Requests for dates that are booked

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Requests for dates that are booked

I get quite a few requests for dates that are already booked. I am not 100% sure why people do this, but its quite common with my listing. 

If I decline too many of these requests, of course I get a warning, despite that my calendar is unavailable.

I do wonder if these requests are ever effective for people? Are there hosts out there who can boot other guests or open up blocked days? (I have had a few guests ask me to cancel existing stays for them, but I can't imagine there are hosts who do this. Maybe I am wrong...)

How do you handle these requests? Do you note anything about this in your listing?

23 Replies 23
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark116  "I'm fairly sure that if you accepted the request for the dates they gave but didn't really want, you would see them cancel ASAP. "

Or they're the type of guests who don't bother to read the host's messages, will see they have been charged for dates they don't want, freak out and message the host, "What the hell? Why did you charge me for dates I told you I didn't want?!?! Are you some kind of scammer? I'm reporting you ." 🙂

@Sarah977  Sure, but all you do as a host is indicate your confusion about their message and your desire to please the guests, which is why you accepted the dates they requested:)  I don't see how Airbnb could punish a host for accepting a reservation request and misunderstanding the guests actual intention.  

I am amazed at how many people never read anything though.  Our next guests are coming on Thursday.  She has never responded to any message since she IB a month ago.  I finally went to defcon 2 and left her a voicemail and will go defcon 1 tomorrow if I don't hear from her.  But, who does that?  That is putting a lot of trust in Airbnb that you can book a place and plan to just roll in your arrival date at whatever time and everything will be ready for you.

@Mark116  I was just joking about the nasty message. But as we know, nothing is outside the realm of possibility when it comes to guests. If they actually reported  a host for that, I would hope Airbnnb would say, "Well, the host can only approve a request for the dates you entered in the request. Do you want to cancel?"

As for ignoring all messages and just showing up at the door 2 months later at check-in time, I've read several guest posts where they did that. It didn't work out too well. 

Hard to fathom how some people make it through life with no common sense. They must have constant issues they likely blame on someone else.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

it is very mean of Airbnb to punish hosts for not accepting the request while, at the same time, the request button is red and on the top and "contact host" is a small, barely visible link on the bottom of the page.

Back in 2016 - 2017 both buttons were on the top, next to each other and guests didn't send requests just to ask a question.

I miss the layout from 2017, Airbnb should rehire the same team again. All changes since then (except the pro-tools) were a pure disaster.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Laura2592 RAISE YOUR RAAAAAAAATES!!!! 😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't think I've ever had a guest send a request for dates when they actually want to book other dates, but I've often had enquiries along those lines. Most times, the dates are unavailable because they are booked, but I guess the guests just want to double check in case you have maybe blocked them for another, non essential reason. I don't really mind it as sometimes I have another room (that they didn't see in search results) that is available for them.

If they sent this as a booking request, yes it would be annoying, but I would respond something along the lines of:

"Dear X, I am so sorry the dates you want are not available as they are already booked by another guest. If that guest cancels, I'll be sure to let you know. However, you have sent a booking request, which the host must accept or decline within 48 hours. I will be penalised if I decline, so it would be great if you could please retract the request asap."

If they ignore that message, I would message again, letting them know I will have to accept the request in order not to get penalised and, although I could still refund them the accommodation fees, I have no control over the Airbnb fees and I am sure they don't want to get charged those! 

I have actually asked a host about dates that weren't showing as available. Turns out in the end they were available and I was able to book them, so I understand why some guests would ask, but I would never send a booking request for other dates.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Huma0 "However, you have sent a booking request, which the host must accept or decline within 48 hours."

24 hours. But I'm you know that- you.probably had their 48 hr. free cancellation window in mind while you were typing.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Exactly. Apologies, I meant 24 hours. Was going to add something about the 48 hour penalty free cancellation period but the thought, why encourage them to tie up my calendar for 24 + 48 hours? (I know the first 24 hours doesn't block the dates, but booking requests do override enquiries).

Am I reading this right that you are seeing booking requests don't block dates? They do mine and from what I read, they do everyone else's.