Responding to Bad Unfair 1 stars Review

Shann1
Level 3
Istanbul, Turkey

Responding to Bad Unfair 1 stars Review

My first bad unfair and cruel review experience. And believe or not I got 1 star in almost all criterias. 

Airbnb Community and Experienced Hosts I need your support and help. 

Host was irrelevant. First day, we went to a security gate across the street and take key from security. She didn't come with us to explain about facilities in home. She obviously didn't check home before we arrived. Because of that I wished she would come with us and see the conditions of home. Toilet, bathroom and bedroom was dirty. Washbasin was muddy. There were hairs (other people's) on the bathroom floor. There were not toilet paper and hand soap (note: there was some hand soaps used by other people. It is not hygienic). Also, it was not good to see that toilet brush was fully sh*tty. Kitchen was untidy. There were water was drunk by other people and potato chips was eaten by other people in the refrigerator. And THE BEDROOM... There were hair (I don't know whose) on the bed sheet. We stayed 3 days. We tried to clean toilet and bathroom during our accommodation. We didn't touch anything in the kitchen. We found a clean bed sheet and was covered bed by that. All these things prove us that the host is irrelevant and didn't check home before us.

REALITY

My parents are my co hosts and they did check the apt prior check in. The regular cleaning lady came and were paid 80 TL. The house was CLEAN. actually they left a big box of trash in the apt which i took a picture of. The host DID NOT reach me or mention any of his remarks below. In his review He mentions security gate which is a risk and private information. 

Because in check out they mentioned they bought toilet towel and soap for the apt and left it all the package for us(we had it both but they said there was not enough and they did not like those). refund for their expense was provided. 

The cattle at the apt no longer works. 

I do believe they did this intentionally to leave a bad review and may be get money from airbnb or something. Otherwise why would you not call your host...... In check out when i asked why didnt you call me about it. He said its ok we only came to the apt to sleep anyways. 

What else can I do now at this point.....I really do not want to respond back to their review.....

AİRBNBS RESPONSE VİA TWİTTER

Hi there, we understand your concerns and appreciate that it is never nice to get a positive review. However all hosts and guests are permitted to leave feedback on the reservation and Airbnb cannot remove reviews unless they violate our guidelines : abnb.co/iAyGAy. However you do have the option to leave a public response to this review. Here you will be able to outline your point of view and address any issues raised in the guests review. This way, future guests will be able to see how you communicate and address problems as a host. We hope this helps. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Report this message Delete this message

41 Replies 41
Lol0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree the guest should have contacted you immediately if they had concerns. If you cant meet your guests in person then at least call them once you arrive to check all is ok. hopefully all your other reviews will be positive. Also update description of your apartment and explain to readers that the one negative review was from scammers

@Lol0 i usually meet them in person or my cohosts do. this was one and only time they get the key from somewhere but i notified them about the situation in 7 days in advance and they did not say anything. they even did not tell me what time they will check in when i asked. so i am very very suprised that they made a big deal out of it. when i called them they did not respond. the thing is his phone charges extra i believe so he does not pick up and in check out he said he does not want to buy a new turkish line only for 3 days. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You are a Super Host because the 20+ guests enjoyed your space, @Shann1.  While the low rated review is problematic regarding your Super Host status, you cannot let it ruin your business.  Your response to the review is more important than the review.  A short professional response will alert other travelers to the dishonesty of the review.  Something like:  I am sorry that XX did not alert me to their concerns immediately so that I could respond as I had been assured the space was completely cleaned.  His experience is not reflected in the previous 20+ guest experience.

The review system is not perfect at all, but this bad review will be quickly buried in your future reviews.

If he gave low star only in cleaning that would have been partially undestandable (not that it is true and not that it worths 1 star after our regular cleaning lady cleaned the flat prior check in)  since everyones perception on cleanless can differentiate a lot.

But he gave me 1 in almost every criteria (except accuracy being 3 and communication being 2 stars). Value check in cleanless  andoverall all 1 stars....

@Linda0 thank you for your quick response. i did respond like you said. it hurts a lot though. seems like i will lose my superhost status because of this review full of 1 stars. because my 5 star rating came from 80 percent to 74 percent. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Best to gloss over this one time glitch.

Don't get defensive, rant or come off crazy in your review.

Take the high road.

"I'm sorry guests stay was not pleasant. Everything possible was done for their comfort. Guests would probably prefer a hotel in the future"

This way All hosts understand what you are saying and you don't scare off future guests.

Now to heal  your psyche:

Please put this into proper prospective.

1, I NEVER believe an Amazon product or an Airbnb host with all stellar reviews.  To the contrary, I get suspicious of manipulation.

2. You can still be popular and make money WITHOUT Superhost status.

3. Obtaining and maintaining Superhost status can make hosts neurotic.

Paul, I read your post -words of true wisdom- and I feel a bit more relieved if I may say.  I only hope that Guests all around the World can see things through your objective and civilized spectacles, trust in themselves and form their proper opinion about any Host's house when it comes to bookings. Not every Guest is a sheer nightmare like mine or Shann's Guests; so your post is very welcome and it gives my heavy heart a lift to expect the best Guest who is yet to come. And Shann, let's hope that such Guests will be confined and excluded from our Community in the end. Unless we speak-up they'll go on to haunt the next unsuspected Host. In life, Truth has a unique way to prevail above all insults and slanders. Let's keep positive. Paul, thank you. Ninette-Athens, Greece

@Paul - Your comment here is very helpful!!   I just had some guests that seemed like good guests while here, so I gave them a good review.   However, they gave me a ridiculously low score - far below my average for no good reason.  My place was as good as always!  I was searching for words to alert other hosts that these are not guests they will want to host.   Your guidance (shown below) seems to accomplish that!  Thanks!

