Reservation is made for 1 adult. But messages keep referring to "we"

Kareen5
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Reservation is made for 1 adult. But messages keep referring to "we"

I've had a few guests book for 1 adult, yet in their communications with me, they always use "we", or "us", so I know there will be more than one adult.  I've just been letting it go ( I charge a small additional fee for a second person), but wondered how others would deal with this.  Thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Kareen5, ''I saw that you have booked for one, is that the right amount of guests? Please be aware that the base price if for one guest, the second guest is xx. Let me know so I can adjust the amount.''

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kareen5

Hi Kareen, my guess is, this probably happens most with your Cornville listing! You list for two guests, describe how the bed is just right for two, and everything in your description assumes that a couple are going to book.

The guest just doesn't understand that there is a distinction here, after all, the bed is still going to have be serviced regardless of whether one or two people slept in it. They feel that this listing is  being promoted to them, plural....not he or she, singular!

You possibly need to make mention fairly early in your listing description that "The size of the listing makes it easy for single travellers, however it is extremely comfortable for couples with a small additional amount for that second person required to cover that extra protection that Airbnb offers guests and hosts!"

This makes them aware up front that the price is for one person...and although that last part is 'bulldust',

the guest doesn't know that, and feels they are obligated to state and book for their numbers correctly...and it saved you having to make an issue of it down the track!

That is what I would do Kareen.

Cheers.....Rob

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kareen5

we have a studio for 2 guests and our base price is the same for 1 or 2 guests. But when 1 person books we always ask if he/she is traveling alone so we know how many beds and towels to prepare.

Kareen5
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Thank you Robin.  I might just cut and paste that into my description, if you don't mind!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kareen5

As hosts Kareen, we are entrepreneurs and we have to use our skills to make our hosting go as smoothly as possible. You can wave a big stick at the guest and make strident statements as far as an extra payment is concerned and this will have two effects...

1/......It will make guests grudgingly obey your listing requirements, or go elsewhere!

2/.....You will be seen as a rule demanding aggressive host and possibly one to be avoided!

Neither of these scenarios is preferable.

By saying something like I have stated in that last post the guest will not hold anything against you...you have shifted the 'demand' (as it were) to Airbnb, and away from you! All you are trying to do is the right thing and a guest will gladly accept that, you have put a rationale to the additional payment which the guest will happily accept....it for their own good! As I said, it is nonsense, but the guest doesn't know that.

By all means Kareen use that if it can help you, you can tailor it around to suit your situation, but I am sure it will make things easier for you!

Cheers.....Rob 

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

Hi @Kareen5 I too get many reservations for 1 but communication indicates 2 or more so in my communiation I point this out asking can they please reconfirm actual number of guests prior to me accepting their booking so that I can set up beds appropriatly  usually it comes back as an amended request with actual numbers and only once the guest declined booking stating the home would not be appropriate for his requirements. If they say it is only 1 person I also recommend that as my home is very large and sleeps 9 then perhaps it would be more appropriate if they were to search for a more suited home or apartment for 1 person, I also let them know that the home is serviced daily and if it is noted that there has been more than 1 bedroom used then they would have to vacate immediatley with no refund, and there would be no negiotaion through ABB for them to stay., STRIKE ONE YOUR OUT. and as hard as this might sound I have never had anyone try to play me yet.

Ralph102
Level 3
Chula Vista, CA

Hi @Kareen5, we are new to Airbnb hosting and our third reservation did just this.  I searched this forum (awesome tool by the way) and many hosts remind the guest in a kind way.  Sometimes it's an oversight and I suppose some are trying to scam the system.  Since we rent a room in our home where we live, it's not like a couple can show up instead of just one guest and we wouldn't know 🙂

I have a canned message if the guest indicates more than one but booked for one:

"Hi ——, in reviewing your message it appears as though there could be two of you but you only booked for one guest.  It’s not an issue either way, but please confirm if you will be a party of one or two and I will amend the reservation accordingly.   Thank you so much and we look forward to having you as our guest!"

If they confirm it should have been two instead of one, you have to go into the reservation and "change reservation" to change the sub-total value.  While the system allows you to change the guest count from 1 to 2, it won't make the fee calculation correctly.  You have to change the fee manually.  The guest would then accept the changes before arrival.

We haven't had the occurance where a guest refuses to accept changes (or simply booked one and their message didn't indicate two) and shows up as a couple at the door....  I'll deal with that when it happens.  Another host online here can probably say what to do at that point.

Cheers!  - Ralph

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ralph102

re. 'We haven't had the occurance... I'll deal with that when it happens....'

I've hosted for 6 years - as a live-in host - and it's never happened!

The reasons are as follows:

1) I don't do Instant Book, so the prospective Guest is obliged to communicate even in sending a Reservation Request.

Indeed, I've never had an RR without some message, and no one has tried to pretend they'll turn up alone in my home. (It's not hard to imagine the reason: most would feel incredibly uncomfortable in trying to pull the wool over the eyes of someone they would like to stay with.) 

2) It's not uncommon to receive Inquiry or Reservation Request for "1" with message re 'we' or 'us'. However, again I've never felt it's a deliberate ploy to deceive by someone who considers to stay in one's home.

Rather, the Inquiry is at a stage pre-booking.

Occasionally, I've felt it's an implicit signal for a discount on the additional guest charge.

3) There are easy ways to address the issue:

i) In House Rules state that only the precise number booked can enter the premises; though further assume that House Rules may not have been read, so the issue needs to be pointed out.

ii) State that Airbnb Host Guarantee pertains only to those part of the booking.

iii) Inform there is an extra charge for additional Guests.

The latter point usually reveals if the Booker has been implicitly asking for a Discount. If so, and I'm willing to grant it, I reply that I can do a 'Special Offer' via the website, when I can also formerly change the number of Guests.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I been largely gone from the board for 2 months, just been ultra busy with a couple of projects which hopefully will soon will be over (end of February).  Just happened to click on the boards, and this post caught my eye. This is how I would go about.

~IF~ your place is well suited to a couple (i.e. single bed) AND upon reflection you have noticed many of your guests DO travel in pairs, why make a distinction between 1 or 2 persons and ~add~ the need for further communication with the guests or creating a need for exact clarifications on their part? There is a reason why people (social animals that we are) reffer to themselves as 'we' or 'us', maybe because they usually travel as a pair! 😉

Perhaps best to set your price for (2) and that is that. Normal human thinking is that allowing two (2) to stay is the lodging industry norm anyway, and in all likelihood it is the 'norm' of your clientele also. Doubtful many people will feel that 'paying' for two is somehow getting gouged, and the slight difference in price is so insignificant it will not have any bearing on your getting bookings anyway.

Listing a place as for '2 guests' and then charge per person (1 vs. 2) may come across as 'awkward', for most. Just a thought.

(I also been busy the last two months with some Airbnb advisory 'projects' that Airbnb is presently conducting in a sincere effort to revisit many aspects of their platform, all in an effort to do better in the future. Needless to say, my personal votes will be on the side of the host's perspective.)

So be back 'soon' and you are now thoroughly warned. LoL

It breathes, it pays.

Period.

And if guests show up with more people than actually booked and payed, we cancel the stay immediately.

It's a matter of trust.

Guests who lie from the beginning will continuing doing so.

And at the end you get a bad review.