Responding to Bad Unfair 1 stars Review

Shann1
Level 3
Istanbul, Turkey

Responding to Bad Unfair 1 stars Review

My first bad unfair and cruel review experience. And believe or not I got 1 star in almost all criterias. 

Airbnb Community and Experienced Hosts I need your support and help. 

Host was irrelevant. First day, we went to a security gate across the street and take key from security. She didn't come with us to explain about facilities in home. She obviously didn't check home before we arrived. Because of that I wished she would come with us and see the conditions of home. Toilet, bathroom and bedroom was dirty. Washbasin was muddy. There were hairs (other people's) on the bathroom floor. There were not toilet paper and hand soap (note: there was some hand soaps used by other people. It is not hygienic). Also, it was not good to see that toilet brush was fully sh*tty. Kitchen was untidy. There were water was drunk by other people and potato chips was eaten by other people in the refrigerator. And THE BEDROOM... There were hair (I don't know whose) on the bed sheet. We stayed 3 days. We tried to clean toilet and bathroom during our accommodation. We didn't touch anything in the kitchen. We found a clean bed sheet and was covered bed by that. All these things prove us that the host is irrelevant and didn't check home before us.

REALITY

My parents are my co hosts and they did check the apt prior check in. The regular cleaning lady came and were paid 80 TL. The house was CLEAN. actually they left a big box of trash in the apt which i took a picture of. The host DID NOT reach me or mention any of his remarks below. In his review He mentions security gate which is a risk and private information. 

Because in check out they mentioned they bought toilet towel and soap for the apt and left it all the package for us(we had it both but they said there was not enough and they did not like those). refund for their expense was provided. 

The cattle at the apt no longer works. 

I do believe they did this intentionally to leave a bad review and may be get money from airbnb or something. Otherwise why would you not call your host...... In check out when i asked why didnt you call me about it. He said its ok we only came to the apt to sleep anyways. 

What else can I do now at this point.....I really do not want to respond back to their review.....

AİRBNBS RESPONSE VİA TWİTTER

Hi there, we understand your concerns and appreciate that it is never nice to get a positive review. However all hosts and guests are permitted to leave feedback on the reservation and Airbnb cannot remove reviews unless they violate our guidelines : abnb.co/iAyGAy. However you do have the option to leave a public response to this review. Here you will be able to outline your point of view and address any issues raised in the guests review. This way, future guests will be able to see how you communicate and address problems as a host. We hope this helps. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Report this message Delete this message

41 Replies 41
Tanya109
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

It is unfortunate that someone was not able to meet them in person and do a walk thru. Not only to make sure everything is in order but meeting guests in person adds alot to their experience.

This is after all... hospitality. Little gestures like that add up...most of my reviews have been about how they were greeted.I stayed at an ABB in LA a few weeks ago...never saw anyone...just a huge house manual...very impersonal. 

Eventually the negative will get buried with more positive reviews. Good luck:)

It @Tanya109 should not. Because nowadays we have such options. Plus they were communicated about the check in details a week advance. As i i informed

security guards guards called me when they came for check in and i talked to the guests while checking in.  They called again from security

guards phone later asking something. I should have guessed 

Nothing but ego or bad intentions or stingeness can explain 1 star in all criterias. This is absolutely not fair. And there is nothing to do about it. When I read sooner or later one gets a very bad review in community guidelines i did not imagine this. Now i understand it better. And yes airbnbs review strategy needs to have a better guideline or be more simplistic.

Actually bad intention can explain it may be.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Shann1, I'm sorry you had this bad experience. I think every host has a story to tell along these same lines!

One thing I would suggest, is that you change your profile picture. It's very odd, and it would be hard to recognize you in person based on that profile picture. I don't know what to make of it, but it doesn't come across as a serious photo of a serious host. Just a thought! Better luck in the future Susie

Monica431
Level 2
Montesano, WA

I have had good reviews, but one thing I did get knocked down for was location? I am not sure that I understand what location means, as I have no control over them picking where I live and staying there. I live close to town, they have their own private driveway, and it is in a town that you chose to stay in... so I do not get how location can be something you get deducted for. Plus, there was zero feedback for the 3 star location. 

Hi @Monica431, sometimes stupid stuff happens. I got a 4 star review from a family who I thought were quite happy, and Airbnb told me (robot response) that there were shortcomings in my hosting. I wrote to the guest to ask what suggestions he had.  Here is what he replied:

"The 2 points I noted 4/5 are : - No full size bedroom - bathroom on second floor with a narrow circular staircases even if i knew the 2 things when I booked. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will revisit you for a future stay. Regards, xxx"

I bolded the relevant parts - "EVEN IF I KNEW THE 2 THINGS WHEN I BOOKED".  One thing is sure - there won't be a '"future stay" for this guest!

Ania12
Level 2
Henderson, NV

I wonder what is your opinion 

Ania12
Level 2
Henderson, NV

I have got comment from my guests "It is not an urban place. It is ghetto".

