Resolution Center - Adding Pet Fee

Wendy1221
Level 2
Cedar Park, TX

Resolution Center - Adding Pet Fee

I have guests checking in in less than a week.  I sent the request for the pet fee through the Resolution Center.  The guest never got the request.  I have selected "involve Airbnb" and nothing happens.  I have sent several messages and they are closing them with no response at all.  Is there a live person that can help me?  The guest is wanting to pay but doesn't know how.  Why can't they just add a line for this up front?  I was told that I could before I even decided to list but said I would have to add it to "additional fees" once it was listed.  But that's not the case.  This is a beating trying to collect the pet fee each time.  Any suggestions on how I can get some help other than trying to message with no response?

26 Replies 26
Fernando1561
Level 5
Sarasota, FL

Airbnb does not have a specific section to add a fee for pets and the option to charge it through the Resolution Center or adjust the cleaning fee, It is not the correct way, because  many times  If you ask for the fee  thru the Resolution Center Guests do not want to pay it and they get upset, leaving  a bad review.

THAT IS WHY AIRBNB MUST SOLVE THIS PROBLEM NOW AND HAVE THAT SPECIFIC OPTION TO BE PAID BY THE RESERVATION TIME

Likewise, the Host Guarantee does not cover damages caused by pets, even when Guests paid the secure deposit ,   it doesn't cover any damages caused by pets.

PLEASE HELP ME  TO CALL, WRITE TO AIRBNB SO THESE REQUESTS BECOME VIRAL BECAUSE IT WILL BENEFIT  TO EVERYBODY( HOSTS)

Angelika204
Level 1
Cape Coral, FL

I'm having the same issue. Airbnb is NOT HELPFUL AT ALL! It's absolutely ridiculous if you have several reservations trying to collect money up front and if they are months out. Tracking it is impossible. It doesn't even show up under the guests' reservation. You have to go back to the resolution center and see if they paid. No way to set a due date. No way to resend request. Absolutely horrible functionality. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Wendy1221  I forgot to add that I have a coded entry so I withhold that code until I get the pet fee. If I haven't received the pet fee within 3 days of arrival, I send a message letting them know I will release the door code as soon as the pet fee is paid.

I don't know how your guests check-in, but if you have a code, that is an option to make sure it is paid.

I like this idea

I have basically given up on using the Airbnb platform to collect extra fees and have guests Venmo me any pet or other fees prior to check-in instead. I would way rather stay on the platform, but in the end I have to do what’s best/easiest for me and my guests. I sure do wish, though, that Airbnb would explain why, with “100+ upgrades”, the customizable fee option that hosts have been begging for for years is not one of them. It’s a weird sticking point. 

I agree - VRBO gives you the option to collect extra fees

Naomi354
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

When I reply to the guest via approval, I advise them a pet fee is due & payable prior to arrival.  They can pay via zelle or venmo.

Also,  has anyone encountered the issue of city taxes not being collected from guests, thus when we submit our city occ tax report we pay the taxes for which we have not been paid.  How are other hosts handling the collection of those taxes? 

Katherine658
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Airbnb does not have a specific section to add a fee for pets and the option to charge it through the Resolution Center or adjust the cleaning fee. How many years do we have to wait for a correct way to do this like the compition has a pet box to check what is our problem seriously why do we have to wait years . 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Wendy1221 

I've got a bit of relevant news for you on this! We’re really pleased to share some details with you that were recently announced! In the coming weeks, Hosts will be able to add a Pet fee to their listing. 

We have been listening to Host feedback, just like yours, so please do let us know how you like the new service by sharing your thoughts here on the Community Center once it has launched. 

Thanks again,

Stephanie

Extra tags @Tanya541 @Katherine658 @Naomi354 @Jennifer2682 @Helen3 @Suzanne302 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  This is HUGE news!!!!!!! And a long time coming!

I may (or may not) be literally dancing in my living room! And now, I'm definitely dancing with my dog. 🙂

@Suzanne302  Well, I can see everyone is excited about the pet fee option.

But guess what? It is not set up in a way that will be fair to hosts (can't say I'm surprised). It is to be spread out across all the length of the booking. 

So let's say you charge a $25 pet fee. If the guest books 5 days, but then decides to leave after 2 days, 3 days worth of pet fee will be reimbursed to the guest. So you would only get a$10 pet fee, even though it proably takes  just as long to clean up after the dog as if they stayed for 5  days.

Also, Airbnb will charge the guest and host service fees on the pet fee. Seems like this new feature is actually worse than charging it through the resolution center.

Bob-And-Cathy0
Level 2
Colonel Light Gardens, Australia

I have just spoken to Joanna in the help centre regarding a solution to the pet fee issue. I asked her to pass on the request to the relevant section of Airbnb. She assures me she has  forwarded on the feedback from me, and said she would share that information with me.

Here is her response:

Airbnb Support11:03 AM
Hi Bob,

We're so glad to have a host like you in our community. Thank you for your dedication to providing exceptional hospitality.

We appreciate your feedback about adding the pet fee feature/settings in the listing.

I would just like to let you know that I will be closing this case that everything is good while we speak earlier over the phone.

I would also like to share with you this helpful Airbnb link that you might want to check for reference:

How the Resolution Center helps you
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/how-the-resolution-center-helps-you

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Your friend from Airbnb,
Joanna