Best to gloss over this one time glitch.

Don't get defensive, rant or come off crazy in your review.

Take the high road.

"I'm sorry guests stay was not pleasant. Everything possible was done for their comfort. Guests would probably prefer a hotel in the future"

This way All hosts understand what you are saying and you don't scare off future guests.

Kenneth18
Level 3
Markham, Canada

@Shann1

Just a suggestion, perhaps you should give a walk-through for each guest checking in. It not only allows you to meet them, and even check together with them if there are any issue with the house. I also guide them on how to use the appliances, as not everyone is familiar with it especially those from overseas. I hold a lot of pride ensuring the check in of the house is clean and to their liking. If there was a concern during the check in, i would address it right away. I understand how we are busy, perhaps getting help from your friends or family. This should eliminate 50% of their complains. 

The other 49%, i will message them every 2 days to make sure they are still good. Something like how are you, is everything still good. Is there anything I can do or questions for me to answer to ensure your stay is good. I know it is very tiring. That is how it is to maintain Superhost. Is it worth it? Very subjective. Other host won't be bother about that. They just want the money. So that is entirely up to you. 

The last 1% you just have to accept it. Unfortunately even i did everything above, they still complain. Some examples? I got complained about not having glasses. They don't like drinking wine with cups/mugs. Then there is no strainer available for them when they make noodles/rice. It is hard to scoop out the food without it. The most surprising one was my house has a "new house smells" Yes, i did check on them every other day, but these complain only occured after their stay. You can never win. And of course, those who don't like to give 5 stars as they just don't. Else, you won't improve or you are not 5 stars like shangri-la or hilton. Sorry, that is life. 

@Kenneth thanks for reply. as your suggestion  i do check in with almost every host. this was a religious holiday season where i was not present but my parents also cohosts which they called them were there and guests also were notified 7 days in advance via airbnb. in addition to that there was no wifi as also indicated in the profile so i mentioned them via airbnb 6 days in advance that we can cancel the reservation with no penalty or i can give them %5 discount. he responded back in airbnb wifi is np for us since we will travel all day. discount works. then in review he complaint about wifi. if airbnb sees via airbnb messaging that i give a discount they said they dont care how can they still complain about it in the system. 

@Kenneth18 how can you check with the person if he does not pick up his phone and does not respond to airbnb message. 

during check out only when i asked their opinion his wife started complaining. 

he said himself its ok we came here only to sleep anyways.  

i said why didnt you call me or my parents.  there was silence. he said there is a problem with their phone. 

we came here for only 3 days so we did not bother to fix the phone. and added its ok we came here only to sleep anyways.

then he gives me all 1 stars...

he left a huge box full of trash in the apt (which i took a picture of).

isnt it ironic that they left huge box of trash while complaing about our clean apt. 

@Paul154 your neurotic comment is right but it seems to me that airbnb guests in istanbul have these days security and privacy concerns. and being superhost does also counts as a safe neighbor for some guests.

and yes definitely more and more inexperienced guests are actually looking for hotels not airbnb. i will make sure to use your response one time. thank you for responding. it means a lot. 

@Shann1

I am sorry to hear that. So your one time you didn't check-in together with your guest, you got ding for all these complaints. That is sad, perhaps in the future you will consider having one person check-in together with your guest. I mean go through each room with them. ie - This is the kitchen, here is what is available. This is the bedroom, are you happy with the cleanliness? etc. 

Sorry, i didn't see guest complaining about wifi. So i will not comment on it. It is probbly from private message in your inbox. As to how do you check on the person who doesn't response to phone calls and messages. Well, just a week ago i have the same issue. I messaged them everyday but no reply back. Airbnb prefered that we use their messaging system. Since they don't reply, I would knock on their door. My guests is also only there for 3 days. I would knock on their door at night to ask them. Then remind them if they could check their messages and reply back. Since you have already responded back to your guest but in the future, i would have put that detail that you make several attempts to ask about your guest during their stay but no feedback provided. It wasn't until after their stay, they brought up a list of issue. 

@Kenneth18 @Paul154 @Linda108 

Below is the trash they left in the flat. While complaining about cleanless level. Plus they say they dont have soap but they threw away soap and other toiletteries as seen in the picture. Thats why i call it bad cruel and unfair review. And somehow the quality of my recent airbnb guests are significantly changing for worse wondering what that  i phrase it cruel and unfair. 

in my review i mentioned that they didnt make any demands before and during their stay. And like i said, the checkin procedure was communicated to them one week in advance. And doorman entrance and keybox are new checkin solutions airbnb also offers. Plus they could have called as well to ask where the sheets are and everything. 

Shann1
Level 3
Istanbul, Turkey

Left Box Full of Trash in the Apt

Fran2
Level 10
Launceston, Australia

That looks like they left out all recyclable items (plastics and paper) there doesn’t appear to be any food scraps?