I have top reviews at this place since it is located only 1 mile from the Strip.

Airbnb manager told me that he doesn't see anything wrong with that comment. I wonder if I am too sensitive. Hmmm. 

With 3 years of expierence and over 200 guests this was my second bad expierence. First was the lady who told me that she is so excited to relax by the pool... I let her even check in earlier. At 6 pm my neighbors called me that party at my house is too loud and people are walking on their walls. I had over 70 people at my house! I finally was able to removed her at 11 pm after she was banging to all my neighbors doors calling me names. Still airbnb haven't removed her nasty review. Just sharing. 

Ania, Airbnb managers never "see anything wrong" when it comes to Hosts.... Afterall Airbnb Guests have and SHOULD always have the upper hand. Guests are on holidays, while we Hosts are rowing to support their holidays, but this apparently doesn't count in our favour and it certainly we're not measured on equal terms. As if we are OBLIGED to be treated like trash sometimes. All issues we Hosts face comes-along with the phrase " you fly at your own risk, you should have known better"..... meaning "you don't like it? withdraw!". This is NOT business though and it is certainly NOT Tourism and accomodation MORALITY. Ninette "Shades of Grey Loft" Vyronas, Athens-Greece.

Ania12
Level 2
Henderson, NV

I have got comment from my guests "It is not an urban place. It is ghetto".

I have top reviews at this place since it is located only 1 mile from the Strip.

Airbnb manager told me that he doesn't see anything wrong with that comment. I wonder if I am too sensitive. Hmmm. 

With 3 years of expierence and over 200 guests this was my second bad expierence. First was the lady who told me that she is so excited to relax by the pool... I let her even check in earlier. At 6 pm my neighbors called me that party at my house is too loud and people are walking on their walls. I had over 70 people at my house! I finally was able to removed her at 11 pm after she was banging to all my neighbors doors calling me names. Still airbnb haven't removed her nasty review. Just sharing. 

I am losing my superhost status because of an unfair review from a bad intention person as well...

He even gave 2 stars for location but his explain underneath is location was good. I told him that he needs to park in the street in advance and Istanbul is crowded you might not always find a place which I highly doubt he did not because it was holiday season so everybody was gone. He is a LIAR. The location was good but then gave 2 stars. 

* Location 2 stars explanation 

Location was good. But it is hard to find free parking slot in front of the apartment. There is a narrow street and so many cars on the street.

My first disapointment with airbnb that he did not remove this liars comments....and i am losing clients as well as my superhost status for it...even my new guest made fun of his remarks....

Dear Shann. You know how much time it took me to sleep quietly at nights after my last AND DEFINITE incident? A WHOLE YEAR! I quit Airbnb, I found a nice fellow who FELL IN LOVE WITH MY STUDIO and the AMENITIES that I used to offer to OFFENDING AND LOW-CLASS Airbnb "Guests" and I took some Yoga classes to reach the point to even SPEAK in public about my scalding experience!!! A WHOLE YEAR! And NO, I am never, EVER, getting back to Airbnb. I am here now because of an incoming email that I opened by mistake and lead me to this page. I remember your case. And frankly I don't know if you're still hosting. Anyway, Airbnb was a most unpleasant experience for me which I left well behind now but if you're still hosting I wish you well.

Ninette-and-Vita0
Level 2
Athens, Greece

It's very bitter to find out that Airbnb "listens" and supports Guests and their claims/complaints while refuses to hear Hosts on equal terms. My late ugly, discriminating and groundless slander from an immoral and disturbed Host, a certain [name hidden], caused me a bad (1-star!!!) review -among the endless 5-stars I've gained all these years from numerous sane Guests. This 1-star review is now bonded big size with my Studio forever as I can neither delete nor RESPOND!!! I resorted to Airbnb only to realize the subjectivity in favour of Guests alone. Airbnb vindicated a low class "traveller", with two trips only in his profile, who not only tossed and threw his used bedsheets and towels in the closet where I keep my clean ones (!!!), not only smeared all my window-glasses and mirrors using shaving foam but also sent staged photos to Airbnb to "prove" his allegations about my Studio being filthy and cheap, accusing me of being "unresponsive" because he found a pack of syringes and needles in the medicine cabinet which apparently he could not realize what these items serve in a First Aid Kit!!! The worst part is that he unpacked these items-I am still waiting for his explanation why did it- deprived my Guests from useful life-saving instruments and spread insinuating accusations against me, at my age and my status! I felt very bitter when I realized that I trusted Airbnb in vain to resolve this issue. So after my disappointment I started reading incidents Hosts faced in the Community only to reach to one single conclusion. Airbnb generally supports Guests while suppresses Hosts, measuring and translating EVERYTHING INTO MONEY. But money can not buy or clear a smeared reputation. And to my opinion this is bad business and raw discrimination as WE HOSTS were forced to sign a "discrimination abstinence" declaration earlier this year, other

@Shann0 wrote:

My first bad unfair and cruel review experience. And believe or not I got 1 star in almost all criterias. 

