variable things like 'wear and tear' host culpability. They will always try to strike a low to middle ground.

What will happen Renata, a host will put in a compensation claim for $2,000 for an outdoor setting a guest manage to burn cigarette holes in to a couple of cushions that can't be replaced. The outdoor setting may be worth $2,000 in replacement cost but, the host bought it from the local op shop for $250! But when Airbnb needs to see receipts and ends up offering 10% the host is up in arms because he was claiming 10 times that amount, and says that Airbnb are screwing him. Can you see Renata, the whole system does not really work.

Don't put your faith in airy fairy marketting tools that don't bare any resemblance to good insurance practice Renata. You should have accepted the guests offer in the first place, as you say you would have been better off. You try your best to be a good host and this is how you are repaid, doesn't seem fair does it!

Experience is a hard teacher, I wish you all the best though Renata.

Cheers.....Rob