Requests at odd hours factoring into response rate

Evelyn146
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

Requests at odd hours factoring into response rate

We've been hosting for 5 months now, and so far have had great overall experiences.  One issue I'm having is that  guests are occasionally making inquiries at 11pm, or even 12:30am.  These are guests within my same time zone. Obviously, or perhaps not so obviously, I do not respond until I wake up the next morning.  By then, I've received 2 additional reminders from Air BnB to respond.

I don't mind inquries at odd hours, but what I'm wondering is if there is a way to prevent these inquiries placed at unusual times to negatively impact my response rate?  I have instant booking turned on...

Thanks!

Evelyn

5 Replies 5
Martin27
Level 10
Berlin, Germany

Dear @Evelyn146,

replying within 24 hours wont have any effect on your response rate unless you get a warning reminder that your response rate might be "in danger".

Best

Martin

I do get the warning. I receive this warning within 4 hours or so of not responding.

@Evelyn146

There will be a kind of final countdown - sounds something like this "Not responding within next 2 hours (or so) will change your response rate. "

All other messages are just for your information. 🙂

I have not seen this for a long time and it takes me some 10 hours to respond from time to time.

Best

Martin

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Evelyn146  Don't worry about the "warnings".  After a while you will find the Air BNB "nag" kinda funny.  When you start getting international inquiries, you will have different time zones an issue.  When I am in the busy season for my listing, I usually make sure I check at least 2 times a day so I  can catch the odd hour inquiry.  Also, I do have a smart phone and the notifications are pushed to my phone.

I just recently noticed that in my listing it says I "respond within a few hours" for response time.  It is to the requests that come at very late hours, 11:30 pm, or once at 1:30 am.  I respond 1st thing in the morning. I have only had two of these so far.  I used to have "responds within an hour". Yet my response rate is 100%.  I thought I had to respond within 24 hours to not be effected by this.  What does it take to get back to "responds within an hour"? I feel like it makes me look like a slacker to potential guests. I work very hard to maintain my high ratings. Thanks for any feedback!