Did you know that requesting a photo ID from a guest online is prohibited?

Answered!
Ron237
Level 2
Kennesaw, GA

Did you know that requesting a photo ID from a guest online is prohibited?

We just lost Super Host status because of this. We have the requirement clearly listed on our Airbnb pages. A guest that booked refused to send us her email address or ID. She did not want us to know her address, age or any identifying information which sent up a whole bunch of red flags.

I received, in writing from a AirBnb customer support person that if that requirement is listed on our page that she must provide the information or she can cancel. The next day I received a call from a very rude CS rep named Joshua that that told me I was in violation of their terms of service. We have no right to request the guest send us their ID and if we meet to let them in we CANNOT write down any information or take a photo of the ID.

I agreed that I would no longer require photo ID's to be sent to us. Long story short after talking to his supervisor they called back and did a owner cancelation due to a violation of their Terms of Service which cost us the reservation, a $100 fee and our Superhost status. It is ironic that you cannot rent a ladder from Home Depot without a ID but we are now to turn over our properties to complete strangers without any way to verify that they are who they say they are.

The biggest injustice is that I'm told (in writing) from one employee that I'm completely in the right to request this information then severely penalized from another employee. Maybe they should get on the same page so we have a small chance to play by the rules...

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

You can learn more about identity verification for a guest by reviewing this Airbnb Help Center article: Verifying your identity.

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Julene2
Level 3
IVGID, NV

Given my recent experience, (see "75 lbs of ammo sent to my office") I totally agree. Trust but verify! 

As it turns out the guy uses one name on ABnB and amnther across all his other platforms. How do we know who it is on check-in without that verification? 

@Julene2   

I agree trust but verify in person.

Even with Airbnb online verification there is no guarantee, ID's were created for in-person verification not for verifying someone on the other end of an internet connection.

Airbnb article:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1237/how-does-it-work-when-airbnb-asks-for-an-id

Online verification process  "isn’t an endorsement of any host or guest, a guarantee of someone’s identity, or an assurance that interacting with them will be safe. Always use your own best judgment, and follow our safety tips for guests and hosts."

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I don't see how that can be airbnb's policy, since some countries mandate that hosts provide the name and ID to their local governments, so how can it be against the TOS to get this information.  

And I thought the policy was that hosts can ask for a photo ID if they want, but it is no longer mandatory.

If you can't ask for a photo, or even have them show their ID upon check in, how exactly are hosts supposed to know that the person at their property is the person who booked?  

@Mark116   And the kicker is if they are not who their account says they are and there is a problem Airbnb do not cover it because it is interpreted as a third party booking.  Although third party booking is allowed for "business",  not sure how that works for verification if the person booking is not the person arriving.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ron237

it can't be in their TOS because in many countries including Croatia, Italy, Spain etc... we are obligated to register all our guests, including newborn children. Our guests have to show us their ID on arrival, we have to write down all their personal informations and send it to police through online application.

Everything is explained here:

gdpr-obavijest-na-hr-eng-de-it-1-1.jpg

So, one more in a long, long, long line of CS people who have no actual clue as to what airbnb's policies are, or how to find them.  If I didn't see this stuff on here every day, I would never believe any multi-billion company could be THIS bad.

The supervisor (Brandi) did say that there are countries that by law require the guest to send in their photo ID and that is acceptable if your property is located in one of those areas. The USA is not one of those countries so we are therefore prohibited from requiring it.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Ron237 the CS rep is wrong. You may ask for ID. More hosts should ask for ID. Keep arguing. That isn't right

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

This would be something really useful if @Lizzie or @Quincy0 provide some clarity for hosts as it is a very important issue of trust, safety and community.

Ron237
Level 2
Kennesaw, GA

Here is the section of the TOS I was sent by C.S. 

14. Prohibited Activities
"copy, store or otherwise access or use any information, including personally identifiable information about any other Member, contained on the Airbnb Platform in any way that is inconsistent with Airbnb’s Privacy Policy or these Terms or that otherwise violates the privacy rights of Members or third parties"

I asked how this section restricts me from requiring that a guest email or text me a copy of their ID off of the Airbnb system. I was not given an answer only that it is prohibited. Period.

So that sounds like you could ID them when they arrive but can't get it in advance, which is fairly silly, but that's airbnb for you.

I would fight the penalties if I were you, because the various 'rules' about photo on the profile/countries that mandate ID information is delivered and that particular section are confusing and mutually contradictory.

I'm assuming this wasn't done through Instant Book, since at least for now, you can require a photo/government ID in order for someone to book.

@Ron237   

"I asked how this section restricts me from requiring that a guest email or text me a copy of their ID off of the Airbnb system. I was not given an answer only that it is prohibited. Period."

Exactly- you weren't given an answer because I believe the CS rep you were dealing with is clueless and intrepreted that policy wrongly. 

I have a friend who hosts tell me that she has had to walk CS reps through their own policies to prove that what they are telling her is not at all true. She has her calendar settings to only allow bookings 3 months out. She got a booking for a date that was 2 months past when her calendar was open and called Airbnb to get them to cancel it. The rep told her it would have to be a host cancellation and she'd be penalized. She had to insist, and not give up, and in the end, the rep realized that it was an Airbnb glitch and there was no way my friend should be penalized for it.

You were treated very unfairly. I've found that if it is obvious that a CS rep is not going to be helpful or sympathetic or is simply a clueless robot, thank them for their time, close the conversation and send it again as a new issue-  you'll doubtless get a different CS rep and don't mention that you've already discussed this with a different rep. You might have to do this several times before you get a knowledgeable, helpful, personable rep.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

Frankly I wouldn't stay in an Airbnb that required me to identify myself that way.  It's too much trouble and it makes the host seem unfriendly and paranoid.  As a host I never ask for I.D., and as a guest with over twenty stays in Airbnbs around the world I've never been asked for an I.D.  

Michael, I respect that as well as your right to run your business the way you see fit. The point of my original post isn't should I/we be asking for ID from guests but the arbitrary punishment handed down for violating a rule that isn't directly listed and was directly contradicted in writing by another CS rep.