Reservations have come to a halt. How do I find out the reason for this? I did reduce price .

Chris1566
Level 2
Lebanon, PA

Reservations have come to a halt. How do I find out the reason for this? I did reduce price .

We are near Hershey Park and we’re getting too many short term guests...too much cleaning and laundering. We just changed to minimum of three nights, but the cessation of reservations began before the change.

7 Replies 7
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chris1566

Chris, mate, I don't want to be rude or be a know-all but, your listing lacks appeal. The photos are all poor quality and it looks dark and gloomy with no character. There is just nothing there to make a prospective guest go 'wow, look at that, lets book'!

Put a nice vase of flowers on the dining table and have a couple of magazines scattered around, maybe a bowl of nuts. 

The only bed you show is one single bed....you list for 6 guests but 5 of them have no idea what they are going to be sleeping on.

Mate, I am not criticising your listing, it may be lovely but you are not promoting it well. Is there an outdoor area, perhaps a garden with some seats in it.

You need a full on make-over here with your photos and give a prospective guest a reason to book.

Your listing doesn't inspire me and I cant imagine it inspiring others considering, the absolute minimum a guest is going to have to pay to stay with you including cleaning and service fees is $547.37 AU.....that's a big hit and a guest needs to justify spending that sort of money!

Once again Chris, I am trying to be constructive, you came here for advice on why you are not getting bookings and I can only give you advice the way I see it. I am fully booked month after month, but it is only that way because I give the guest something they would like in my description.....Chris you have to do the same!

Cheers.....Rob

Thanks Rob, I see your point. I will add better pictures. Is there a limit on quantity of pictures?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chris1566

Sorry for the delay Chris, I only just noticed your response.

No there is no limit to the number of photos you can have but, remember guests get bored quickly and anything more than about 40 they are just not going to look at. I saw one listing with 215!! I bet not one prospective guest ever looked at all of them.

Promote your strengths Chris, the things that are likely to attract guests. 

I promote my bed, my cheese plate, bowl of fruit and a beer in the fridge, and my garden and these things give me a consistent steady stream of guests....

IMG20170308181344   01.jpg

IMG20170319182255 b.jpg

IMG20180328031918 b.jpg

Chris you have to give them a reason to come. There will be some beautiful aspects to your property and the area you are in. Make the most of them and your bookings will come!

Cheers......Rob

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Chris1566

This is the depressing low season. Take this opportunity to up your marketing.

You've got great reviews and your place is very clean. It's obvious you know how to provide a good service. 

#1. Improve your photo. You've got a winning smile - but we can't see it! Your photo is too dark, your face too small.  Easy change that will sell itself.

#2 Improve your listing blurb.  Don't say budget in the headline - it detracts. Don't apologize for the outdoor construction.   You're well-priced and your guests don't sleep outside, so what business is it of theirs? Don't say what you DON'T have. Say what you DO have. First and foremost.  Large windows, original trim, historic home, nice cross ventiation, many beds for all ...  

#3. Add color to your photos. Maybe a picture on the walls or bright colored photos for staging.

I respect that your apartment is clean and without clutter. Unfortunately, in your photos, it comes off drab and spartan. Even your Amish neighbors add blue curtains and colorful quilts to their simple homes.

@Chris1566

This is the depressing low season. Take this opportunity to up your marketing.

You've got great reviews and your place is very clean. It's obvious you know how to provide a good service. 

#1. Improve your photo. You've got a winning smile - but we can't see it! Your photo is too dark, your face too small.  Easy change that will sell itself.

#2 Improve your listing blurb.  Don't say budget in the headline - it detracts. Don't apologize for the outdoor construction.   You're well-priced and your guests don't sleep outside, so what business is it of theirs?

#3. Add color to your photos. Maybe a picture on the walls or bright colored photos for staging.

I respect that your apartment is clean and without clutter. Unfortunately, in your photos, it comes off drab and spartan. Even your Amish neighbors add blue curtains and colorful quilts to their simple homes.

Thank you...we are using this time do special cleaning and updating. I will add new pics after this has finished. I do so appreciate your feedback.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Chris1566 I have to agree with Rob and Paul, those are some very depressing pictures. I'm sure your space is lovely in person but first you have to get them there. My suggestion is add some color, take more bedroom pictures. People want to see where they will be sleeping. I would also put more chairs around the table, it looks small for a family to eat at. Good luck with your updating!

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Hi Chris, I hope you don't feel like this is a pile-on, but I have a few specific suggestions that jumped out at me when I was looking through your pics. First of all, as an earlier commenter mentioned,  people need to know what their sleeping situation looks like. You should ideally have a picture of every bed. We stay in a lot of Airbnbs and one of the first things we do is look at the pictures of the beds to see where each of us will sleep. Also, the bed that you do show sort of looks unmade. I would make the beds so that they look as crisp and fresh as possible. One of the common phrases here among hosts is that you want the place to look as if your guest is the first person who has ever stayed there. Same goes for the dish towel hanging on the sink. That kind of thing definitely takes away from the appeal. Also, the walls that show in your pictures are bare. Adding some pictures (possibly local scenery or attractions) throughout the place add a lot. Goodwill is a great place to find really affordable, unique pictures. Also, flowers on the table, colored pillows on the couch, throw rugs, and anything that can add texture and color to the place, will make your listing a lot more appealing. When you take your new pictures stand in the corner of each room and try to get as much of the room in the picture as possible. Also take them at the brightest time of day and turn on all the lights, open all the windows.

I looked very closely at the pics and your place has the potential to be very appealing with a few inexpensive, cosmetic changes, and better pictures. Good luck and please let us know when you post new pictures so we can enjoy them.