Requests for guest's girlfriend to stay the night

Mel131
Level 4
Peterborough, United Kingdom

Requests for guest's girlfriend to stay the night

We have a couple of listings for rooms in our home.  We only started hosting last year and mostly its been positive!  This evening, one of my male guests came in from work (they're here for 3 weeks) and asked if his girlfriend could stay the night.  I'm a bit put out because of the last minuteness of the request (she arrived 20 minutes after he asked).  The booking is for 1 guest only and nothing was mentioned beforehand.  I've allowed it tonight as i felt i didnt have much choice, but i'll refuse any further requests.  Is this common and should I have refused?  

Thanks in advance 🙂

5 Replies 5
Annie590
Level 2
Whangamata, New Zealand

Hi Mel, 

Interesting situation .

Last week we had couple stay from Europe .

As I was not going to  be at home when guests arrived we had organised for them to use key  we hid. Booking was for a couple only .

On my arrival home the usual meet & greet,   I found their son lying on a bed to be staying one night.

I was taken back by comment  and thought quickly to say -   ' that is great your son could join you for a night - are you going to contact Airbnb to advise change of booking to 3 guests ? '

That worked as they advised as  new to Airbnb & do not know how to alter  booking they would pay the 'extra guest fee'  for his night stay in cash.

They were here for 9 nights and son  here 3 diffetent nights and they paid cash for those nights he was here .

Felt ok as was another towel, sheets, water , soap etc..

Wording  like I did, they had to take ownership of the change of their booking.

Hope this assists u in your situation.

Annie

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mel131

how do you think hotel would handle it?

Of course she can stay.  1 night for 1 extra person =  xx $  🙂

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Annie590 be careful, it's a violation of Airbnb TOS to "request, accept or make any payment for Listing Fees outside of the Airbnb Platform or Airbnb Payments."

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Mel, I would be happy that he at least asked. That shows that he is somewhat respectful of your home and your rules. I would let him know that your nightly rate is based on the number of people and that if she will be staying again you can update the reservation to 2 guests at the appropriate rate.

Tracey207
Level 4
San Diego, CA

Great thinking on your feet!

A word of caution... accepting payment outside of the platform isn’t permitted and could get your listing deactivated.

Also, by not having the son added to the rental agreement, he was not bound by the parents  agreement. Meaning any damage he might have done would not be claimable against his parents security deposit.

And, even worse...if you have an umbrella insurance policy for short term rental...the son wouldn’t be covered under that either because he wasn’t officially staying as a guest...so if he had hurt himself, you’d be liable for all costs, instead of your insurance.