Airbnb Community and Experienced Hosts I need your support and help. 

Host was irrelevant. First day, we went to a security gate across the street and take key from security. She didn't come with us to explain about facilities in home. She obviously didn't check home before we arrived. Because of that I wished she would come with us and see the conditions of home. Toilet, bathroom and bedroom was dirty. Washbasin was muddy. There were hairs (other people's) on the bathroom floor. There were not toilet paper and hand soap (note: there was some hand soaps used by other people. It is not hygienic). Also, it was not good to see that toilet brush was fully sh*tty. Kitchen was untidy. There were water was drunk by other people and potato chips was eaten by other people in the refrigerator. And THE BEDROOM... There were hair (I don't know whose) on the bed sheet. We stayed 3 days. We tried to clean toilet and bathroom during our accommodation. We didn't touch anything in the kitchen. We found a clean bed sheet and was covered bed by that. All these things prove us that the host is irrelevant and didn't check home before us.

REALITY

My parents are my co hosts and they did check the apt prior check in. The regular cleaning lady came and were paid 80 TL. The house was CLEAN. actually they left a big box of trash in the apt which i took a picture of. The host DID NOT reach me or mention any of his remarks below. In his review He mentions security gate which is a risk and private information. 

Because in check out they mentioned they bought toilet towel and soap for the apt and left it all the package for us(we had it both but they said there was not enough and they did not like those). refund for their expense was provided. 

The cattle at the apt no longer works. 

I do believe they did this intentionally to leave a bad review and may be get money from airbnb or something. Otherwise why would you not call your host...... In check out when i asked why didnt you call me about it. He said its ok we only came to the apt to sleep anyways. 

What else can I do now at this point.....I really do not want to respond back to their review.....

AİRBNBS RESPONSE VİA TWİTTER

Hi there, we understand your concerns and appreciate that it is never nice to get a positive review. However all hosts and guests are permitted to leave feedback on the reservation and Airbnb cannot remove reviews unless they violate our guidelines : abnb.co/iAyGAy. However you do have the option to leave a public response to this review. Here you will be able to outline your point of view and address any issues raised in the guests review. This way, future guests will be able to see how you communicate and address problems as a host. We hope this helps. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Report this message Delete this message

wise our properties would be banned. Judgement should be made on equal terms, particularly when Guests know exactly what to CLAIM to slander Hosts. "Filth" is No. 1 accusation and every Guest knows it. So Guests always have the upper hand, no matter how much damage they do, either be items or reputations which to me is unmeasurable asset and once lost it's lost for good. By the way this Michael cracked my Miele hob (868 euros purchase cost alone, excluding replacement costs)- which my next Guest, if any after all this slander, shall have to put-up with spoiling his own holidays. I will NOT file a compensation to Airbnb as I know it is useless to even bother report it. I am really considering to withdraw my property and close my account with Airbnb after this lousy experience, as I too think that Airbnb REFUSES to SEE INTENTION in vindictive and mean Guests. All Hosts, you have our full support and sympathy Ninette and Vita "Shades of Grey Loft"-Vyronas Athens, Greece.

Kayla52
Level 2
Knoxville, TN

I am new hosting, and have only hosted two groups of guests so far. The first was great! The second one just left a negative review, and it has really discouraged me. His complaints were about the cleanliness of the place, which I had cleaned before arrived, I guess just not to his expectations. I will admit that the fride could have been cleaner, and that I didn't even think to clean under the bed, where there were a couple water bottles. He also only gave me three stars for the place being as described, although I think my post is very accurate about the space. I've had multiple people who have stayed apart from AirBnB look at the post and agree that it was honest. It isn't a luxurious or large space, but it isn't adverstised as such. It is also the one of the cheapest rooms in the city, so the price reflects the space as well. Honestly, it just makes me want to quit.

So the advice I need is: should I respond to the comment or leave it??

If I were to reply, it would probably be something like "I'm sorry this guest didn't communicate his concerns with me  in person so they could been resolved" and something about how it will be fixed in the future.

Dear Kayla hi, listen now... Bottles under the bed are not considered "cleanliness" let's be frank. I don't want to hurt your feelings but this job is VERY demanding re cleanliness. And not every Guest is "forgiving" (read what happened to me in a squeaky clean lodge). Here's a "secret tip" I'll give you if you continue hosting with this company, which I quit. Consider yourself lodging in a 5-star hotel room. What would "hit you"? What would make you feel unconfortable? What would YOU think of a couple of bottles left in the space? Exactly. You would complain too. So, before you leave your space, just close your eyes and "scan" the space again and again. Take your time. If you're in doubt, call a friend to take a second look. And only when you're positive that your space is super clean, hand the keys over to your Guest. And remember: This is a LOUSY JOB. You'll get LOTS of bad reviews about most anything. So, better be safe than sorry. Take your time and DON'T LEAVE THE PLACE UNTIL YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE IT'S 100000% CLEAN. And STILL you'll never be as appreciated as you'd expect.