Did you know that requesting a photo ID from a guest online is prohibited?

Answered!
Ron237
Level 2
Kennesaw, GA

Did you know that requesting a photo ID from a guest online is prohibited?

We just lost Super Host status because of this. We have the requirement clearly listed on our Airbnb pages. A guest that booked refused to send us her email address or ID. She did not want us to know her address, age or any identifying information which sent up a whole bunch of red flags.

I received, in writing from a AirBnb customer support person that if that requirement is listed on our page that she must provide the information or she can cancel. The next day I received a call from a very rude CS rep named Joshua that that told me I was in violation of their terms of service. We have no right to request the guest send us their ID and if we meet to let them in we CANNOT write down any information or take a photo of the ID.

I agreed that I would no longer require photo ID's to be sent to us. Long story short after talking to his supervisor they called back and did a owner cancelation due to a violation of their Terms of Service which cost us the reservation, a $100 fee and our Superhost status. It is ironic that you cannot rent a ladder from Home Depot without a ID but we are now to turn over our properties to complete strangers without any way to verify that they are who they say they are.

The biggest injustice is that I'm told (in writing) from one employee that I'm completely in the right to request this information then severely penalized from another employee. Maybe they should get on the same page so we have a small chance to play by the rules...

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about identity verification for a guest by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Verifying your identity.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36

I'm not going to keep replying to you because you just don't get it.  She could see there was no photo before she took the payment and could have asked then.  I've stayed other places and never been asked and it's not required.  I can show the reciept to show that it's my room without a photo.  I'm not going to bother to reply when someone doesn't get it 

I just booked for the first time and after I paid for the trip in full online it asked for my Government Id before it would go thru or be submitted. I didn't want to put my license on line so I called the customer service dept. and she said I had to do it to book. I had trouble getting it to go thru on my computer and then she said she would share my screen and help me, at that point I hung up to many red flags on my end. I would never share my screen. So if it goes against their terms and service why are they asking for it when you are trying to book. I would not mind in person, I do that at the hotels but online I am concerned that your info could be hacked. So is it required or not? I am really confused now.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's quite simple @Kimberly865 . Some host require photo ID - it will say so on the listing - some don't.

You must have chosen a listing that required photo ID - that's why you were asked to provide it.

If you prefer not to provide your ID online (this is done through a third party secure system) then chose a listing where photo ID isn't required.

Haley182
Level 2
Fort Worth, TX

Hello everyone. So I read the majority of this conversation and I feel a little differently about it. As a single woman that still resides at the residence that I’m renting out, I think asking for ID prior to accepting the booking is understandable. I live in a 3 bedroom house and I rent out both bedrooms separately. My job has me traveling often and I haven’t had any negative experiences with any of my guests so far, but I just started doing long term stays. With that being said, I don’t think it’s out of question to ask for a guests ID who will be staying with me in my house for 3 months. What’s the way around this without going against airbnbs terms? Asking for their ID when they request a reservation through message instead of in the description on your listing? 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

@Haley182 is hosting in a similar as you.  Would you please share how you manage your requirements for gathering guest ID and contact information?  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 thanks for tagging me here.

@Haley182 I don't actually ask for guests' IDs. I do require guest to verify their ID with Airbnb (but this is not failsafe as I don't really trust that system) and to upload a profile pic. What I do is to state in my house rules that guests may be required to present official government ID on arrival. I don't actually ask them to do this, but sometimes they volunteer, seeing as I've mentioned it. The reason I state that is as a deterrent for people who think they can pull a fast one! It's worked so far.

BUT, I think the reason it has worked so far is that I put a lot of effort into vetting my guests in other ways, and a lot of this is to do with communication. I have rather a lot of communication with my guests prior to accepting a booking, but I do feel that is necessary when you are renting rooms in your own home and even more so if it's long term stays and even more so if you are a single female!!

I do know that some hosts request to be sent ID when the guest books. I don't do this personally, but I have had guests send me it without being asked, so I don't think it's that uncommon. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about identity verification for a guest by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Verifying your identity.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines